Raps Looking Into Haywood, Blake, and Lee?

Doc

Haywood;

Spears also reports that Mavs coach Rick Carlisle is meeting with free-agent center Brendan Haywood(notes) in Charlotte, N.C., in the hopes of re-signing him. The Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavaliers, Toronto Raptors, New York Knicks and Detroit Pistons also are interested in Haywood's services, Spears notes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Mavericks-to-meet-with-Nowitzki-Haywood-on-Thur?urn=nba,252795

Blake

Free agent guard Steve Blake is drawing strong interest from the Magic, Knicks and Raptors, according to Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.

The Lakers and Bobcats are also in the mix to sign Blake, who could fetch a deal around $5 million annually in a weak market for point guards

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67735/20100702/magic_knicks_raptors_courting_blake/#ixzz0sXGmVS10

Lee

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, according to a source, is hotly pursuing Knicks free agent David Lee and would love to work out a sign-and-trade with the Knicks for Bosh.

However, Lee is meeting with the Bulls in Chicago today and has Toronto not very high on his list. Colangelo might fly out to meet Lee in Chicago today also.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/pitch_to_lebron_city_sizzle_mountain_4zzBXiqUFSWIjTGap0IrzL#ixzz0sXGvMsd6

Why..

I have absolutely no interest in David Lee or Steve Blake. They are both solid players but are completely pointless on this team.

The Raptors already have Jack, Calderon and Banks at PG so adding another fringe starting point guard for the MLE makes no sense. I like Blake as a player and think he would be a great fit on a contender like the Lakers or as a backup PG for a team like the Celtics, but on a non playoff team like Toronto it just makes no sense for them to go after him. He wouldn't be their point of the future and he doesn't get them into the playoffs or anything like that either.

As for Lee, it is really a love-hate relationship. Love the rebounding, hustle and energy that he gives. Love how much he has improved his game since coming into the league. Love the passion that he has for the game. Hate him next to Bargnani. Hate his lack of defense. Hate paying him a lucrative long term contract. If the Raptors had a banger at the center spot I would be all for signing him, but a front court of Bargnani and Lee is just a disastor waiting to happen.

Brendan Haywood actually makes sense for this team stylistically. He is a good fit next to Bargnani with his defense and rebounding. He would be a great veteran presence for the young Raptor bigs like Johnson, Davis, Alabi and even Bargnani. The Raptors are going to have a very young frontcourt next season and with the inevitable departure of Rasho Nesterovic, there is not going to be any real vet in that group, so Haywood makes sense there.

However, the amount of money that Haywood will probably land in free agency won't be in the Raptors price range. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get more than the MLE, which is all the Raptors can offer, unless they get a TPE for Bosh and use that on Haywood. I also doubt Haywood would give much consideration to Toronto considering the fact that they aren't going to be anywhere close to the playoffs next season and with him going through what he did over the past couple of seasons in Washington, I don't see him leaving a winning environment like the one in Dallas to go back to that losing environment like the one in Toronto will inevitably be.

I like all three of these players and would love to have any one of them on the Raptors in the right situation. The situation the Raptors are going to be in for the next couple of years is not the right one for any of these players though.