Lakers' Jackson says Suns' Nash carries ball

NBA.com

EL SEGUNDO (AP) -- Lakers coach Phil Jackson thinks the Phoenix Suns' star point guard sometimes plays a bit too much like a running back.

With a mischievous grin, Jackson said Friday that it's tough for Los Angeles to prepare to face Steve Nash during defensive practice because of the two-time MVP's style with the basketball.

"Yeah, because you can't carry the ball like he does in practice," Jackson said. "You can't pick that ball up and run with it."

Jackson turned his palm over while he spoke, making the officials' gesture for palming of the basketball.

Little nervous that Nash is going to own Fisher?

• Owner

Mind games, nothing more. Phil doesn't seem to worry about ANYTHING, which is weird.

But as far as Fisher getting stuck in the post with Richardson or Hill, not a problem. Fisher is really one of the worst PG's to post up against, along with Billups. Both are a little too strong. If you want to eat Fisher alive, you stick Barbosa in the game with Nash still out there, and force Derek to defend one.

Won't happen, though...because Bynum and Odom will be out on Nash, and Fisher will be stuck with Amare, on those PNR switches.

LA has a counter, though, and it rings to the tune of two guys capable of scoring 30 a night on them, and if Bynum was healthy, he and Odom would be two others dropping 15-20 with effort.

Like it was said, they got to worry about Fisher hitting deep threes on them as well.

Either way, Gasol will have a field day on Amare while Kobe can just do whatever he wants. Grant Hill is their best defender, but I dont think he can keep up with Kobe anymore..

Mind games, nothing more. Phil doesn't seem to worry about ANYTHING, which is weird.

But as far as Fisher getting stuck in the post with Richardson or Hill, not a problem. Fisher is really one of the worst PG's to post up against, along with Billups. Both are a little too strong. If you want to eat Fisher alive, you stick Barbosa in the game with Nash still out there, and force Derek to defend one.

Won't happen, though...because Bynum and Odom will be out on Nash, and Fisher will be stuck with Amare, on those PNR switches.

LA has a counter, though, and it rings to the tune of two guys capable of scoring 30 a night on them, and if Bynum was healthy, he and Odom would be two others dropping 15-20 with effort.

Amare/JRich are both capable of dropping at least 30 a night also ;)

• Like 2

• Owner

Amare/JRich are both capable of dropping at least 30 a night also ;)

If Richardson drops 30 in two of these games, and Kobe is the one defending him, he (Bryant) needs to retire.

Amare can get those buckets, but we want Nash to be the second player trying to get 30. Forcing Nash to score the ball is better than letting the Suns knock down 200 threes.

I think I've seen Nash carry it a couple times and noticed, but so many other players travel so much more without getting called. I'm not really complaining cause it happens lol. Refs dont expect it from nba playeres :P

If Richardson drops 30 in two of these games, and Kobe is the one defending him, he (Bryant) needs to retire.

Amare can get those buckets, but we want Nash to be the second player trying to get 30. Forcing Nash to score the ball is better than letting the Suns knock down 200 threes.

But sometimes that backfires. Look at game 1 against the Spurs.. He had 33 points along with 10 assists and Suns dominated when Nash scored the ball. We'll see how it turns out.

Nash's comments to this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5191524

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns have reacted with a collective smirk to Phil Jackson's suggestion that Steve Nash travels with the basketball.

Nash even had a subtle retort worthy of Jackson himself.

"It's news to me. I'm fortunate. I don't know if I've been called for a carry yet," he said after the Suns practiced Saturday, then he added straight-faced: "I've never heard anyone accuse me of carrying it. I mean, the best coach in the league Gregg Popovich [of San Antonio] didn't have a problem with it last week."

Get it? Popovich the best coach in the league?

"We have the best officials in the world," Nash continued. "I'll just leave it up to them."

Phil Jackson needs to stop complaining and moaning to the media before series to try and get calls. He did the same thing with Kevin Durant in the first round. And no Nash doesn't "carry the ball".

Phil does this in every series. Hes done it his whole career. He plays mind games with the opponent, and sometimes even his own team. Never underestimate the zen master. ^_^