Tyson Chandler May Become Free Agent

Bobcats center Tyson Chandler is seriously considering exercising the early termination option in his contract, a source told ESPN.com's Chad Ford.

If he does so, he'll give up the $12.6 million he's scheduled to earn in 2010-11 and would become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

Chandler has struggled over the last two seasons, but the source says he's finally completely healthy.

"He's gotten all of his issues taken care of," the source said, "and he's gearing up to have a big year next season. I think you're going to see the same Tyson who played so well for the Hornets a few years ago."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67143/20100611/tyson_chandler_may_become_free_agent/

I'd love to see him in Miami as well. Comparing to the rest of free agency this summer, there is a huge lack of depth at center, so many teams will be interested in him. This may not be a bad move on his part.

Looking at it from a financial standpoint, it is a terrible move on his part. Center depth or no center depth, he isn't going to get anything close to the $12M or whatever it is that he would make next season if he picked up his option. Add in his underwhelming season last year and the constant injury concerns around him, and it gives teams even less of an incentive to pay him.

However, if you look at it from a winning standpoint, then you could make the argument that it would be a smart move on his part to try and latch onto somebody like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or a Chris Bosh and join one of the marquee free agents wherever they go. If he goes to Miami for cheap and the Heat bring in somebody like Amare or Boozer (or Bosh) while retaining Wade, he would be a great fit as a defensive anchor for that team. Or he could sign in Cleveland, if LeBron stays, and be a nice fit there with his defensive ability, productiveness in pick and rolls and lob finishing ability.

He could find himself in a very nice position when it comes to winning a championship, but he won't be in anything remotely close to the same financial position that he would be if he stayed with Charlotte.

I was originally going to come in here and disagree with you 100%, but after typing this I can see where you are coming from, haha.