Houston Rockets draft thread

Dash

Well our season is over and there is nothing better to talk about than a draft nearly two months away. We are likely picking at #14 or #13, who do you think we will draft and who are your targets? Do we try to move up in the draft?

My depth chart:

1. Hassan Whiteside

2. Donatas Motiejunas

3. Greg Monroe

4. Jan Vesely

5. Ekpe Udoh

Edited by Dash

I'd rather have Motiejunas than Hassan Whiteside, Motiejunas is at least proven at the professional level, in my opinion Whiteside could likely be a bust.

Good point about Whiteside, freshmen at a small school is a huge risk. I've never really been all that crazy about Motiejunas. He's going to take a long time to develop like Bargania if he can ever get to that level. He's also soft and doesn't rebound very well. Not to mention he doesn't play defense. He won't be an effective 5 and at the 4 I like Jordan Hill more.

Good point about Whiteside, freshmen at a small school is a huge risk. I've never really been all that crazy about Motiejunas. He's going to take a long time to develop like Bargania if he can ever get to that level. He's also soft and doesn't rebound very well. Not to mention he doesn't play defense. He won't be an effective 5 and at the 4 I like Jordan Hill more.

lol, Bargnani didnt take a long time to develop, Motiejunas is a beast though, has so much offensive game that its not normal, and that alone will get him in the league, he has way more moves in his arsenal than Bargnani, he might not play defense or rebound well but the Rockets need a big man regardless of skillset.

If we don't draft a center I expect a trade.

Couple guys I've had my eyes on all season on the permitter: Eric Bledsoe, Paul George, Xavier Henrey

I don't think we need another 2 guard. Martin, Ariza, Budinger, Lowry and Taylor have solidified that position. Jermaine Taylor is a solid prospect and barely gets any minutes since Martin's return.

I wouldn't mind Bledsoe though but I'm pretty sure Lowry will be back next season so there isn't a need for him. Although to be honest, I'm kinda hoping Morey trades for a pick in the 20s and steals Willie Warren.

I'd rather have Motiejunas than Hassan Whiteside, Motiejunas is at least proven at the professional level, in my opinion Whiteside could likely be a bust.

I wouldn't mind either but while Whiteside is a bigger risk, he is also the better prospect and our staff is known for molding draftees into solid players. Whiteside would benefit so much from playing under Yao, as would Motiejunas.

lol, Bargnani didnt take a long time to develop, Motiejunas is a beast though, has so much offensive game that its not normal, and that alone will get him in the league, he has way more moves in his arsenal than Bargnani, he might not play defense or rebound well but the Rockets need a big man regardless of skillset.

lol, I just don't want a soft European that doesn't play defense or rebound well that will take forever to develop. Unless his name is Yao Ming.. ;)

As for the guard situation I see Morey being very active this offseason so I wouldn't be surprise if we end up trading a wing and drafting the best player available.

lol, I just don't want a soft European that doesn't play defense or rebound well that will take forever to develop. Unless his name is Yao Ming.. ;)

As for the guard situation I see Morey being very active this offseason so I wouldn't be surprise if we end up trading a wing and drafting the best player available.

If thats all you think he is, then lol.

If Donatas is still available at #13/#14... there's no way you don't take him, lol. He won't be available, anyway. Greg Monroe won't likely be available either, and he's also a guy you don't leave behind.

Other than that, Whiteside and Vesely look to have potential, but may take some time to develop. Udoh doesn't seem like a player you want to pick this early.

^Most mocks actually have Motiejunas falling near Houston's pick or right at #14 (ESPN). Monroe on the other hand, I doubt falls to us.

Udoh isn't a bad pick but I'd much rather have the other four.

^Most mocks actually have Motiejunas falling near Houston's pick or right at #14 (ESPN). Monroe on the other hand, I doubt falls to us.

Udoh isn't a bad pick but I'd much rather have the other four.

Still goes back to what I said. IF Donatas is still somehow available, you absolutely have to take him. The guy not only fits well on the Rockets, but his upside is too great to ignore. I honestly believe he will likely end up becoming at least the third best player out of this draft when it's all said and done. He'll probably be a top 5 pick, anyway.

I love Whiteside. If he's there I would take him. IMO he can be the best player in this draft. I like Vesely a lot as well. His video's that I've seen are crazy. Definitely a fan of his.

Still goes back to what I said. IF Donatas is still somehow available, you absolutely have to take him. The guy not only fits well on the Rockets, but his upside is too great to ignore. I honestly believe he will likely end up becoming at least the third best player out of this draft when it's all said and done. He'll probably be a top 5 pick, anyway.

How exactly does he fit with the Rockets so well? He doesn't rebound well nor does he play defense. All the Rockets bigs play defense.

How exactly does he fit with the Rockets so well? He doesn't rebound well nor does he play defense. All the Rockets bigs play defense.

