Is Lack of Pure PG's a Good Thing for Rubio?

AboveLegit

Rubio's assist numbers will be insane when he comes over, no doubt about that. He already has like 6apg in Europe... and it's way tougher to get assists over there. In the NBA he's capable of averaging double digits. Still, his defense is suspect as he mostly gambles for steals... on the other end he can't score consistently to save his life. Facing much more athletic opposition will be tougher for him as his body is not as NBA-ready as you'd want.

He's a team player, he's a true PG with a pass first mentality. He's a Steve Nash in the sense that he could make players who are OK look good. I watch his games on NBA TV, and I'm pretty impressed with his basketball IQ and creativity. Not very turnover prone, so kill the Jason Williams comparisons.

You're going to see him put up Rondo-esque numbers till he improves his jumpshot (meaning he will be averaging 5-10ppg, and 6-10apg with a few steals).

How many true starting PG's are there in the NBA exactly? Let's make a list...

- Steve Nash

- Rajon Rondo

- Jose Calderon

- Jason Kidd

I might throw Deron Williams and Billups to the list, but I'm a bit hesitant with the amount of points they're capable of racking up.

The NBA as we know it is filled with combo guards, there isn't many pure PG's out there, which tends to throw off defenses. These PG's are able to expand potential on the floor, they bring out the best in their teammates, and they know how to run an offense.

Assuming Rubio starts when he comes to the US (let's not look too much into this, focus on the topic please), will his ability to pass the ball and run an offense give him an advantage over most international players coming from overseas? Does he need to improve his jumpshot in order to be an effective player?

He'll be a bust,I havent ever seen him in a real game, but I am just predicting he will because Euro players dont have a 40 inch vertical.

This. Oh yea, he can't shoot and he never played for the NCAA.

Seriously, though.. his potential is up in the air for me. I've never actually seen him play, so I'll just have to base it all off of scouting reports. Being that his b-ball IQ and his passing ability is as high as they say it is, all he needs is a legit jumper and NBA-level strength, and he should be good to go. It may take some time, but we'll see.

Edited by Poe

No way he averages double digit assists in the NBA. Flynn is the better guard, even Rubio knows it. Otherwise he wouldn't have fled Minnesota. ;)

lol...........

He went to Europe because he would have earned a combined 225,000$ in the NBA, while in Europe he would have earned 7,000,000$ in 2 years, woulda been an easy choice for me.

lol...........

He went to Europe because he would have earned a combined 225,000$ in the NBA, while in Europe he would have earned 7,000,000$ in 2 years, woulda been an easy choice for me.

Or, he couldn't buy out of his contract, so he stayed in Spain, got a new contract and is able to come to the NBA in a few years.

I just wonder how he will fit in the triangle system. He would obviously be great for the fast breaks, since the Wolves are trying to use that as much as possible, if not forced to set up the triangle.

Edited by Lone Wolf