Bucks offer for Maggette

Dash

The Warriors are interested in unloading Corey Maggette and the Bucks could be a trading partner.

The speculation is the Bucks are offering Dan Gadzuric, who has one year left on his contract for $7.4M, Charlie Bell ($3.8M).

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67352/20100622/bucks_offering_deal_for_maggette/#ixzz0rasD4kOf

This would be a good move for both teams. The Warriors would get cap room in the future, and the Bucks would have another weapon. A big 4 of Jennings, Salmons, Maggette, and Bogut is outstanding.

Not to mention they unload two players that aren't even part of the rotation.

Guest STL10

Not to mention they unload two players that aren't even part of the rotation.

Bell started started 39 games last year, and played in 71. I wouldn't say he isn't part of their rotation, but Gadzuric wouldn't get minutes on the Nets he's that bad.

I'm torn on this trade.

One side of me says do it and let Salmons walk without offering him a new contract. Maggette would instantly add another scoring threat and would allow us to have three of our starting five be all-star caliber players. We'd also be sending out Bell and Gadzuric who didn't play huge roles for us last season. So we'd be sending away extra bodies for a player who would contribute to the team now.

However, Maggette has been known to be somewhat selfish as well as a liability in terms of injury. He's never made it a full 82 games in a season. Also, we'd be going against our team rule of the past few seasons of keeping our cap space for the 2011/2012 season. By adding Maggette we would essentially be paying him $10 million a year for the next three years, or through the 2012/2013 season.

If we're willing to sacrifice our cap space I'd rather see us attempt a trade for an efficient PF while also trying to resign John Salmons.

Guest STL10

I'm torn on this trade.

One side of me says do it and let Salmons walk without offering him a new contract. Maggette would instantly add another scoring threat and would allow us to have three of our starting five be all-star caliber players. We'd also be sending out Bell and Gadzuric who didn't play huge roles for us last season. So we'd be sending away extra bodies for a player who would contribute to the team now.

However, Maggette has been known to be somewhat selfish as well as a liability in terms of injury. He's never made it a full 82 games in a season. Also, we'd be going against our team rule of the past few seasons of keeping our cap space for the 2011/2012 season. By adding Maggette we would essentially be paying him $10 million a year for the next three years, or through the 2012/2013 season.

If we're willing to sacrifice our cap space I'd rather see us attempt a trade for an efficient PF while also trying to resign John Salmons.

I doubt Salmons would turn down his 6.7 million player option for next season. He would get the MLE for most good teams on the open market. I think this will be a short-term splurge for the Bucks, but it's shady long-term. Also I think the Bucks should try to sign a rebounding PF such as Drew Gooden for their MLE.

I doubt Salmons would turn down his 6.7 million player option for next season. He would get the MLE for most good teams on the open market. I think this will be a short-term splurge for the Bucks, but it's shady long-term. Also I think the Bucks should try to sign a rebounding PF such as Drew Gooden for their MLE.

He's already stating he's turning it down and testing the FA market. ;)

Guest STL10

He's already stating he's turning it down and testing the FA market. ;)

The Bucks can pay him the most money of any team until July 1st. I think and hope he re-signs. I say he'll re-sign with the Bucks for 3 years 24 million, and a player option for the 3rd year of 8.5 million. Contracts in the NBA are NEVER the same value annually.

The Bucks can pay him the most money of any team until July 1st. I think and hope he re-signs. I say he'll re-sign with the Bucks for 3 years 24 million, and a player option for the 3rd year of 8.5 million. Contracts in the NBA are NEVER the same value annually.

If we trade for Maggette (which there's obviously talks of) I doubt we even attempt to resign Salmons. Instead we'd probably draft a backup and potential future SG in the second round on Thursday's draft. I'd personally like Salmons over Maggette, but we have no need for both of them.

Hopefully our team drafts smart based on this rumor. Even though I love Xavier Henry I'd hate to see us draft him only to have him sit behind an aging Maggette for the next three years.

Guest STL10

If we trade for Maggette (which there's obviously talks of) I doubt we even attempt to resign Salmons. Instead we'd probably draft a backup and potential future SG in the second round on Thursday's draft. I'd personally like Salmons over Maggette, but we have no need for both of them.

Hopefully our team drafts smart based on this rumor. Even though I love Xavier Henry I'd hate to see us draft him only to have him sit behind an aging Maggette for the next three years.

