PS3 YLOD

ManOnTheMoon

I just got my SECOND PS3 Yellow Ring Of Death, this is BS and they're giving me two options:

1) $150 for a 60 gb, same as mine now.

or

2) $120 for a 120 gb slim.

Im probably going to go with the Slim because i am tired with this damn 60 GB.

Have any of you had this problem?

Edited by Dazed

• 4 weeks later...

- Main cause of YLOD is overheating.

If your PS3 is the original phat one, buy a cooler to solve this problem. I use PowerWave brand:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWERWAVE-HORIZONTAL-STAND-COOLING-FANS-NEW-PS3-/390191343007?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_PC_Video_Games_Games&hash=item5ad937659f

It also has blue LED which is cool, but can be turned off if you're annoyed by the light... PS3 has a fan, but it doesn't help much, use this and you pretty much don't have overheating issue anymore. You can play 9-12 hrs straight without worrying of overheating. Note it is only for PS3 phat, not Slim... and you have to position your PS3 horizontally. If your PS3 stands vertically, you can't use this cooler.

- Second cause would be dust built up inside the PS3... it blocks the ventilation holes and causes the PS3 to overheat quickly. Use vacuum cleaner to do this... since vacuum is generally strong, don't put the head too close when you're suckin the dust out... do it once a month. If you use the cooler above, it helps to prevent dust build up. If PS3's not in use, cover it with cloth.

Use this cooler and your PS3 is pretty much YLOD-proof. ;)