Sonny Weems: What We Hoped DeRozan Would Be?

Has Sonny Weems turned into the kind of player that most Raptor fans hoped DeMar DeRozan would be by the time the season was over?

Weems has steadily improved since the beginning of the season, and during the last quarter of the season he has really turned it on (averaging 13.6/5/2.6 on 49% shooting in April). He has done a good job of getting to the rim on offense, converting on his looks from mid range and played, for the most part, played solid defense night in and night out.

Meanwhile, DeRozan has been sent to the bench, has struggled over the past 2 months (April has statistically been his worst month of the season) and has arguably gotten worse as the season has went on.

Now I'm not saying that DeRozan doesn't still have the potential to become a good player and I'm not trying to hate on him because he is still young and has plenty of time to improve.

However, I just found it funny that the young, athletic shooting guard that Raptor fans are raving about is Sonny Weems and DeMar DeRozan. If somebody would've told me that at the beginning of the season, I would've told them that they are crazy.

Sonny is pretty good, way better than we could have imagined, he is a good perimeter defender and his mid range game is really good. Demar is 4 years younger but Sonny is definitely better right now and more polished, and that can be attributed to experience mostly imo, I think a future wing combo of those two is pretty bright when compared to what we have seen in the wing for the past half a decade.

I think Sonny has a future in the NBA after seeing what he has done for us this year, he has game. I am still on the fence about Demar, when he is in the game a lot of the time he is just kind there. Hopefully both guys work their asses off this summer because they will both be getting a lot of run if Bosh leaves, that is a lot of shots that will be available, so hopefully these guys can step up.

I think a Sonny/Demar SF/SG combo could be our future, and I am pretty happy with that considering who we are used to seeing there, two athletic swing men on the Toronto Raptors O_O

Edited by travesy3