Who Should Get What?

MainEv3nt

I find it funny how only me and Flash voted for UD as the sixth man. First of all, UD leads the league in double-doubles off the bench in one of the slowest-paced offenses in the league. He also leads his team in rebounding. He's easily one of the hardest blue-collar workers in the league, and he's also been arguably more clutch than Wade this year in the 4th quarter and has even hit a game winner or two. Also not to mention he's easily top 10 on defense for a PF in the league, arguably top 5. The guy plays beyond the numbers and comes up big when it matters most. Just ask any Heat fan, they'll tell you UD is the man, and he deserves that sixth man award.

Crawford will score, and AV will bring energy. But nobody deserves it more than UD.

You find it funny how two biased Heat fans voted for their own player? I don't think anyone else would find that funny a single bit. Haslem can lead the league the league in whatever stats he wants off the bench, that doesn't make him any more viable to win any award. It's obviously been Crawford this year who's been the best player off the bench and is thus deserving of that award. Also, Anderson Varajeo does everything Haslem does (and more) but does it four times better.

MVP: LeBron James

6th Man: Jamal Crawford

DPOY: Dwight Howard

ROY: Tyreke Evans

Most Improved: JJ Hickson

Coach Of The Year: Scott Skiles

All-NBA 1st Team:

PG-Deron Williams

SG-Kobe Bryant

SF-LeBron James

PF-Dirk Nowitzki

C-Dwight Howard

All-NBA 2nd Team:

PG-Rajon Rondo

SG-Dwyane Wade

SF-Kevin Durant

PF-Amare Stoudemire

C-Pau Gasol

All-NBA 3rd Team:

PG-Steve Nash

SG-Joe Johnson

SF-Carmelo Anthony

PF-Tim Duncan

C-Andrew Bogut

You find it funny how two biased Heat fans voted for their own player? I don't think anyone else would find that funny a single bit. Haslem can lead the league the league in whatever stats he wants off the bench, that doesn't make him any more viable to win any award. It's obviously been Crawford this year who's been the best player off the bench and is thus deserving of that award. Also, Anderson Varajeo does everything Haslem does (and more) but does it four times better.

He still deserves recognition. Bias can say that scoring is more important than defense and intangibles, or that AV is actually better. You can't ignore what Haslem has done this year.

Edited by Poe

He still deserves recognition. Bias can say that scoring is more important than defense and intangibles, or that AV is actually better. You can't ignore what Haslem has done this year.

He plays for a team which outside of Wade would struggle to be better than the Nets and his advanced numbers indicate that they are only slightly better with him on the court than without him defensively - a +1.1 on defensive, to be exact (-3.1 offensivley though) which really says that although he could be the greatest defensive player in the world, he doesn't have all that much influence on the game. He hasn't helped his team anywhere by 'graciously' choosing to be a bench player and despite what you say, I can ignore what he's done, because it really hasn't been anything that's worth an award. At least with Varajeo, he brings energy, long time considered a key characteristic for most sixth man of the year award winners, when he comes onto the court, as it shown with a huge +7.7 spike on points scored per 100 possessions when he's on the court.

Haslem is a rotation guy, a guy you would love to have on your team as a reliable back-up or as a starter with a limited role if you have no other option. What he isn't, however, is spark plug. That's what the sixth man of the year has consistently been. The last player under 10 points a game to win it was in 1995 and the last forward to win it was in 2001. The sixth man of the year is almost exclusively a guard's award and you have to do something special as a forward (or just have a weak guard crop going for the award, as in both 1995 and 2001) to win it. As I've said before, Haslem's season, although probably by his standards and your standards might have been successful, he doesn't fit any criteria to win this award. And his season has not been good enough to create a change in the system of voting or how the selectors choose their winners.

