Scola To Re-Sign With Rockets; 5 Years, $47M

STEIN_LINE_HQ

RT @Jonathan_Feigen: Rockets reach a deal with Luis Scola, a source said. Deal for five years, worth $47 million. #hounews

That averages out to about $9.4M per season which is a reasonable contract for Scola considering how overpaid some players have been this offseason so far. I definitely think that he took a bit of a paycut to stay with the Rockets because I could easily see him getting around $10M a season with somebody else who has cap space to blow.

If Yao is able to stay healthy next season I think the Rockets could be a pretty formidable team. They have very nice depth with Battier, Lowry, Patterson, Buddinger and possible Hill depending on how much he improves off of the bench and a rock solid starting 5. I think that Ariza and Martin will benefit greatly from playing with Yao and having him healthy will only make them more efficient, especially Ariza. Losing Scola would've been a pretty huge blow to this team so it was crucial to lock him up, especially at a reasonable price.

I like it, he probably won't be worth his contract in the final year but it was necessary to bring him back for next season and considering how the market has been for big men, it was a reasonable deal.

Scola Pondered Returning To Spain

Rockets forward Luis Scola didn't anticipate all the waiting involved in free agency and admitted that he thought about weighing offers to return to Spain.

"I almost died," Scola said. "It was so stressful. If I didn't die of a heart attack this week, I think I'll never die. I never was a free agent before. I thought it would be less complicated.

"There were a couple days I didn't think it would work out. Waiting for an offer was really stressful. A couple times, I thought it wouldn't be the way I wanted. I would do what I had to do. I'm a professional. If I had to move, I would have moved. Sometimes that is not up to you. But it would be really hard to play for another team in the NBA not the Rockets."

Leading up to Thursday, when he reached a multiyear deal with Houston, Scola was so worried that he was warming to the idea of playing in Spain.

"I feel great. I feel great," Scola said. "I going to be the place I wanted to be. I'm so happy."

RealGM