I'm assuming you believe that if they draft Henry then they will end ties with Salmons? That makes a lot of sense, and as I stated before Henry reminds me of Michael Redd in his prime. Call it a stretch or whatever you want, but Henry has a great chance to be a solid player in this league.

I'm assuming you believe that if they draft Henry then they will end ties with Salmons? That makes a lot of sense, and as I stated before Henry reminds me of Michael Redd in his prime. Call it a stretch or whatever you want, but Henry has a great chance to be a solid player in this league.

Exactly. If we draft Henry I think we let Salmons walk and allow Henry to start from day one like we did with Jennings. I think the two would compliment each other extremely well and it would be a lot of fun to watch two of the youngest guard combos lead a team.

It's been said though that Henry will probably be gone by #15. If that's the case I'd like to see us draft a PF. Henry is really the only SG in the draft that I'd like to see us take in the first round.

Guest STL10

Exactly. If we draft Henry I think we let Salmons walk and allow Henry to start from day one like we did with Jennings. I think the two would compliment each other extremely well and it would be a lot of fun to watch two of the youngest guard combos lead a team.

It's been said though that Henry will probably be gone by #15. If that's the case I'd like to see us draft a PF. Henry is really the only SG in the draft that I'd like to see us take in the first round.

My mock projects Henry going #15. I have a question...What happened to Michael Redd? I know he tore his ACL again, but what about after that? When is he expected back? What role?

Just commented on the article Jenneral. Nice write up.

While Maggette would be a great scoring threat next to Jennings, I think that there is just too much risk to go through with it. Like you said Corey is on a fat contract and its questionable if he would fit in with Jennings and Bogut. If this went south for the Bucks then they would be set back for years. IMO just take teh safe route and resign Salmons and use those expiring contracts to lure in another starting quality player. There are always some available during the draft (speaking of which isn't there talk of the Bucks trading down? Might be a good chance to pick up something extra) or the trade deadline.

My mock projects Henry going #15. I have a question...What happened to Michael Redd? I know he tore his ACL again, but what about after that? When is he expected back? What role?

He blew out his knee two years in a row. He was basically told to stay away from the team (T-Mac) as we made our playoff push (wondering why Bogut was there supporting and Redd wasn't?). There's been no time frame set for him to come back if at all. There's been a lot of speculation that he'll never see the floor again, for any team.

If he were to come back, his role on the Bucks would be extremely limited. We'd be using him as trade bait with his inflated expiring contract if anything.

Guest STL10

He blew out his knee two years in a row. He was basically told to stay away from the team (T-Mac) as we made our playoff push (wondering why Bogut was there supporting and Redd wasn't?). There's been no time frame set for him to come back if at all. There's been a lot of speculation that he'll never see the floor again, for any team.

If he were to come back, his role on the Bucks would be extremely limited. We'd be using him as trade bait with his inflated expiring contract if anything.

Thanks you for clearing up the situation. He sounds like the 2010-11 season's T-Mac for sure. As a Bucks fan you should hope Carmelo doesn't re-sign so Redd's contract will have more value. If Carmelo would postpone his re-signing to next July then the Bucks would net an extra draft pick or player in the deal. Michael Redd's value is held by the Nuggets and Carmelo Anthony at this point.

Edited by STL10

I'd love to be able to sign Carmelo in a year when Redd's contract is off the books. He'll be the top FA at the time and we'll be one of the teams with the most money. The only question is whether he'd actually want to come to Milwaukee?

Guest STL10

I'd love to be able to sign Carmelo in a year when Redd's contract is off the books. He'll be the top FA at the time and we'll be one of the teams with the most money. The only question is whether he'd actually want to come to Milwaukee?

I HIGHLY doubt that. He will either be in Denver, New York, or Washington in 2011. He is from Baltimore and went to Syracuse.

Trade would be good for both sides imo. The Warriors have been wanting to unload Magg's contract since the beginning of this season, and the Bucks need to add some scorers to that current roster. Start Salmons off the bench, he'd be a good sixth man. Bogut-Jennings-Maggette trio sounds pretty intimidating.

Trade would be good for both sides imo. The Warriors have been wanting to unload Magg's contract since the beginning of this season, and the Bucks need to add some scorers to that current roster. Start Salmons off the bench, he'd be a good sixth man. Bogut-Jennings-Maggette trio sounds pretty intimidating.

There's no way we'd do both Maggette and Salmons. We just don't have the money. :(