Hakeem reaches out to Dwight Howard before big game

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en_fuego/files/2010/05/hakeem-olajuwon.jpg

Hakeem reaches out to Dwight Howard before big game

BOSTON _ Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard got an emotional pick-me-up from another big guy before Monday night’s Eastern Conference game against the Boston Celtics:

Hakeem Olajuwon, the former great with the Houston Rockets, talked to Dwight to offer words of inspiration.

“Me and him had a great talk,” Howard said. “He just inspired me to keep playing.

“So I didn’t want to give up, because I just felt like there was a lot of people pulling for us to keep going. That was it.”

So how did that work out?

Hours later, after all the elbows, all the energy and all the excitement, Howard finished 32 points, 16 rebounds and 4 blocks.

Superman stats. An effort of will and perseverance, when his team needed a huge pick-me-up.

Orlando 96, Boston 92, in overtime.

“Well, you know we were down 3-0,” Howard said. “We didn’t want to go home.”

But go home they do.

With a chance to play again, and win at Amway Arena before the old place shuts down permanently.

Perhaps it’s best to keep Hakeem’s number on speed dial.

Source

:)

I really hope Orlando can win this series. I'm tried of hearing the stat about no team ever being able to come back from a 3 - 0 defiocit.

I really hope Orlando can win this series. I'm tried of hearing the stat about no team ever being able to come back from a 3 - 0 defiocit.

Yeah, Stuart Scott said last night after the game that the Boston Celtics historically have always swept if leading a series 3-0. We won a game, he also said there was no statistic if we manage to make the series 3-2. So I hope this gets interesting.

Same here. I would rather see Celtics-Lakers... but it would excite me if Orlando can force Game 7 and actually win. I think the last time it happened in 2002/3, Blazers forced Game 7 vs Mavs after being down 0-3... Sheed was still on that team, he was injured and they had to rely on a young guy (Zach Randolph) and he was a beast.

Hakeem Olajuwon seems to be doing a lot of working helping out young big men in the league. Hasheem, Al Jeff and Dwight. I'm sure there's a lot more of big men who worked with Olajuwon this year.