Raptors to Sign Jarret Jack to Offer Sheet

ken Berger of CBSSports.com is reporting that the Raptors are close to signing restricted free agent Jarrett Jack to an offer sheet.

If Jack signs with Toronto, the Pacers would have seven days to match the offer.

Sure most you guys will see this when you check realGM, what are your thoughts on this? Personally I love this potential signing, I hate Roko as a backup and Banks is useless, it would suck having 4 PG's under contract, and 3 of which to deals taking a considerable hit on the cap but w/e.

He should start.

No he shouldn't. Calderon is clearly better than Jack. Yeah Jack plays better defense but other than that Calderon is undoubtedly the superior player to Jack. Hell, I would even start last years injured version of Calderon over Jack.

Jack would make an excellent back up point guard though. I would rather the Raptors sign a starting shooting guard with their MLE but I would not be upset in the least bit if they end up signing Jack to back up Jose. If Jose does happen to go down with an injury during the course of the season Jack would be a more than acceptable back up for him. He can also play a little bit of two guard so we might even see Jose and Jack play together.

I would definitely not be opposed to the signing if it were to happen although I would rather the Raptors find a way to sign Marquis Daniels, Jack would be a very good second choice for me.

My number 1 choice right now would be targeting Josh Childress honestly. Iunno if he'd be in our price range, but the Hawks have already dropped money on Craw, Bibby and Zaza so far, and have Childress and Marvin as RFA's if I remember correctly. Childress would be a huge signing.

Jarret Jack, from what I hear, would be kinda like a mini TJ Ford for us, the opposite of Jose? A slasher? Iunno I don't really watch him much but he put up some nice numbers last year.

I'd take Jack's scoring AND defensive ability over Calderon's one dimensional game of play making. Who needs a play maker on the court when you can have Hedo manning the floor. He did fine with Nelson who is also alike Jack where they are more of a scorer than playmaker.

Jack > Jose.

^^That's a good point with having Hedo on the floor now, it depends who we have playing the two though IMO, Delfino would help too. There's a reason we won 47 games when TJ Ford was the main PG on the team.

Anyways here is a little update:

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2009/07/four-years-on-jarrett-jack-offer-sheet.html

It didn’t take Bryan Colangelo long at all to make his next free agent move.

The Raptors president and general manager will, if he hasn’t already, extend a four-year contract offer sheet to free agent guard Jarrett Jack.

He also raises a good point later in the article suggesting he might be able to play a bit of the 2, I don't remember how it went but I remember us playing Jose and TJ together at times.

No he shouldn't. Calderon is clearly better than Jack. Yeah Jack plays better defense but other than that Calderon is undoubtedly the superior player to Jack. Hell, I would even start last years injured version of Calderon over Jack.

Jack would make an excellent back up point guard though. I would rather the Raptors sign a starting shooting guard with their MLE but I would not be upset in the least bit if they end up signing Jack to back up Jose. If Jose does happen to go down with an injury during the course of the season Jack would be a more than acceptable back up for him. He can also play a little bit of two guard so we might even see Jose and Jack play together.

I would definitely not be opposed to the signing if it were to happen although I would rather the Raptors find a way to sign Marquis Daniels, Jack would be a very good second choice for me.

I agree. Esp with the bolded.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4321678

Indiana Pacers restricted free agent Jarrett Jack signed an offer sheet for four years, $20 million with the Toronto Raptors, NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com.

The Pacers have seven days to match the offer, which they expect to receive Sunday or Monday. Given the Pacers financial situation, it's unlikely they will match the offer, a source close to the process told ESPN.com.

Jack averaged a career-high 13.1 points, 3.4 rebounds and 4.1 assists for the Pacers last season. He started the final month of the season.

Jack would probably back up Jose Calderon at point guard in Toronto.

Hmm, 5 million for a backup PG? This means we got like 20 mill tied up in our PG's lol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4321678

Hmm, 5 million for a backup PG? This means we got like 20 mill tied up in our PG's lol.

I expect Douby to be moved and one of Banks or Ukic as well.

But as for this signing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GoCvuu0dlQ

Edited by BasX

I'd take Jack's scoring AND defensive ability over Calderon's one dimensional game of play making. Who needs a play maker on the court when you can have Hedo manning the floor. He did fine with Nelson who is also alike Jack where they are more of a scorer than playmaker.

Jack > Jose.

Calderon is just as good at scoring the ball as Jack is, Calderon's problem is that he doesn't shoot the ball enough. When Calderon is actually aggressive on the offensive end of the floor I would take his high percentage, efficient offensive game over Jack's slightly better scoring ability. Calderons cored 0.3 less points per game then Jack did last season on 1 less shot attempt a game. Calderon is the superior shooter from deep and mid range while Jack is a better slasher. Jack is a slightly better scorer than Calderon is but when Calderon is playing aggressively and not just being completely passive on the offensive end and not looking for his shot at all, I would take him over Jack any day of the week.

Having Hedo and Calderon on the floor will make Calderon even more dangerous on the offensive end of the floor anyways. Calderon is one of the best shooting point guards in the entire NBA. With Turkoglu on the floor the Raptors can use Calderon as more of a shooter rather then the primary playmaker. They can give the ball to Hedo on top of the arc and have Jose in the corner as a shooting threat. If teams collapse on Hedo's penetration, Calderon might get a wide open look and I would sure as hell rather have Calderon getting open looks from the perimeter than Jack because Calderon is a much, much better shooter. The Raptors can also have Calderon come off of screens and things like that to get him open jumpers and again, I would rather have Calderon shooting a jumper than Jack.

