Raptors Extend Andrea Bargnani, 5 years, 50 million

Doc

Hedo Turkoglu is on the way and it appears that Andrea Bargnani will also soon have his long-term future secured with the Toronto Raptors.

Bargnani's agent, Leon Rose, told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Raptors -- who later this week will officially sign Turkoglu away from Orlando -- have reached an agreement in principle on a contract extension for the 7-foot Italian, who was selected No. 1 overall by the Raptors in the 2006 draft.

The deal, according to NBA front-office sources, would span five seasons starting in 2010-11 and earn Bargnani an estimated $50 million.

Rose declined to discuss contract specifics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312517&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

I'm not a huge fan of Bargnani, but this isn't a horrible deal by any stretch of the imagination. Players like Nene, Dalembert, Bynum and Okafor are making at least that much or more and Bargnani is definitely comparable to all of those players as of right now. If Bargnani is able to continue his solid play from the second half of last season and he is able to improve his rebounding and help defense, this deal may actually become a bargain in comparision to how over paid some of the other average NBA centers are.

Despite not being a big Bargnani fan, this is definitely a reasonable and understanding move. Wow, aside from the Kapono for Evans trade, I think that is this is the first time since Colangelo's first season with the Raptors that I have not questioned a move tha the has made.

NOOOOO!!!! terrible deal. Lebron is currently being paid 14 mill a year. Do you honestly think Bargnani is worth 10 mill a year?!

you guys are insane, im seriously considering finding another team to root for. Hawks at least realized it was time to rebuild, waited a couple of years, and now have a very good team. Why cant Toronto just do the same, they will have the support of the city regardless.

I really wanted them to take LeMarcus too. Clearly no one would have taken Roy at #1 so they cant be faulted by that, and while I dont consider him a bust, I really dont like him because we could have had a really good team if the Raps had taken LeMarcus, I really believe that.

Edited by bluedevil

Ok. Think about this. Andrea can be definitely compared to superstar Dirk Nowitzki, right? Well if you agree then compare both of their careers as of Dirks to his 3rd NBA year as Andrea just completed his 3rd NBA year. Now tell me, why not sign this guy to 10 million a year when he is comparable at a young age to Dirk, he may in fact be just as good as him when he gets to play in the next couple of years if Bosh leaves Toronto. This guy is only 23! ..

Dirk Nowitzki averaged 8 ppg, 3 rpg and played 20 mpg in his rookie season.

Andrea Bargnani averaged 11 ppg, 4 rpg and played 25 mpg in his rookie season.

Dirk started half the season also in his rookie year, Andrea started 2. So already you can see Andrea is a better player if you compare both of their first years in the NBA. In no way did he under preform, he was only adjusting to the NBA in incredibly small minutes provided which led to 11 ppg and 4 rpg for his team from him, i think that alone is impressive.

In his 2nd season his points per game dropped as did his minutes but both didn't drop by much. Yes he did have a bad year but don't forget he was 21 or so, he is playing beside a star big man in Chris Bosh and was still adjusting a bit to a roster that was changed up often ..

Now i'll compare Dirks 2nd season in the NBA to Andreas which doesn't do Andrea justice because Dirk indeed started all games for the Mavs in his 2nd season and played massive minutes; 35 mpg. Which in comparison to Andreas 59 starts and playing only 31 mpg.

However Dirk averaged with the upper hand over Andrea; 17 ppg and 6.5 rpg. Andrea averaged 15.5 ppg, 5 rpg and 1.2 bpg.

Tell me now is it worth signing him?

I infact think it is.. you trade him and you will see in the next 2 years that he will blossom into a Dirk like player, mark my words on that.

Bargnani isn't as smooth in the way he plays [at least yet] as Dirk is. He still moves like a robot with the ball. Iunno, 5 years is a damn long time, hopefully Bargs can continue to do what he did last year and just score at an efficient clip and get a few blocks once in a while.

^^^And dude it looks like you are comparing Bargs 3rd season, his 2nd season he shot like under 40% from the field, was disgusting to be honest.

