Bryan Colangelo's European Approach

Colangelo wonders why Turkoglu doesn’t get more calls (“Hedo, for whatever reason, has just struggled getting calls but it has nothing to do with him being an international player”) and Bargnani’s limited trips to the charity-stripe are due to his hovering on the perimeter by design. But with Bosh out, Colangelo agreed that, “Andrea does need to get more post-oriented and get to the line.” Colangelo acknowledges his team has problems with defensive intensity but “that is not something limited to the international players.” “Regarding defence and intensity,” Colangelo wrote, “we seem to be challenged across the board.

“I have to continue building this basketball team following the same philosophy, convictions and instinct that have helped me find success throughout my career,” Colangelo said. “No disrespect, but I can’t let the media (or bloggers for that matter) dictate the way we conduct our business. In the end, winning games is the single biggest key to keeping our fans content and engaged.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/are-the-raptors-too-eurocentric/article1533610/

When will these "experiments" come to an end?

Colangelo has been doing the same [expletive] for the past 4 years and it has resulted in 2 playoff appearances (a combined 3 wins in those two series), 1 season over .500 and a combined record of 150-167 record for the Raptors (take out the insanely weak Eastern Conference from the 06/07 season and their record is 103-132). Yet the guy still believes that the game is "changing" and turning into a more European style of game (not that there is anything wrong with that style, it just doesn't work in the NBA) and won't rest until he is proven right.

It begs the question of how many more years are Raptor fans going to be forced to watch Colangelo's experiments fail year after year?

I can see it now, the Raptors draft Donatas Motiejunas with the 12 pick (or trade the rights to Amir Johnson and their 12 pick in order to move up to draft him) and Colangelo will rave about how Motiejunas, Turkoglu and Bargnani are going to be an unstoppable duo up front because of their size, shooting ability and matchup problems. The Raptors will continue to do well financially, Colangelo gets a contract extension and the process starts all over.

Again, I have nothing against European or International players. Dirk Nowitzki is probably my favourite basketball player outside of Steve Nash and I am fans of both of the Gasol brothers. But how many times does Colangelo have to fail with this European basketball mindset before he admits that this style of play doesn't work in the NBA?

Edited by Built Ford Tough

collangelo is an idiot he is in love with euro's..even the coach is euopean now

i dont have anything against euro ball either..but nba is in the americas, not in europe - and why on earth are bargnani and hedo gettin paid soo much...collangelo is just wack

i officially labeled raps as euro ballers when they traded tj ford and kept jose calderon