McGee Attempts to Transform His Game

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/McGee_Javale_was_081008.jpg

McGee Attempts to Transform His Game

"JaVale McGee was walking around an area store last week with his cousin, Mario Coleman, when they spotted a toy from McGee's favorite character from his favorite movie of the summer, "Transformers 2." McGee purchased the Optimus Prime voice-changer helmet, then the self-professed video junkie went home and recorded a promo for his own version of the next installment of the action thriller, "Transformers 3: The Rise of McGee."

Calling himself, "OptiMcGee Prime," the second-year center posted a two-minute video on YouTube in which he spoke into a camera for a few minutes, saying such gems as, "One shall stand. One shall fall." The video proved two things. One, that McGee is still a kid at 21. And two, he has had a lot of free time on his hands since his rookie season ended in April.

"I was having fun with it," McGee said with a chuckle.

But McGee said he has done more than make silly videos this offseason. He has committed to an offseason program to add mass to his scrawny frame and worked on developing a consistent jump shot and some reliable post moves. As the Wizards hold their first mini-camp practice today in preparation for summer league games next week in Las Vegas, the 7-foot McGee said he is eager to take steps toward his own transformation from being a prospect with potential to a productive backup.

"I'm definitely transforming into a better player and transforming into what people didn't think I would be," McGee said. "I'm here to work as hard as I can to show that I can contribute to the team and get more minutes this year."

McGee certainly has his opportunity after the Wizards sent veteran big men Etan Thomas and Darius Songaila to Minnesota as part of the package that landed guards Randy Foye and Mike Miller. That left the Wizards with considerable depth in the backcourt, but an inexperienced frontcourt, with McGee, third-year forward Dominic McGuire, 23, and fifth-year forward Andray Blatche, who at 22 is still the team's third-youngest player. "

----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/11/AR2009071100208.html

If he would get more playing time.......damn.

We traded away almost everyone that took away minutes from McGee. Songaila was a huge reason why McGee never saw the court. Etan, for a while, kept him on the bench. Pecherov really didn't contribute at all, but I'm glad he's gone. :lol:

I guess. But he should've got 30 minutes per game last year. Stupid Tapscott.

I agree. Every game that Tapscott played McGee for less than 10 minutes I wanted to shoot him. Honestly, if Haywood isn't there to play, and you know the season is going down the drain, why not let your rookie take advantage of the opportunity for some early NBA experience? McGee is at least in the top 5 for most potential in his draft class.