He plays for a team which outside of Wade would struggle to be better than the Nets and his advanced numbers indicate that they are only slightly better with him on the court than without him defensively - a +1.1 on defensive, to be exact (-3.1 offensivley though) which really says that although he could be the greatest defensive player in the world, he doesn't have all that much influence on the game. He hasn't helped his team anywhere by 'graciously' choosing to be a bench player and despite what you say, I can ignore what he's done, because it really hasn't been anything that's worth an award. At least with Varajeo, he brings energy, long time considered a key characteristic for most sixth man of the year award winners, when he comes onto the court, as it shown with a huge +7.7 spike on points scored per 100 possessions when he's on the court.

Haslem is a rotation guy, a guy you would love to have on your team as a reliable back-up or as a starter with a limited role if you have no other option. What he isn't, however, is spark plug. That's what the sixth man of the year has consistently been. The last player under 10 points a game to win it was in 1995 and the last forward to win it was in 2001. The sixth man of the year is almost exclusively a guard's award and you have to do something special as a forward (or just have a weak guard crop going for the award, as in both 1995 and 2001) to win it. As I've said before, Haslem's season, although probably by his standards and your standards might have been successful, he doesn't fit any criteria to win this award. And his season has not been good enough to create a change in the system of voting or how the selectors choose their winners.

So you are saying that only guards can be good a sixth man? Or that points are better than all around production?

Crawford is only a scorer, while Haslem is rebounder, defender, screen-setter, physical player, etc.

And the +/- stat can be deceiving. The Heat have a weak bench in general, while the Cavs have a strong bench. There's no way Haslem is going to increase point production by a whole lot when he's subbing in with Chalmers and Anthony close behind. Plus, the Cavs are an elite team, and they generally put teams away by a high number of points. Put Haslem on the Cavs and you might see the same result as to what AV brings, if not even better.

Without Haslem, the only good bench player the Heat will have left is Dorell Wright. Chalmers and Cook are very frustrating to watch, and Anthony and Jones' games are only limited to their specialties. Haslem has also arguably outplayed each of the starting forwards, Q-Rich who has been inconsistent, and Beasley who has had major ups and downs in his sophomore year.

Haslem brings more than just a consistent 10 and 8. He has been a big piece to one of the top defensive teams in the league, he seems to never miss a clutch basket being a big reason to winning many close games, and he steps up when other players are struggling. Without Haslem's energy and consistency, the Heat would have a worse record, and probably would have struggled to make the 8th seed this year. Without AV on the Cavs, they probably would still be the #1 seed. Without Crawford on the Hawks, comparing to their record last year, they would have only dropped 1 seed.

Anyway, I'm not giving an argument as to why he will be sixth man. I know he won't be picked, though I believe he should. I'm giving my opinion as to why I think he's been the best sixth man in the league this year.

Since we're all being homers

SIxth man: Redpierbasswilliams - all our bench players deserve that award.

Most improved: Definitely Jason Williams! - He didn't even play last season. WOW!

Ok, whatever....I didn't put Verajao at sixth man and since when is there a consensus most improved player of the year?

Who's your mvp? Dwight?

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Most Improved: Aaron Brooks

Coach Of The Year: Scott Skiles

All-NBA 1st Team:

G- Deron Williams

G- Kobe Bryant

F- LeBron James

F- Kevin Durant

C- Dwight Howard

All-NBA 2nd Team:

G- Dwyane Wade

G- Steve Nash

F- Carmelo Anthony

F- Dirk Nowitzki

C-Tim Duncan

All-NBA 3rd Team:

G- Rajon Rondo

G- Brandon Roy

F- Chris Bosh

F- Amare Stoudemire

C- Andrew Bogut

Most Improved: Aaron Brooks

Coach Of The Year: Scott Brooks

All-NBA 1st Team:

G - Steve Nash

G - Kobe Bryant

F - Lebron James

F - Dirk Nowitzki

C- Dwight Howard

All-NBA 2nd Team:

G - Chris Paul (idk if this will happen due to his injuries though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Rondo bumped to 3rd team and Deron fill in here)

G - Dwyane Wade

F - Kevin Durant

F - Chris Bosh

C - Andrew Bogut

All-NBA 3rd Team:

G - Deron Williams

G - Brandon Roy

F - Carmelo Anthony

F - Amare Stoudemire

C - Pau Gasol