But this is why Bargs was the right pick, does Gay, Roy or Aldy sign a 5 year extension at this point in their career in Canada? I doubt it, but Bargs wants to be here, hopefully he can keep growing, and this contract is meh because next year there would have been teams throwing money at a 24 year old 7-footer who can shoot the basketball as good as any big man. We would have had to pay him this much anyways if we wanted to keep him.

Andrea started to show promise the day before New Years against the Warriors. Thats when he started to get conforable, and score. Before italways looked like he held back, and wouldn`t attack. But with Jay putting alot of trust into him, he was able to play his game.O`Neal`s injury and trade was a blessing for Andrea because he finally got the playing time and the ball. I think he average about 18 ppg in 09.

I would feel much better about this signing if it wasnt for 10mill. I think the raps could habe gotten him for max 7 mill a year.

I highly doubt that the Raptors could've gotten him for $7M considering the fact that his Qualifying Offer for next season is roughly $8.5M. Do you honestly think that Bargnani would sign an extension for less money that the $8.5M that he would've been making next season?

As of right now, Bargnani is over paid but face the facts, big men in the NBA are historically over paid. Like I said in my first post, Bargnani is definitely comparable to players like Emeka Okafor, Sameul Dalembert and Nene and they are making:

Okafor: $10.5M this upcoming season and will be making $14.5M by 13/14

Dalembert: $11.36M this upcoming season and $12.2M next season

Nene: $10.5M this upcoming season and has an option for $11.6M two years from now.

Bargnani is a better player than Dalembert and he will be making less money than him. Bargnani and Okafor are certainly comparable players, and depending on the exact details of Bargnani's contract (% increases and the like) he has a more appealing contract. There is no way in hell that Okafor will be worth the $14.5M that he will be making at the end of his deal. Nene is the best player out of this group (although not by a huge margin or anything) and he is making $11.6M in two years. If Bargnani is over paid then every single one of these big men are as well because the only people that will say that Bargs is not at the very least comparable to of these three players (and better than Dalembert) are haters.

Plus, unlike all three of these players, Bargnani is still improving and only entering his 4th season. Bargs is already the best offensive player of these three players (although he is the worst defensively) and if he can improve his defense and rebounding to the point that he is at least average on both areas (he isn't far away from being an average defender, just needs to improve his help defense) than he easily would have a case to being better than all three of them. This contract right now may seem like an over payment because Bargnani has only had half a season in which he proved that he earned this deal, but if Bargs develops like he is capable of and becomes a 22/8 player (not unreasonable if you ask me, maybe the rebounds are a bit of a stretch because he will never be a good rebounder) then would paying him $10M per season seem like an over payment? No it wouldn't, in fact, it would be considered a bargin if you ask me because there would be no way in hell that a 22/8 type of big man would get anything less than $12M on the open market.

As of this moment, I can defintiely see where you are coming from by saying that Bargnani is over paid, but it is not even close to being a dumb contract or anything like that and Bargnani would certainly get close to this much on the open market (assuming he doesn't have a terrible season next year) due to his skill set and his potential.

I highly doubt that the Raptors could've gotten him for $7M considering the fact that his Qualifying Offer for next season is roughly $8.5M.

Didnt know that then I guess this is reasonable. Hed better develop though.

Didnt know that then I guess this is reasonable. Hed better develop though.

Oh I agree with you on the second sentence. Before I could deal with his up and down play but no longer can he get away with scoring 20 points one game and then the next 3 games he puts up a combined 10 points. He has to consistently bring it night in and night out now.

Taking all things into consideration, this seems like a pretty nice deal. If the contract works how these long term ones normally do, meaning each year, the contract ups itself by 10%, then his starting salary would roughly be in between $8 and $8.5 million, and reach about $11/11.5 million in his final season. That's not such a bad deal. If it looks like it's not going to work out over the first season or two, there's always some team who find the prospect of a shooting 7-footer too tantalizing to pass up. And if it does work out, Colengalo will look like a genius when Bargnani is averaging 24/9 + 1.5 blocks on a balanced team and doing it for the right price.

On the bright side, the Cavaliers just signed Varajeo for $50 million as well. If that's anything to go off, Toronto just got themselves a bargain!