Not really...Scola and Landry are mediocre defenders but looked decent at that end because of their hustle and heart. Motiejunas would be insane next to Yao, we thought Scola and Landry were able to space the floor with their 15 foot jumpers but a big able to hit the long 2s and sink threes? Good God, its a shame that he wouldn't be much of a contributor for his first season or two.

And I'm not so sure about Motiejunas being a top 5 pick, I think he has the potential to be one of the top players in the draft but his stock has been late lottery in mocks.

Again I'm tore between Motiejunas and Whiteside. Whiteside's upside is ridiculous though but I agree that he is the more risky pick.

Edited by Dash

http://kilt.cbslocal.com/2010/04/29/rockets-gm-daryl-morey-talks-basketball-with-marc-and-john-42910/

Podcast interview with Morey. He mentions that the Rockets have had trade discussions with none playoff teams mostly about our draft position, possibly looking to move up.

• 3 weeks later...

Rockets workout Warren.

Warren's agent, Kim Grillier, said five teams in the lottery have contacted him about his client. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound combo guard worked out this week for two teams -- San Antonio and Houston -- with the Rockets holding the 14th and last lottery selection.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/05/15/2191134/willie-warren-working-on-attitude.html

Edited by Dash

• 4 weeks later...

Dash, who do you think are the main targets for the Rockets at 14?

Judging from your comments, mocks and things like that, it seemed like Motiejunas was the number 1 choice for the Rockets at 14, but with him pulling out of the draft that is no longer a possibility.

I also got the impression that they liked Hassan Whiteside, but as of late he seems to have done nothing but decrease his stock and last I checked, many mocks and analysts have him falling to mid 1st round. Would the Rockets still take him at 14?

With all of the uncertainty surrounding Yao, I would imagine that they are looking for a big man for insurance. Somebody like Cole Aldrich would be great, in my opinion, but I don't think he would fall past the Raptors at 13.

Daniel Orton?

Hassan Whiteside?

Ekpe Udoh, if he fall?

Is trading down and grabbing somebody like Larry Sanders or Soloman Alabi something that has been talked about?

Just curious as to where Houston seems to be leaning. I know that Morey usually keeps his cards tight to his chest so it is difficult to predict what he will do.

Morey immediately let the world know that he was gunning for the 3rd and 4th picks the moment the lottery was done with. However ever since then the Rockets' draft camp has been quiet and tough to read these past few weeks.

Now concerning the prospects you listed at #14...

Cole Aldrich - in a heartbeat, no need to even second guess this if he falls to the Rockets. However the chances of that happening are slim because, like you posted, of teams like the Raptors that would jump on the opportunity to snatch a Cole Aldrich. What is interesting though is that in Draftexpress' new mock, which was posted today, has the Rockets selecting Aldrich (Raptors take Bradley) but of course its only a mock.

Daniel Orton - Orton is actually the last guy (on the short list) I want the Rockets to take. He could be a decent player but from what I've read recently, he sounds more like a project than an NBA ready player like many tried to make him out to be.

Ekpe Udoh - a prospect I wouldn't be excited about but it wouldn't be a terrible pick either. He's got a nice skillset but I worry if he can translate his game into the NBA.

Larry Sanders - excellent prospect who will be going around the late 'teens and early 20s. He's got wonderful wingspan and shot blocking ability, if we're trading down then he's not a pick at all.

Solomon Alabi - he scared me away earlier in the year but apparantely he has been somewhat impressive in his workouts. Still not sold on him.

Hassan Whiteside - yes please. I've heard all the negatives about this guy but I still want him for one reason, the light at the tunnel. Whiteside has the tools and potential to be a top 5 player in the draft. The Rockets already have a roster loaded with talent and with Yao coming back and the talks of a possible splash in free agency, I think Houston is one of the few teams that can be patient and take a Hassan Whiteside and groom him for a few years before he makes any impact. Like you said, with Yao's future in Houston unknown, it might be wise to take a big man who could possibly be the cornerstone of this franchise.

Another prospect that no one hasn't mentioned in this thread is Paul George. Lately I've become enamored by his athletic ability and potential, he doesn't fill a big need but if Shane Battier is traded then Budinger will return to his natural position (SG) and George can run with the second unit. A second unit of Lowry - Budinger - George - Hill is insane. However, George slipping to us is also very unlikely to happen. I don't see Memphis passing him up unless Luke Babbit is available.

Again I don't really have any clue who we will end up picking but those are just a few of my thoughts. Right my gut feeling is that we will take Hassan Whiteside but my brain says otherwise.

• Like 1

Another prospect that no one hasn't mentioned in this thread is Paul George. Lately I've become enamored by his athletic ability and potential, he doesn't fill a big need but if Shane Battier is traded then Budinger will return to his natural position (SG) and George can run with the second unit. A second unit of Lowry - Budinger - George - Hill is insane. However, George slipping to us is also very unlikely to happen. I don't see Memphis passing him up unless Luke Babbit is available.

