Raptors close to using MLE?

BasX

The Raptors are still waiting for Chris Bosh to make a decision, but they haven't completely stopped all other operations.

Toronto is "close" to reaching an agreement in principle with a free agent for some, if not all, of the team's mid-level salary cap exception.

No names have became immediately apparent, according to league sources.

The NBA's mid-level exception is worth more than $5 million, but teams can offer less to players.

Doug Smith of the Toronto Star lists Matt Barnes, Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown and J.J. Redick as potential targets.

RealGm.com

I'm not sure who I want them to acquire with the MLE but I want it to be someone good defensively. Maybe not for the full MLE but Ronnie Brewer isn't a bad pick-up.

Out of those 4 I only see Redick and Brewer as MLE, both are solid defensively so not a bad signing for Toronto is its either of them.

Well, the Raptors don't need another Belinelli in Redick. Brewer and Barnes would be good pick ups, though.

I think the Raptors should dig more towards getting a defensive center though (like I've said so many times lol).

Lol Redick and Bellinelli aren't even comparable.

Redick averages 15.7 points, 3.1 assists and 3.1 rebounds per 36 minutes.

Belinelli averages 15.1 points, 2.9 assists, and 3.1 rebounds per 36 minutes.

NOT comparable at all :lol:

One plays 22 minutes on a championship team, sound decision making, great spot up shooter and good passer.... the other plays 17 minutes on a non-playoff team, would rather fade away than go straight up for a shot, would rather throw a no look pass than a normal pass, one gets consistent minutes on a top team while the other plays spot minutes on a completely inferior team. One is probably getting a 5/25 deal this summer and the other might be heading to Europe once his contract expires this year.... but yeah, they are basically the same player since I expect you watch the Raptors every night.

Bellinelli is a talented basketball player, he just can't get it together on a consistent basis, Redick meanwhile is as rock solid of a backup swing man you could ask for, or even a starter if needed.

If all it takes for players to be comparable is per 36 minutes stats then I don't really know what to say to you. The way they play is almost polar opposite to one another.

Edited by travesy3
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what his contract obligations are over in Europe or what his intentions of coming back to the NBA are, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this player is Linas Kleiza. The Raptors were very interested in him last season but ended up using their MLE on Jack and Kleiza wouldn't accept the LLE (which they then used on Rasho I believe), so it wouldn't shock me at all if they tried to lure him back to the NBA with a partial MLE deal. I would hope that they wouldn't use the whole MLE on him as he is not worth it, but who am I kidding, it is Colangelo so obviously the entire MLE would be used.

Out of the players that Doug Smith mentioned, I wouldn't mind JJ Redick and Ronnie Brewer though. I would hate to see them use the full MLE on Shannon Brown and I'm not too fond of Matt Barnes.

Redick would be a nice backup for the Raptors and provide stability as the first shooting guard off of the bench, which they won't have with Belinelli. Redick may not have the talent that Belinelli does, but he is reliable and you know what you are going to get from him, unlike Belinelli who may give you 20 points on great efficiency one night, and the next night he puts up 0 points and 5 turnovers. His shooting would be welcome off of the bench considering the Raptors don't exactly have that great of shooters next season at the wings with DeRozan and Weems not being 3 point threats and Belinelli and Turkoglu being inconsistent/streaky. Also, he could definitely help out DeRozan and Weems with their shots as well as he is one of the best pure shooters in the game.

I don't know exactly who is out there, but I don't really see many centers that would come to Toronto that would be worth the MLE. If they can get a Brendan Haywood type of player for the MLE then I would love it, but I don't think that is realistic. I'd rather just see them give those minutes to Amir Johnson and Soloman Alabi (if he proves worthy of them, if not, send him to the D-League and sign somebody cheap and serviceable). I don't really want to get a big minute center because it would take away developmental minutes from guys like Johnson, Alabi and Ed Davis.

EDIT: Another name I have heard being thrown around is Ryan Gomes, but I sure as hell don't want him for the MLE.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

One plays 22 minutes on a championship team, sound decision making, great spot up shooter and good passer.... the other plays 17 minutes on a non-playoff team, would rather fade away than go straight up for a shot, would rather throw a no look pass than a normal pass, one gets consistent minutes on a top team while the other plays spot minutes on a completely inferior team. One is probably getting a 5/25 deal this summer and the other might be heading to Europe once his contract expires this year.... but yeah, they are basically the same player since I expect you watch the Raptors every night.

Bellinelli is a talented basketball player, he just can't get it together on a consistent basis, Redick meanwhile is as rock solid of a backup swing man you could ask for, or even a starter if needed.

True, but they are comparable, no? Redick is better, but they have the same skillset.

And I showed per 36 numbers because I don't feel like giving a full scouting report, lol. They're numbers and production are enough to show they are comparable. "They aren't even comparable" is a false statement.

Also, the Raptors aren't in need of shooters. With Calderon, Jack, Turkoglu, Bargnani, and Belinelli, shooting is already a solidified area for them.

They don't need playmakers either. With Calderon, Jack, Turkoglu, and Belinelli having good court vision and ball handling, that is also a solidified area for them.

What they need are tough, scrappy defenders. Redick is actually pretty decent, but decent isn't good enough. If they are to look for wing players, they need guys like Brewer and Barnes.