I make no arguments on you about the defensive end of the floor but Jose is undoubtedly a better player than Jarrett Jack. Jack is a better slasher and defender (and I guess rebounder), but Jose is better than him at every other facet of the game. The bottom line is that I would much rather have 12.8/8.9 on 49.7/40.6 shooting than 13.1/4.5 on 45.3/35.3 shooting from my point guard regardless of whether or not the Raptors have added another playmaker on the floor in Hedo.

PS: Since when is having two good playmakers on the court at the same time a bad thing anyways? I could see if Jose was like Brevin Knight and couldn't hit a jumper on offense but having Hedo is just going to make Jose better.

^^That's a good point with having Hedo on the floor now, it depends who we have playing the two though IMO, Delfino would help too. There's a reason we won 47 games when TJ Ford was the main PG on the team.

When the Raptors won 47 games with TJ Ford as the point guard he was a much better playmaker than Jack is. In his first season with the Raptors Ford was distributing the ball very nicely on offense and averaged 8 assists per game to go along with his 14 points. Yeah he got trigger happy on occasion but he also was a very good playmaker for the Raptors during his first season with the team. After he suffered his injury and Calderon took over, his entire game changed and it seemed like he was trying to shoot his way back in the the rotation.

Also, the main reason why the Raptors won 47 games with TJ Ford as the starting point guard was because the Eastern Conference was pathetically weak that season. The Raptors were an average team playing in a horribly bad conference and their win total were inflated. At least, that is my opinion but I never thought the Raptors were as good as their 47 wins may have led people to believe.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I was alluding to his reputation as a slasher. When your PG is a slasher he is creating more wide open looks for his wing players compared to a guy like Calderon who's offensive arsenal is basically limited to pull up jumpers or running the pick and roll, two things he does do very well though.

I'm not disputing the fact that Jose is the better player, but it all really depends how we are going to play this year for whether or not Jack would be effective. I mean in 06 the Raptors were amazing in terms of ball movement, I didn't see that last year at all really. If we can get back to our consistent habit of swinging of the ball around the 3 point line and always making the extra pass, then yeah Jose is the guy because he is an amazing 3 point shooter. But if we are going to be stagnant on offense again, it's easier to create when your PG has the ability to get where he wants when he wants.

Not to mention the fact Jose is a terrible defender, although he tries he is simply horrid. Hedo is a bad defender and Delfino, probably our starting SG is not a great defender either. That means if Jose is playing big minutes again then basically all 3 of our wings will be getting blown by and our big men are pretty bad on D too. Having Jack on the floor couldn't hurt at all.

What I am hoping is that this lights a fire under Jose's [expletive]. I miss when Jose was getting pumped up off little plays, I miss when Bosh was finishing plays that Jose was starting. Hopefully with some actual pressure behind him, Jose will play aggressive and remind people he is NOT a backup PG in the NBA.

Also I am hoping Bosh improves his passing our of the high and low post this year. We can be a really good team if Bosh isn't such a black hole, if Bosh could become an above average or even average passer for a big man, we'd have 5 guys starting who are capable of making smart and competent passes consistently.

Fair points on everything that you said. I just want to say one thing in regards to what you said about the defense.

The way I see it, a good defense starts from the inside and works its way out. Having two average at best defensive big men makes teams feel confident when they drive the ball into the paint because they know that they don't have a great defender back there to worry about. I mean just look at all of the players that have been labelled as great perimeter defenders and you will see that a lot of them had a great big man to back them up. Artest in Indiana had Jermaine O'Neal, Bruce Bowen had Tim Duncan, Tayshaun Prince had the two Wallaces and Kobe had Shaq (not a great defender but a huge presence inside). I could list some more players but I think you get the point that I am making. The way I see it, a good defensive big man makes the teams perimeter defense look better.

I mean just look at last season when the Raptors added Shawn Marion who was a good perimeter defender. He certainly didn't look very good on the defensive end of the floor last season with the Raptors and a large part of that is because teams weren't thinking twice about driving the ball into the paint and attacking Bosh and Bargnani. The majority of NBA players are too skilled and too quick to be stopped by one single perimeter defender. Last season the Raptors had a poor perimeter defense and they traded for a guy that is a very good perimeter defender in Shawn Marion, yet they were still a poor defensive team out on the perimeter. Having Jack gives the Raptors an above average perimeter defender, but make no mistake about it, he will not be shutting anybody down by himself and players will not hesitate to attack him and the Raptors will still be a poor defensive team with Jack out there. They will be better on the defensive end of the floor with Jack on the floor rather than Calderon, but they will still be poor on the defensive end.

Jack will be a solid addition, but in no way, shape or form do I think that he should start over Jose. I never meant to imply that you thought that I thought you thought he should start. How's that for a tongue twister? :D

PS: I think that Jose's defense was so bad last season because of his lingering hamstring injury. I am not making excuses for Calderon because I know that he is not a good defender, but he certainly wasn't as bad on the defensive end of the floor pervious years as he was last season and I think his hammy might have had something to do with that.

Good pick up, it would be nice to get a another forward but we are getting greedy now. BC has done alot from the end of the last season. Jack will be a solid back up and we can still feel find if that hamstring borthers Calderon now. When he went down last year, I had no faith in Will or Ukic, and they did not make me feel any better.

This move always help keeps Bosh happen, as both did play for GT (I don't remember if it was at the same time tho).

Good pick up, it would be nice to get a another forward but we are getting greedy now. BC has done alot from the end of the last season. Jack will be a solid back up and we can still feel find if that hamstring borthers Calderon now. When he went down last year, I had no faith in Will or Ukic, and they did not make me feel any better.

This move always help keeps Bosh happen, as both did play for GT (I don't remember if it was at the same time tho).

They did play together at GT and Jack was Bosh's best friend at GT. I have read a couple of things that have said that they were roomates during their time together at GT, but I don't know if that is true or not.