Torre Uninterested In Making Up With Yankees

Sportsguy9695

Joe Torre insisted on Friday that he holds no hard feelings towards the Yankees.

"I don't think the wounds were ever that deep," he said. "Maybe a scrape or two, but that was it."

He sounded convincing, as he always does, and yet earlier Friday Mel Stottlemyre, Torre's close friend and former pitching coach, was saying quite the opposite over the phone.

"If the Yankees decided to honor Joe in some way anytime soon, I think Joe would refuse," Stottlemyre said. "That's just my opinion, but I've talked to him enough to know how he feels about some things.

"I just hope time heals the wounds, on both sides, really. I think maybe it will, at least for Joe. I don't know about the other side."

Source: RealGM.com

Torre's management of the team, particularly the bullpen, wasn't so pretty in his last couple of years with the team. That likely contributed to arms being burned before the postseason and our early exits. Still, I was disappointed to hear Steinbrenner's warnings to Torre in 2006 and 2007 when the Yankees were on the verge of falling in the playoffs. I wouldn't put that kind of pressure on a manager down 2-0 in the division series, especially with what the manager did for your team.

I could understand Torre's frustration with the situation, but some of his comments in The Yankees Years were going a little too far with firing back at the organization.