Wali and the YouTube Account

Real Deal

• Owner

Guys, I know a lot of you contribute here. Aaron created every gameday topic and does our backups, Kyle and the moderators manage the forums, Epidemik moves gameday topics each day, BasX manages Twitter, and our writers and non-staff members create topics and reply to them daily.

I just want to point out that Wali (Waldo) has been ON TOP OF HIS GAME. He's managing our YouTube account, and...well, you just have to see it to believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/otrbasketball

He uploads videos every night or so. We have over 540 subscribers, and almost 900 videos, with a total of over 1,020,000 views. That is great, and it does take a lot of hard work and dedication to the site.

I know he doesn't want me posting something like this, because he doesn't like the attention or the constant praise, but he's way too young to tell me what to do, so he just has to deal with it. ;)

Show some love, guys.

Not much love from me. Not that I don't appreciate the hard work, but it's not.... smart... work. Not Wali's fault, he's doing what he's told, and being very consistent about it apparently.

What I don't like about the channel are a few things, and it basically all falls to the type of videos being uploaded. These are the exact same videos shown on both nba.com and the nba youtube channel. People aren't going to subscribe to a channel that shows the same videos as another channel, and it shows. 500 subscribers for a channel with 900 videos is extremely small. I mean, a half a subscriber per video? It's a horrible ratio.

I used to have a youtube channel, and it had almost 2000 subscribers, and I had only uploaded about 20 videos. Why? Because my videos were original.

I think it's apparent this OTR channel isn't working very well. All this work for very little gain. 900 uploads should have subscribers in the thousands... tens of thousands.

OTR should make a new channel, IMO. This time dedicate it to NBA analysis type videos, like the ones Blasko started making earlier this year, and get more creative with other original videos as well. It should reflect more about what OTR is about, and it's about discussing, analyzing, and learning more about the game. At least that's what I get out of this site.

Uploading the same videos that you can find elsewhere is just not the right direction.

Edited by Poe

• Owner

Well, I definitely don't have time to create videos like that. Blasco already stated that he doesn't. We don't have a mix team, because there are mixing sites (basketball mixing sites, on top of that) which demand those type of members.

While that seems like the best idea, it won't work here. I am having trouble finding dedicated posters that want to add content to the forums each day (200-300 posts per day), so the likelihood that I'll find a member or two that wants to create videos and mixes for our YouTube channel is out of reach.

Not much love from me. Not that I don't appreciate the hard work, but it's not.... smart... work. Not Wali's fault, he's doing what he's told, and being very consistent about it apparently.

What I don't like about the channel are a few things, and it basically all falls to the type of videos being uploaded. These are the exact same videos shown on both nba.com and the nba youtube channel. People aren't going to subscribe to a channel that shows the same videos as another channel, and it shows. 500 subscribers for a channel with 900 videos is extremely small. I mean, a half a subscriber per video? It's a horrible ratio.

I used to have a youtube channel, and it had almost 2000 subscribers, and I had only uploaded about 20 videos. Why? Because my videos were original.

I think it's apparent this OTR channel isn't working very well. All this work for very little gain. 900 uploads should have subscribers in the thousands... tens of thousands.

OTR should make a new channel, IMO. This time dedicate it to NBA analysis type videos, like the ones Blasko started making earlier this year, and get more creative with other original videos as well. It should reflect more about what OTR is about, and it's about discussing, analyzing, and learning more about the game. At least that's what I get out of this site.

Uploading the same videos that you can find elsewhere is just not the right direction.

Well there's the podcast for analysis videos, and the building blocks are added to that whenever the hosts find time.

It is true that the amount of attention the channel seems to be getting is limited, but even with that...

1) I hope that the uploads on the account are used by members on here whenever they need to link to a video in one of their posts. The library is almost two years old now, so there's plenty that can be found.

2) it's not only about the amount of subscribers. If someone is looking up a highlight on YouTube, and they come across one of our videos, they can see the link in the description, which leads them here. I've tried throwing in links of a certain forum on this message board, and I've noticed quite a few guests viewing that forum shortly after.

So I guess there's more to it than just the originality and a great deal of attention.

2) it's not only about the amount of subscribers. If someone is looking up a highlight on YouTube, and they come across one of our videos, they can see the link in the description, which leads them here. I've tried throwing in links of a certain forum on this message board, and I've noticed quite a few guests viewing that forum shortly after.

This might be true. The videos average out about a thousand hits each, so I suppose if even just 1% of total viewers clicked the link, that means the youtube site has brought in at least 10,000 guests.

Ideally, I would like to see a channel a bit more unique, and strictly dedicated to podcasts, player and team analysis, mixes, and so forth. People would be more inclined to subscribe to a more interesting channel, therefore more hits to each video, and would increase the amount of guests who stop by.

Like RD said, we lack a dedicated team of video makers willing to make this ideal channel, so I guess this highlights channel is what we got. But for what it is, I suppose it works as far as advertising through highlights and bringing a good amount of guests that may potentially become members. Good job on the near 1k uploads, btw.