Predict Eastern Standings

Poe

There was a topic about this before, but that was before most of the deals were done. I think now is a more appropriate time to make a prediction.

Be sure to add your own predictions!

Here's mine:

1) Miami Heat - My reasons here should be obvious. They have the top combo guard in Dwyane Wade and acquired possibly the top small forward in league history in LeBron James. Add that with arguably the best power forward today in Chris Bosh (at least among the top 3), and it's hard to argue against them.

2) Orlando Magic - Last year, despite the much improved depth which gave them arguably the best bench in the league, the Carter - Hedo swap failed to bring the same success as the previous year. Now they have downgraded a starter and an important back up from Matt Barnes and Jason Williams, to Quentin Richardson and Chris Duhon. With the East gaining strength, I do expect this team to continue going downhill.

Edit: +3 (previously 5th seed). I underestimated the fact that they possess the biggest game-changer in the league defensively in Dwight Howard. Add that to Stan Van Gundy's offensive system with shooters spreading the floor for a dominant big man, which has proven to be a successful regular season method throughout the years. I still believe the Magic are getting steadily worse, but not as rapidly as I made it out to be the first time.

3) Boston Celtics - They may be one year older, but it is still essentially the same squad that took the defending champs to seven games. They also have an upgraded depth at center in Jermaine O'Neal. With Rajon Rondo now solidified as the team leader, if they manage to stay healthy, expect them to come back as a top 3 team.

Edit: -1 (previously 2nd seed). The team will likely play the course of the season like a marathon, therefore giving the starters enough minutes to win games and get a decent seeding, but enough rest to keep them fresh come playoff time. Bearing any further injuries, I expect them to be back in the ECF.

4) Chicago Bulls - An up and coming superstar in Derrick Rose finally has a second option to work with in Carlos Boozer. If he could make the playoffs by himself and defensive-minded role players in Joakim Noah and Luol Deng, imagine what he and the team will accomplish now. Korver and Brewer should prove to be worthy acquisitions as well.

Edit: -1 (previously 3rd seed). The Bulls have considerably improved with the addition of comboing their star little man with a star big man, but they are not a top 3 team just yet. If T-Mac makes a great story-book comeback however, perhaps that will change things.

5) Milwaukee Bucks - Last year they had quite a successful year despite weak expectations. They were a 46 win, 5th seeded team that was one win away from the 4th seed, plus they took a third seeded, 53 win Hawks team to 7 games without their best player, Andrew Bogut. Through the offseason they upgraded two other positions by adding Corey Maggette and Drew Gooden, and now they will have a full season with John Salmons at the wing. Add that with the rookie of the year runner-up, plus one of the best benches in the league, and "fear the deer" starts to take on a little bit more meaning.

Edit: -1 (previously 4th seed). Their offseason acquisitions plus the improvement of their rookie star Brandon Jennings will give them a better record and a better seeding. However, as well rounded as they are, they are not talented enough to improve past the Bulls, Magic, Celtics, and of course, the Heat.

6) Atlanta Hawks - Many fans believe the team may have overachieved with their 53 win season record, especially after getting bulldozed by the Magic in the second round. After making no offseason moves other than giving the 30 year old Joe Johnson a max contract, even after his pathetic second round performance. Can they repeat the same success?

7) Charlotte Bobcats - They will now have a full season of Tyrus Thomas, and they have taken a high risk of adding the often injured Shaun Livingston to replace Raymond Felton. Will there be a high reward? Being coached under Larry Brown, the team is as solid defensively as it gets. Having Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace as it's number one and two options probably won't take them higher than the 6th or 7th seed. Not without a major amount of depth, which they are lacking as well.

8) New York Knicks - Amar'e and D'Antoni re-unite, with plenty of upgrades to work with. Top 5 three-point shooter Danilo Gallinari has a year of extra experience. Add that with a real point guard in Raymond Felton, a solid defensive center in Ronny Turiaf, and a solid bench overall in Douglas, Azubuike, and Randolph. This team could potentially make more noise than they've done in years. Perhaps the franchise is beginning to finally turn around, especially looking at the cap room to work with next year that can be used to strengthen their team even more.

9) Philadelphia 76ers - It's a big question mark. Can Even Turner...err... turn this team around? His summer league play has left much to be desired. There is a team there though, with a solid young core of Andre Iguodala, Lou Williams, Thad Young, Jrue Holiday, Marreese Speights, and Spencer Hawes. Taking Brand off the books would surely brighten their future.

10) Washington Wizards - Adding a player like John Wall could do wonders for the franchise. There are still some question marks revolving around Gilbert Arenas and how he'll compliment Wall on the court, as well as his enormous contract. There are a lot of young and inexperienced players on the team. The backcourt depth is strong, but the frontcourt is rather weak. They have a bright future with a young core including Blatche, McGee, and Young.

