Is Denver's Window Closing?

Who knows what happens with George Karl and his medical treatment? Chauncey Billups will be a year older next year and he has declined little by little. Kenyon Martin is seemingly always injured (two years ago he played 71 games, last season he played 66 and this season 58). Melo's going to be a free agent soon and I could very well see him leaving Denver and going to another team. What do you guys think? Was this season their best chance at winning a title (assuming of course they had George Karl at the helm)?

I agree with travesy. I don't think they really had a legit shot this year anyway, or even last for that matter.

After next season their window will be slammed shut when Melo comes to Milwaukee. The Nuggets better start rebuilding if they plan on winning anything in the next 10 years.

I have a better question: Was Denver's window ever really open?

Last year it certainly was. If they knew how to inbound the ball they had a very legit chance at beating LA.

I think next year is it for that unit though. Melo is probably gone after next year and their bigs aren't getting any younger.

Yes, some analysts sometimes favor them over us.

Well at full health this year they really competed with the Lakers.

The Nuggets go as Chauncey goes until Melo becomes a leader. Last year was a great year to build on. This year was as bad as it could've been.

Melo needs to become a leader now. 4 1st round exits in 5 appearances is terrible for a guy who's considered a top 5 star.

Melo needs to become a leader now. 4 1st round exits in 5 appearances is terrible for a guy who's considered a top 5 star.

This ain't the PGA. The playoffs isn't a one on one tournament. Basketball is a team game.

This ain't the PGA. The playoffs isn't a one on one tournament. Basketball is a team game.

I really don't know what I said that triggered this comment.

But seriously, 5 years in the playoffs, and I still don't see that mentality where he won't let his team lose.

He has plenty of talent around him. Since I didn't see him win a game solely like we've seen LeBron and Kobe have done, I believed that Chauncey would need to lead this team.

honestly, i think gettin rid of camby and iverson was stupid

if they had kept those 2 and THEN you saw a healthy nene and return of birdman, with a different approach by george karl and his system..and melo coming back with a different mentality after his olympics experience..they could've been very dangerous

and to be fair..melo's earlier 1st round exits were against some VERY good teams lol...spurs and lakers like 3 of the 4 times or something i think...this year was just a mess with other issues goin on you could tell so i give him a pass on this one

if they had kept those 2 and THEN you saw a healthy nene and return of birdman, with a different approach by george karl and his system..and melo coming back with a different mentality after his olympics experience..they could've been very dangerous

and to be fair..melo's earlier 1st round exits were against some VERY good teams lol...spurs and lakers like 3 of the 4 times or something i think...this year was just a mess with other issues goin on you could tell so i give him a pass on this one

But they won the first game against the Spurs in both series against them, and they lost four straight in both. No sign of improvement after the first. And they got swept by the Lakers. You'd think there would be some progress yearly. They got Chauncey and we saw a nice showing but they're at it again this year.

No, those were brilliant moves, Camby was terrible defensively and Iverson doesnt fit with the rest of the team.

• Owner

Denver never had a chance this season, even when healthy. The Lakers, Spurs and possibly even the Mavericks would've tossed them in the playoffs.

By the way, before this season, Chauncey Billups had reached the conference finals seven consecutive times. That has to be a record (or close to it) for an individual player, at least in the last 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

^Not a chance? LMAO we were just as hot as any team in the L, then GK had to step down. Despite the 13-13 record to close the season, we still managed 53 wins.

I'd like to think in that 26 game stretch, we'd have been better than 13-13 with GK as the head coach... maybe 18-8? That would have put us at 58 wins which put us over the Lakers (57 wins) for #1 seed? I guess then everyone would say we're legitimate championship contenders.

What makes me remain puzzled though is the refs seem to favor the no-name scrubs like Matthews and Miles who flopped like crazy over the real superstar Melo? Ain't David Stern refs supposed to protect the real superstars? Not SCRUBS?

Then just as the series was over, I went to RealGM's Utah sub forum and they bragged how much better their team was than us... and called our 2008-09 WCF season a "fluke".

WOW... their fans are so annoying I actually supported my most hated team Lakers to win the series. Laker fans, you don't have to worry... compared to Jazz fans, you look like angels. You're not the worst.

Then I had to watch Miles and Matthew flop exactly the same when they had Kobe and the refs let them play. Beautiful. But I was so pissed at Jazz fans I wanted Lakers to beat them bad.

Anyway, I am satisfied the Lakers have done their job. Finish off the Jizz!!! Now I know and I think it should come to EVERYONE's attention that that 1st round (Nuggets-Jazz) series was a fluke. EVERYTHING. Their win. Our loss. At least we beat the Lakers twice and could have beat them more if not for some boneheaded inbounds plays. Their 2nd round accomplishment should have an asterisk next to it that reads "Denver missing their head coach".

Missing a headcoach is a great deal... it's leadership. I know I said GK almost quit but Chauncey changed everything. The man himself admitted it publicly. And I don't care if GK had to have Chauncey by his side, a sex toy, or anything funny to make him function... but bottom line is the team finally responded to him, his coaching, his leadership after Chauncey came. When he had to step down and AD had to take over (it doesn't help he's not so vocal), everything changed.

I don't care if Jerry Sloan has programmed Phil Johnson exactly like him, to coach and lead exactly like him... if you take out Sloan out, they wouldn't be the same team. Same with Lakers without Phil Jackson, even if Brian Shaw is so charismatic/ can relate to players and his players can run the triangle without the coach, it just WOULD NOT BE THE SAME without your team's head coach, without that presence.

Edited by SnakeJr

I thought this was the year, but Karl's absence really hurt them in those clutch moments. Given that there will be no significant additions then I woul say yes, the window has closed. I love Melo, but he needs more helpers.

I agree with travesy. I don't think they really had a legit shot this year anyway, or even last for that matter.

After next season their window will be slammed shut when Melo comes to Milwaukee. The Nuggets better start rebuilding if they plan on winning anything in the next 10 years.

This guy is saying that while reppin the bucks hahahaha ..

Seriously if the Nuggets had Karl coaching them these playoffs they would be playing the Lakers in the WCF.