I would be absolutely shocked if he fell to 14, which is why I didn't mention him. I honestly think that he will be a top 10 pick and somebody like the Clippers will snatch him up in a heart beat. To be perfectly honest, I think he is a better prospect than Al-Farouq Aminu and he is the top small forward in this class as far as I am concerned.

I liked him from the beginning, but once the Raptors fell out of the playoffs and I knew that they would have a pick I really started to pay attention to the prospects available, and he has really grown on me to the point where, like I said above, I think he is the top small forward in the draft and could go in the top 10.

If he falls to Houston at 14, it would be a superb pickup, but I just don't see him falling past New Orleans, Memphis and Toronto. Maybe one of them, but not all three of them that it would take for Houston to pick him up.

This draft is going to be really unpredictable though. Usually I feel fairly confident that I know how a draft will play out and have been fairly accurate with my predictions, but I can honestly say that outside of the top 5 or 6, I have absolutely no idea how this draft will go down. It will make for a very entertaining draft, that is for sure.

And thanks for the info Dash!

Edited by Built Ford Tough

No problem BFT. :)

Looks like the Rockets are interested in acquiring another first round pick.

ELLIOT WILLIAMS

Williams received a lot of love from the San Antonio Spurs when he worked out for them in his first draft workout. He apparently is injured but not quite as injured as some are making it out to be. Instead, the word is that he was using that knee injury as an excuse not to work out for teams drafting below the Spurs. And he hasn't received much interest from teams drafting before the Spurs. Therefore, he was content enough with a strong commitment from the Spurs and decided to lay low for a while. After getting a call from the Houston Rockets, he worked out for them as well, but they aren't taking a guard at No. 14. Instead, the Rockets were considering acquiring another late first round pick to draft Williams if he is available, but Williams attended the workout because they have the No. 14 pick.

I've never really heard of the guy before but Daryl Morey and his staff are some of the best talent evaluators in the NBA, so if they are liking what they see from Elliot then I am definitely all for it if they do acquire another draft pick.

What is also interesting in that quote is that he is quite confident that the Spurs will take him if he's available. If Morey wants Williams then he better cross his fingers and hope that he slips past our Texas rival.

Another bit on George from the same article.

PAUL GEORGE

Paul George received a promise from the Timberwolves at No. 16. The Bucks originally had a lot of interest in George at No. 15 and it seemed like he would land there before the Bucks promised Larry Sanders. George is confident he won't get past No. 16. His agent knows the Rockets are taking a big man and he doesn't want to play for the Grizzlies, so there was only one other team he felt the necessity to work out for - the Toronto Raptors at No. 13. The Timberwolves are looking to put together an exciting young wing combination with George and Wesley Johnson.

Link

Chad Ford's new mock has the Rockets getting Aldrich, seems like he's slipping on everyone's boards. Might be a good reason why, I recall Adrian Wojo saying that Aldrich will be the bust of the draft.

Guest STL10

Chad Ford's new mock has the Rockets getting Aldrich, seems like he's slipping on everyone's boards. Might be a good reason why, I recall Adrian Wojo saying that Aldrich will be the bust of the draft.

That is where he seems headed in my Mock.

Rockets moving into top 10?

Same thing with the Houston Rockets. They say that they have an offer to move into the top 10 but are holding off to see what else happens.

-Swish

Live mock draft chat with Bill Simmons and Ford.

Bill on Cousins:

Quote:

sportsguy33:

Couldn't agree more. In THIS draft, I think he's worth the gamble at No. 4... although I'd much rather pick him and then trade him over keeping him. I think he could be great on the right team with the right infrastructure in place. Minnesota = not it. What teams would work for him, Chad?

My top-4 candidates (in no particular order): New Orleans, Houston, Detroit, Utah.

Simmons and Ford discussing who the Rockets will pick at 14:

sportsguy33:

With the No. 14 pick, Houston's Daryl Morey is doing backflips right now... he can't believe someone with a legitimate NBA skill (shotblocking) who can absolutely be a top-8 or top-9 rotation guy might nearly fall out of the lottery. Houston takes Ekpe Udoh, center, Baylor. Happily.

Chad Ford: Udoh over Aldrich? Close call, but you're probably right. My only beef with Udoh is that guys that are 23 are supposed to dominate in college (see Al Thornton) but when they get to the pros, they've already peaked.

sportsguy33: But at No. 14 in a lousy draft, if I can get a top-9 rotation guy who might be able to play right away, I'm grabbing him.

sportsguy33: As you know (we battled about it on Twitter), I was a Cole Aldrich fan in college and thought he could be a rich man's Joel Pryzbilla.

sportsguy33: Then he measured 6'9" in socks... I am no longer a Cole Aldrich fan as a lottery pick. But he should go 15-17 range... he's a solid backup center, no question.