Heat Draft Discussion

Flight

MIAMI HEAT

The Miami Heat are prepared to draft Solomon Alabi at No. 19 and hinted that to him when he worked out for them. But there are members of the front office who are pushing towards taking Avery Bradley or Eric Bledsoe if they are available because the Heat lack a quality point guard.

Link

When I found out where we were drafting I thought Alabi would be the guy because its the chance for Zo to groom a young center who's got a world of potential. I think the only other option would be Bledsoe.

I like the pick on Dexter Pittman. The Heat need more depth at C, and I heard this guy lost like 100 pounds in college. That gives me some good vibes with this guy, considering that Udonis Haslem lost a ton of weight before coming to Miami, and look at the success he had. I hope for the same with Dexter.

If that knee heals up nicely, the Heat could get a steal with Da'Sean Butler. He could become a decent wing off the bench.

Other than those two guys, the other picks were used on Jarvis Vernado and Latavious Williams. I don't know a whole lot about them, and it seems to me like they won't be much more than bench warmers for a couple years. Hopefully they'll develop.

Absolutely love what we did.

Not sure I would've passed up Whiteside at 32 though. Too much potential there and he'll only get better learning from Alonzo. Pittman isn't a bad pick though and I expect our conditioning program to do wonders for him.

Absolutely love the other 3 picks. Varnardo reminds me a lot of Joel Anthony and Udonis and Latavious Williams has a lot of upside and was a superstar HS player a couple years ago.

However, the Butler pick was tremendous. He could give us some great depth when he gets healthy.

• Owner

Not bad at all. Miami was careful not to trip on their own feet, and they stuck with players that are able to come in and exceed expectations, rather than just meet them. You'll see this most with Butler and Pittman.

A good draft keeps a Dwyane Wade happy.

Pat Riley's thoughts on the Heat's draft picks:

For a team craving as much salary cap space as possible, here's the good news: Unlike first-round picks, second-round picks do not count against the salary cap until they are signed.

"We feel like we drafted three first-round picks in the second round," Riley said. "We had all three of those guys in the first round . . . I love Jarvis Varnado. We only wanted to draft two guys, but when DaSean was there, we said that was too good an opportunity."

Miami will field a team in an NBA summer league in Las Vegas and can decide which of the second-rounders to invite to camp and which to stash overseas.

Pittman averaged 10.4 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.9 blocks in 19.1 minutes per game as a senior and shot 65.4 percent from the field but just 55.6 percent from the line. He had his best game (23 points, 15 rebounds) in a win against North Carolina.

Pittman, 6-10 and 290 pounds, is agile for his size and a good finisher around the basket. He weighed nearly 400 pounds in high school but has lost about 100 pounds.

"He's got a massive wingspan, big hands, good feet, and he is going to continue to develop," Riley said. "There's an optimum condition he can get at. He's one of the legitimate centers in the draft."

Pittman said he's confident he will get in better shape. "I know I'm going to do it," he said, "because I love to work and I like to look in the mirror a lot, and I want to see that sexy body."

Butler, 6-7, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in a Final Four semifinal loss to Duke. He was first-team Big East as a senior, averaging 17.2 points and 6.2 rebound.

"My doctor said I should be playing in late September or early October," Butler said. Riley compared him with Caron Butler.

Source

Great job, Riles.

Edited by Poe

I see Mourning got himself two guys in Pittman and Varnado. I am really happy about Butler though, I LOVED watching him at WVU, and the injury sucked, but he is a great defender and he hits big shots. I hope he comes back healthy and makes the team.

• 3 weeks later...