Favre says he'd love to beat Saints

GULFPORT, Miss. -- Brett Favre says he can still play at a "high level" if he returns to the Minnesota Vikings for a 20th NFL season.

Favre has not yet said if he plans to play, but he's not sounding like a retired quarterback. Favre told the Sun Herald on Thursday on the Mississippi newspaper's website he would "love to go beat the Saints" in the season opener Sept. 9. New Orleans beat Minnesota in the NFC Championship Game in January.

The Sun Herald also reports Favre is healing on schedule from surgery on his left ankle, and cycling is part of his rehab.

"I would love to go beat the Saints. I know I can still play at a high level," he said, according to the Sun Herald. "Last year was a great year, but it could have been better [winning the NFC championship]."

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, was asked by The Associated Press if the 40-year-old quarterback has made a decision on playing. His reply? "Nope." The Vikings declined comment.

-----

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5324899&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines