Julian To Start, Peja to Bench, Collison Pencilled in as CP3's Backup

They interviewed Byron Scott during the summer league game today against the Spurs. He said Julian Wright will be in the starting five next season, moving Peja to the bench as instant offense. He also said he was Collison slotted as CP3's backup PG already.

Also, stats from the game today from our two draft picks:

Collison: 19 pts 6 ast 5 reb

Thornton: 22 pts 6 reb 2 stl

I'm absolutely stoked that JuJu will get a ton of PT now. I suggested this early last season to ease the minutes and pressure on Peja's old self. Thank you, Byron. http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif

Yes this is awesome news. The next thing we need to do address our front court depth.

Edited by Ya Dig!

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Julian Wright as a player? For some reason, everyone seems to have a soft spot for Wright, but I just don't understand why, unless it's purely non-basketball related.

Watching his game today in the Summer League only confirmed that he still has a long way to go before he becomes anything more than a project to be used sparingly off the bench. He shot the ball fairly well, though when he missed, it was usually an ill-advised throw at the rim than it was a smart contested jumpshot. That alone leads to questions as to whether or not his IQ will ever be at the level where coaches wont have to pull him out of games for over-shooting or 'looking for his own'. Defensively, he was impressive only because of his length over the 6'6" James Gist. He's still, what, 21/22 years old. He's still a project.

I give this less than 10 games before Scott puts him back on the bench.

If Scott is looking for someone to contribute in the staring lineup, and use Peja off the bench, then I don't see anything wrong with Rasual Butler, or even James Posey, who seemed to find himself in Scott's doghouse a lot last season. Either would bring better results than Wright.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Julian Wright as a player? For some reason, everyone seems to have a soft spot for Wright, but I just don't understand why, unless it's purely non-basketball related.

Watching his game today in the Summer League only confirmed that he still has a long way to go before he becomes anything more than a project to be used sparingly off the bench. He shot the ball fairly well, though when he missed, it was usually an ill-advised throw at the rim than it was a smart contested jumpshot. That alone leads to questions as to whether or not his IQ will ever be at the level where coaches wont have to pull him out of games for over-shooting or 'looking for his own'. Defensively, he was impressive only because of his length over the 6'6" James Gist. He's still, what, 21/22 years old. He's still a project.

I give this less than 10 games before Scott puts him back on the bench.

If Scott is looking for someone to contribute in the staring lineup, and use Peja off the bench, then I don't see anything wrong with Rasual Butler, or even James Posey, who seemed to find himself in Scott's doghouse a lot last season. Either would bring better results than Wright.

1) 1 summer league game doesn't tell the whole story. So many young players that play in the summer league play completely different than they do during the season simply because the mindset is to 'impress coach' instead of 'play within myself and do what it takes to win'. A lot of one on one basketball and a lot of experimenting for these players to work on new things against decent competition.

2) Yeah, he's a project, but he's got a ridiculous ceiling, and I'm sick of him being buried at the end of the bench in mop-up duties only. He's not going to get better by sitting the bench. Like I said, his offensive game is very inconsistent and he's trying to figure it all out, but he can provide us a ton of energy, good defense, and someone that can actually run with CP3 from time to time. The rest will come with playing time.

3) Rasual Butler is already in the starting line-up as our shooting guard, unless something drastic happens and Marcus Thornton takes that spot. Posey needs to stay on the bench. He's good, but he's aging. Let him stay at what he does best. I don't recall him being in Scott's doghouse last season. He just dealt with several nagging injuries throughout the season and really struggled with his rhythm because of it.

1) 1 summer league game doesn't tell the whole story. So many young players that play in the summer league play completely different than they do during the season simply because the mindset is to 'impress coach' instead of 'play within myself and do what it takes to win'. A lot of one on one basketball and a lot of experimenting for these players to work on new things against decent competition.

And that's why so many of these guys don't make their teams; because they don't play their game. I've been a casual fan of the Hornets for a while, and I've seen Julian Wright play. I'm not sure what makes him a fan favourite on the court; I guess people just like seeing guys who might make it big time, but usually don't. I just don't see how, with his skill level and what he brings to the court, how it's going help the Hornets win games. He still struggles to stand out even with the average Summer League competition, meanwhile, a guy like Anthony Randolph, who plays for the Warriors is absolutely killing it, and even he isn't close to being a sure-fire contributor. Andray Blatche, another name that comes to mind, has for three years now, killed the Summer League competition. And every year, he struggles in the real season. So how does Julian Wright starting equal to success for the Hornets?

2) Yeah, he's a project, but he's got a ridiculous ceiling, and I'm sick of him being buried at the end of the bench in mop-up duties only. He's not going to get better by sitting the bench. Like I said, his offensive game is very inconsistent and he's trying to figure it all out, but he can provide us a ton of energy, good defense, and someone that can actually run with CP3 from time to time. The rest will come with playing time.

Hornets are at a stage right now, where they have to keep winning games, or eventually, one or two seasons down the track, they're going to have to blow the team up and start again. The statement you said, you're sick of seeing him on the bench for mop-up duties, well how can he help the Hornets in real gametime versus guys who are clearly superior to him in just about every way. His offensive game is inconsistent, but the Hornets are known for being a pretty consistent offensive team. How does he fit within the starting lineup? If he can't produce, why does more playing time mean he will? Wont it just mean more mistakes?

3) Rasual Butler is already in the starting line-up as our shooting guard, unless something drastic happens and Marcus Thornton takes that spot. Posey needs to stay on the bench. He's good, but he's aging. Let him stay at what he does best. I don't recall him being in Scott's doghouse last season. He just dealt with several nagging injuries throughout the season and really struggled with his rhythm because of it.

Small Forward and Shooting Guard are basically the same position. They're both wing players. I'd rather see, Rasual Butler + James Posey, which gives them a chance at defending both wing positions at least, than Julian Wright + other player, which gives them inconsistent play from one wing at pretty much all times.

And my bad on the doghouse thing, mistook Posey for Peterson. Heh.

And that's why so many of these guys don't make their teams; because they don't play their game. I've been a casual fan of the Hornets for a while, and I've seen Julian Wright play. I'm not sure what makes him a fan favourite on the court; I guess people just like seeing guys who might make it big time, but usually don't. I just don't see how, with his skill level and what he brings to the court, how it's going help the Hornets win games. He still struggles to stand out even with the average Summer League competition, meanwhile, a guy like Anthony Randolph, who plays for the Warriors is absolutely killing it, and even he isn't close to being a sure-fire contributor. Andray Blatche, another name that comes to mind, has for three years now, killed the Summer League competition. And every year, he struggles in the real season. So how does Julian Wright starting equal to success for the Hornets?

Hornets are at a stage right now, where they have to keep winning games, or eventually, one or two seasons down the track, they're going to have to blow the team up and start again. The statement you said, you're sick of seeing him on the bench for mop-up duties, well how can he help the Hornets in real gametime versus guys who are clearly superior to him in just about every way. His offensive game is inconsistent, but the Hornets are known for being a pretty consistent offensive team. How does he fit within the starting lineup? If he can't produce, why does more playing time mean he will? Wont it just mean more mistakes?

Small Forward and Shooting Guard are basically the same position. They're both wing players. I'd rather see, Rasual Butler + James Posey, which gives them a chance at defending both wing positions at least, than Julian Wright + other player, which gives them inconsistent play from one wing at pretty much all times.

And my bad on the doghouse thing, mistook Posey for Peterson. Heh.