Looks like there is a chance Mayo moves to PG

Mayo to summer league?

It is well-documented that second-year player O.J. Mayo is an undersized shooting guard at 6-4, so the Grizzlies coaching staff has invited the former USC standout to participate in summer league.

The goal is for Mayo to significantly improve his point guard skills.

Mayo, though, hasn't decided if he'll participate given his USA Basketball commitment. Mayo and Rudy Gay will be among the young NBA hopefuls vying for a spot on the USA squad that will compete during the World Championships at Turkey.

The Griz are looking to improve their versatility so Mayo's ability to play point guard at times could lead to a bigger, more potent offensive lineup in doses.

Mayo's shaky ball handling and poor decision-making have been major deficiencies throughout his first NBA two seasons.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/apr/25/europe-next-stop-in-grizzlies-three-year-plan/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Owner

I wonder if this is still being considered. If so, it means Vasquez will get little to no playing time (unless the Grizz explore trades with Conley at the helm, of course).

If not, it may mean Xavier Henry will be limited, because Tony Allen wasn't brought to Memphis just so he can sit the bench for 45 minutes.

Interesting situation, really.

I wonder if this is still being considered. If so, it means Vasquez will get little to no playing time (unless the Grizz explore trades with Conley at the helm, of course).

If not, it may mean Xavier Henry will be limited, because Tony Allen wasn't brought to Memphis just so he can sit the bench for 45 minutes.

Interesting situation, really.

I heard that he didn't do well at the point in the USA workouts/games... but who knows, I feel like he could be a solid 20 and 6 or 7 guy next year. I think his scoring's going up regardless, last year wasn't really a good year overall for OJ. Worse than the rookie season.

I bet Conley gets traded if Mayo plays point though, I bet he has some decent value out there, maybe to the Pacers?

Again back to square 1 with this team .. they should have gotten rid of Conley while the had the chance .. You have two RAW scorers in Mayo and Gay .. there is no way they work together unless there is a veteran or elite point guard running that team ..

I just can't be bothered with this team sometimes .. I will wait till Conley is gone and a proper point guard is in place to start watching them again.