Raptors Keep MLE; Acquire Wright and George from Mavs

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Apj5AikTs6qb.KiJssegRaU5nYcB?slug=aw-marionmavericks070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Full details here.

The Dallas Mavericks have reached agreement to acquire Shawn Marion(notes) in a sign-and-trade deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources said Wednesday.

The Mavericks and Raptors recruited the Orlando Magic and Memphis Grizzlies to help facilitate the deal. The Raptors will get Hedo Turkoglu in a sign-and-trade deal with the Magic rather than signing him outright. They also will receive forwards Devean George and Antoine Wright from the Mavericks.

Marion will receive a five-year, $40 million contract from the Mavericks.

Stackhouse will go to the Grizzlies, who will waive him. Only $2 million of Stackhouse’s $7 million contract for next season is guaranteed. The Grizzlies will receive cash, likely $3 million, to participate in the trade.

Toronto, which gets to keep its midlevel salary-cap exception, sends a trade exception to Orlando. The Mavericks also will receive forward Kris Humphries from the Raptors.

The Dallas Morning News first reported the Mavericks were nearing a deal for Marion, describing the trade as “on the lip of the cup.”

DeRozan will be starting with Wright coming off the bench. I dont think the add of George is that great but losing Parker it does make sense and he will get some playing time, but I like the addition of Wright

Raps-Turk, Anotoine Wright, Deven George, & keep rights to FA's and get MLE

Mavs- Marion, Humphries

Grizz- Stackhouse, 3mill

Orlando- trade excemption worth 10 mill i believe

I like this deal, we get rid of Humphries 3 mill contract, get to keep Delfino, and still have our MLE

very good trade imo

I posted this on NBAD and it is somewhat repetitive to some of the stuff that you all have already said, but I am too lazy to retype my thoughts so I will just copy it here lol.

This is a huge deal for the Raptors. Getting Orlando to agree to do a sign and trade for Turkoglu was something that I thought was impossible and just a Raptor fans wet dream. Awsome job on Colangelo's part in bringing in the Magic to the deal. After a really dissapointing past few seasons in which I was highly unimpressed with Colangelo, I am starting to regain a bit of faith in him. He has had a solid offseason in trading Kapono for Evans, extending Bargnani's contract at a reasonable price and now getting Turk in a sign and trade rather than a straight up signing which enables them to use their MLE this offseason (which they wouldn't have had if they signed Turk outright).

Now the Raptors are able to use their MLE to strengthen their bench so that they won't be sending out a bunch of D-League caliber players off of their bench. Their hands are no longer tied and they actually have more than the vets minimum to throw at players and try to bolster their bench. Now they can use the $5.5M MLE and get some depth on the roster.

Besides getting the ability to use the MLE (and the other exceptions), the Raptors got a capable bench player in Antoine Wright (Devean Geroge is done if you ask me). Wright, if I recall correctly, is a pretty decent perimeter defender and on offense can do a little bit (although not much). He gives the Raptors a nice player off of the bench and adds some depth to the team.

Also, if I am not mistaken, they are able to keep the rights to Carlos Delfino and Pops Mensah-Bonsu (although I think they still have to give up the rights to Parker) so they can go over the cap resigning the two of them and still have the MLE to use on another free agent. Things are definitely looking up for Raptor fans after this move. I am not 100% certain on this point so don't hold me to it lol.

I love this move on the Raptors behalf and my hope for this team next season has just dramatically increased. Now, all the Raptors have to do is get the right pieces with the MLE and then they may actually become a good enough team next season that Bosh will want to stick around and resign with them.

This also means they are benching DeRozan. Another bad move.

I don't agree with you, nor do I disagree with you. I just wanted to say one thing that is DeRozan being a starter may not be a bad thing in the long haul. He is not exactly NBA ready and won't be a huge contributor immediately next season so it might be better off for him to just come off of the bench for his first season and have his expectations lowered and not have as much pressure on him. Then again, having a larger role on the team may have sped up his development process but who knows. I like the move of bringing him off of the bench just becase he won't have as much pressure to perform (at least I think he won't) but I can see why you would consider him going to the bench may be a bad move.

Also, I could definitely see the Raptors bringing back Delfino and having him as the starting 2 guard and in that case, I would rather see DeRozan come off the bench and have Delfino in the starting lineup.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

BC comes out of no where!

We get to kepp the MLE, which brings us another FA. Get Wright a average defender who the raptors lose by Parker. We get George who is another ok defender but will prolly get waived. Ah I love it. Good Job BC.

Seems set in stone that the Raptors are bringing back Delfino, and using a small portion of their MLE on Rasho. This means we'll have around 4 million of our MLE to use on hopefully what would be our 6th man. Not sure what's available, I'd love to get a competent backup PG.

Seems set in stone that the Raptors are bringing back Delfino, and using a small portion of their MLE on Rasho. This means we'll have around 4 million of our MLE to use on hopefully what would be our 6th man. Not sure what's available, I'd love to get a competent backup PG.

I don't even think that they will have to use any of the MLE on Rasho. I could see Rasho coming to the Raptors for the LLE or maybe even the vets minimum. I don't think he will demand anything more than that to be honest.