Knicks Draft Discussion

Flight

Interesting Draft. This draft either means the Knicks know that Lebron is coming and they are getting some good spot up shooters for the elite player to pass to. Or they are trying to package Wilson Chandler and Eddy Curry somewhere and they brought in Laundry to replace wilson. Looking forward to July 1st.

Landry Fields Stanford Highlights:

The dunk around 3:45 got me hyped. He seems to have a very pro translated game, he reminds me a ton of Wilson Chandler. Maybe this is in anticipation of him leaving in a trade? We'll see.

EDIT: Jonah, just saw your thoughts on Fields replacing Chandler... I agree.

Edited by Cotton Camby

• Owner

How much have you seen of Fields, though? I don't think I'd be too excited. He's athletic, and that's about it.

I've set myself up for that one-trick pony so many times, most recently with James White.

The Knicks did get one person good for their system, though, and that's Rautins...but the only problem is, he really doesn't have an NBA skill other than shooting the long three (NBA range). I know most of you are familiar with someone out in Orlando that came out of Duke with the same glaring skill, and he had to adjust his game. I don't know if Rautins can really adjust. Keep in mind that there are a LOT of shooters that get cut from NBA teams, or never get a call back.

If Rautins wants to make the cut and become a productive role player, he's going to have to shoot the NBA three BETTER than just "good" once he suits up for the Knicks. I'm pretty sure he shot 40% in college, and he's easily one of the best shooters out of the 2010 class, but where he was picked tells you just how important it is to be more than just a one-trick pony.

By the way, I read that the Knicks are going to grab Jerome Jordan for cash considerations. Could be a good move. I think they should've went big with both of their 2nd round picks, to be honest.

How much have you seen of Fields, though? I don't think I'd be too excited. He's athletic, and that's about it.

I've set myself up for that one-trick pony so many times, most recently with James White.

The Knicks did get one person good for their system, though, and that's Rautins...but the only problem is, he really doesn't have an NBA skill other than shooting the long three (NBA range). I know most of you are familiar with someone out in Orlando that came out of Duke with the same glaring skill, and he had to adjust his game. I don't know if Rautins can really adjust. Keep in mind that there are a LOT of shooters that get cut from NBA teams, or never get a call back.

If Rautins wants to make the cut and become a productive role player, he's going to have to shoot the NBA three BETTER than just "good" once he suits up for the Knicks. I'm pretty sure he shot 40% in college, and he's easily one of the best shooters out of the 2010 class, but where he was picked tells you just how important it is to be more than just a one-trick pony.

By the way, I read that the Knicks are going to grab Jerome Jordan for cash considerations. Could be a good move. I think they should've went big with both of their 2nd round picks, to be honest.

Haven't seen almost anything of Fields, all I can go on is his scouting report and his videos. Which doesn't tell much. Hopefully he can bring his college game to the NBA, because his highlights are enigmatic.

If Rautins can shoot, perfect. Nobody on the Knicks last year was capable of hitting a spot up, and especially if we sign a Lebron type slasher, he'd be great. If he's asked to contribute and create his own shot, though, uh oh. One thing I love is his confidence. Work ethic seems to be great too.

I love the Jordan move, I think they were enamored with Whiteside, and were bummed that he was gone. Jordan at least gives them an athletic 5 who can run the floor. We'll see what he's got pretty soon.

I'm realistic I'm not planning to find a star with the 38th and 39th picks in the draft. That being said I'm not disappointed with our draft picks. Rautins is a solid role player and his basic skills fit what D'antoni would be look for in a guard for the most part. Landry I know nothing about but basically I see him as a poor mans Wilson Chandler, not great but I do believe he will be able to make the team and be somewhat useful. Either way I'm not excited about our draft picks but at the same time I'm not disappointed. All in all I just want to get to FA.

• 4 weeks later...

From David Thorpe's "Rookie Watch":

6. Landry Fields, Knicks

Summer-league stats: 15.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.6 spg

Like Harangody, Fields does not yet look the part of an NBA player, but his game is spot-on for the Knicks' style. He runs, shoots and finishes, and he has a great feel for the game overall. When considering talent plus fit, I think this may be the best overall draft selection of all 60 picks.