[Completed] NBA's greatest defender?

Real Deal

Dennis Rodman. Forget, for a minute, his natural talents. He had size and strength, sure, but so do a lot of people. Dennis Rodman truly enjoyed terrorizing an offensive player, and he was good at it. There's something to be said for intimidation, and nobody can do that Rodman did.

I'm sure there will be lots of Bill Russell votes, but I would like to point out that Russell pioneered shot-blocking. I.e., the shooters of that era were not concerned with avoiding a block like players of the 90's were. Add in the level of athleticism that Russell's contemporaries possessed, and it would almost be embarrassing if he didn't defend the way he did.

Dennis Rodman. Forget, for a minute, his natural talents. He had size and strength, sure, but so do a lot of people. Dennis Rodman truly enjoyed terrorizing an offensive player, and he was good at it. There's something to be said for intimidation, and nobody can do that Rodman did.

I'm sure there will be lots of Bill Russell votes, but I would like to point out that Russell pioneered shot-blocking. I.e., the shooters of that era were not concerned with avoiding a block like players of the 90's were. Add in the level of athleticism that Russell's contemporaries possessed, and it would almost be embarrassing if he didn't defend the way he did.

what he said

and Zo is a close second for me

Edited by Clutch

LOL times 3. Sums up exactly what I wanted to say.

basically

Dikembe Mutombo gotta show him some love. No one was even thinging about going into the paint with him towering in it.

It still hate the way he had to go out.

http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mutombo-prst-mala.jpg

• Like 1

Quoting you. Thanks for summing up my thoughts.

Not Dikembe because Shaq abused him in 2001

Same for me. He was a warrior. Two time Defensive Player of the Year ('90,'91) and seven time All-Defensive First Team ('89,'90, '91, '92, '93, '95, '96). His achievements speak for themselves.

Edited by Confidence

Hakeem Olajuwon.The all-time NBA leader in blocks also sneaked into the top 10 list for steals...ridiculous. Hakeem has a similar resume as Rodman, winning the Defensive Player of the Year award twice and a five time member of the All-NBA Defensive Team...oh and did I mention his man to man defense? In the 1994 Finals, Olajuwon held one of the most talented big men to play the game in Patrick Ewing to a mere 18.9 points per game on .363% shooting.

I can go one or two ways with this.

If we are talking longevity of career its gotta Olajuwon. for the reasons stated above.

However from what I've seen watching growing up Ben Wallace in his prime was incredible. He literally shutdown the paint for absolutely anyone. He made ever single player on his team twice as better a defender from just knowing he was on the court. Look at that Pistons team that won the title, he basically won that title for them but just standing down low. That team on paper is really ugly but Ben Wallace made it a winner.

So career wise Hakeem Olajuwon, stretch wise Wallace.

Quoting you. Thanks for summing up my thoughts.

Not Dikembe because Shaq abused him in 2001

He was like 36 years old, and Shaq (best center ever to play the game of basketball) was in his prime that is not even a close comparison.

• 2 weeks later...