Pat Riley responds to Beasley trade rumors

Poe

Heat president Pat Riley said late Thursday night that the team will not trade Michael Beasley.

"That's not going to happen," Riley said. "We are not that desperate for room that we are going to trade the second pick of the draft. I must have gotten 25 calls, but that's not going to happen. We want to build around him and Mario [Chalmers]."

Riley said the three-star scenario is overstated, but did not rule it out.

"I want to build a team and it takes five guys to build a team."

Source

It's what I've said the whole time.

Edited by Poe

Actually, it takes 12 players to build a team. ;)

If you want to get technical, it takes 5 guys to build the core of a team. You know what he meant, anyway.

Here is the full quote, it's from a different link. Maybe this makes more sense now:

"I want to build a team and it takes five guys to build a team," he said, "and whatever kind of room we created, it's to build a team, and we have the ability to do that.

"There's going to be a core foundation and then there's going to be whatever that foundation will support. So I don't care what anybody else does."

Source

Edited by Poe

I got you. ^_^

I think Beasley could still develop into a perennial all-star if handled right. If you can land two big name free agents I think Beasley would be a great 3rd or 4th option. You just can't rely on him too much until he gets a feel for his own game.

I wonder what teams were interested in Beasley?

I'm sure there were plenty. You can't deny that the guy's got a crazy amount of talent. He just has to get his mind right and hopefully he can start that process this year.

If even Kwame Brown can tempt the Lakers to trade Caron Butler for him 4-5 seasons after his rookie year, I am sure Michael Beasley can attract some attention from other teams now.

Except Kwame Brown was a bust.

Except Kwame Brown was a bust.

lol lets hope Beasley don't fallow those footsteps.

I am sure he had alot of offers his potential is sky high and still is very young. I also think that they should be open to offers.

Edited by ChosenOne