Jason Collins expects to re-sign with Hawks

Cobb

LAS VEGAS -- Atlanta is expected to end up re-signing center Jason Collins.

Sources said Sunday at the NBA Summer League nothing is imminent due to the free agent currently being in Europe. But expectations are he eventually will re-sign after his return later this week, and it would figure to be a minimum deal worth $1.229 million.

Collins, 31, averaged just 0.7 points and 0.4 rebounds in 24 games in 2009-10, his first season with Atlanta. But the Hawks like his locker-room presence, and his 7-foot, 255-pound frame provides plenty of size, if needed.

Excluding second-round pick Pape Sy, the Hawks have just 10 players under contract, meaning they must sign three more players to reach the NBA roster minimum of 13, and they're without much money to do it. Ownership doesn't want to exceed the luxury tax threshold of $70.307 million, and the Hawks are about $4 million shy.

NBA Fanhouse

:lol: This is cute. The guy who is probably in the worst shape on the team is getting re-signed? Awesome. I hope this isn't the "help" Al Horford was talking about.

Honestly I don't think I've seen him play since he was on the Nets, but if he's still roughly the same player, he's a good defender and an extra 6 fouls when you go up against Dwight/Yao/Bynum/Gasol/etc... Absolutely horrendous offensive player, though, and that was with Kidd feeding him enough freebie's to shoot above 40% (Collins has shot 32% and 35% the last 2 seasons which is God awful).

Honestly I don't think I've seen him play since he was on the Nets, but if he's still roughly the same player, he's a good defender and an extra 6 fouls when you go up against Dwight/Yao/Bynum/Gasol/etc... Absolutely horrendous offensive player, though, and that was with Kidd feeding him enough freebie's to shoot above 40% (Collins has shot 32% and 35% the last 2 seasons which is God awful).

Exactly why I don't want him.

He could possibly be the worst player in the NBA and he is getting signed by a team who expects to win. Makes no damn sense to me. :angry:

Exactly why I don't want him.

He could possibly be the worst player in the NBA and he is getting signed by a team who expects to win. Makes no damn sense to me. :angry:

To be fair, he was a starter on a team that made the NBA Finals ;)

But yeah, I understand your frustrations...I had to put up with him for 7 years. At least he'll just be a cheerleader on your bench instead of a starter like on the Nets.

I havn't even heard his name since he left the Nets until reading this topic haha. He always was a good defender and that never hurts to have especially for cheap. He's not a bad extra body to have on the bench in desperate times.