11) Cleveland Cavaliers - The structure of the entire team was meant to compliment one player and one player only. LeBron James. Now that he's gone, and no moves have been made.. there isn't much more to expect. The best option now may be to look for the Cavs' next shining star through the draft. Harrison Barnes perhaps?

Edit: +3 (previously 14th seed). The loss of their hometown star was devastating to everyone. The fans, the organization, and the team. Despite all of this, the affects probably won't be as bad as I first predicted. They have enough veterans to make a small playoff push, though they lack the talent to sustain it. The team chemistry could be a question as well.

12) Indiana Pacers - They are in major need of guards, yet they drafted forwards two seasons in a row. I don't see a lot of promise from a T.J. Ford/Brandon Rush backcourt, but you never know what a star like Danny Granger can pull off when healthy. As Roy Hibbert and Paul George develop, perhaps the team will look stronger down the road. Adding a point guard in next year's draft will help.

Edit: -1 (previously 11th seed).

13) New Jersey Nets - Adding Avery Johnson should guarantee some improve in this squad. But how much can a coach do with the defending worst team in the league? Derrick Favors needs to prove he's the real deal. Brook Lopez will need to fight his way back to form after being hit with mono, and Devin Harris will need a strong comeback year. There are too many questions to make any strong predictions about this team. They are also still in dire need of a star at the wing, and overall bench depth.

Edit: -1 (previously 12th seed).

14) Detroit Pistons - There is a small amount of depth, but an odd mix of old and young players with no stars. Greg Monroe could have a solid year, but they need to fill the rest of the team with players that compliment one another. Moving Hamilton and Prince for young potential may be a good move as they look for more assets through next year's draft.

Edit: -1 (previously 13th seed).

15) Toronto Raptors - Raptors fans rejoice. You might finally get the tank year you've always dreamed of. Hopefully their high draft pick won't be another Andrea Bargnani, unless he can turn that reputation around this year. DeRozan should have a solid year as well, who may potentially become a star in the future. The Amir and Klieza signings have their question marks. Overall, they are in desperate need of a defensive minded center, and overall balanced depth in all positions.

Edited by Poe

Swap the Cavaliers and Pistons and I think that list is perfect.

Come to think of it, you might be right. Actually, I may even put the Cavs above the Nets and even the Pacers. Veteran experience can go a long way. I'm just wondering whether they'll still have a true incentive to win with their best player gone.

I like this list, but have two problems- Orlando is too low, Boston is too high. Orlando really didn't regress much roster-wise, and we're talking about a team that won 59 games last season. I think it's premature to call the Bucks a better team when the Magic have been to the Finals and ECF the last 2 seasons, while the Bucks have had 0 playoff success and have new pieces that may or may not gel. As for the Celtics, they'll be a very tough out in the playoffs, but they aren't built for the regular season anymore. Wallace in all likelihood is gone, the Big 3 are all in their mid-30's (and had various injuries last season), Perkins will probably miss time from his ACL tear, Tony Allen is gone, etc... I don't see them having a better record than the Bulls or Magic next year.

Otherwise, good list.

Boston was a Finals team last year. I don't find it unreasonable to place them in the second seed, despite overall age.

As for the Bucks, Maggette gives everything the team lacks offensively. A slasher and someone who primarily scores in the interior. He should thrive with all the shooters on the team, like Jennings, Ilyasova, Delfino, Salmons, and even Redd if he finds playing time, though I expect him to spend most of his time on the bench while the team tries to shop his expiring contract.

The only "gelling" issue will be with the coach, who will surely demand defensive play. Maggette has never dealt with a coach with a strong personality like Skiles, so the demands won't likely fall on deaf ears.

Comparing them to the Magic, they outdo them match-up wise in three starting position (PG, SG, SF), AND the bench. Plus Andrew Bogut is a top 3 center.

Now onto the Magic team itself, they are going downhill as I've said over and over again. They don't have any youth other than Ryan Anderson, and most of their players are either in their prime or past.

Take a look at Rashard Lewis recent season averages, for example:

06-07 Sonics - 22 points, 7 rebounds

07-08 Magic - 18 points, 5 rebounds

08-09 Magic - 17 points, 6 rebounds

09-10 Magic - 14 points, 5 rebounds

He's 31 years old. He isn't getting any better.

Take a look at Vince Carter:

06-7 Nets - 25 points, 5 assists, 6 rebounds

07-08 Nets - 21 points, 5 assists, 6 rebounds

08-09 Nets - 20 points, 4 assists, 5 rebounds

09-10 Magic - 16 points, 3 assists, 3 rebounds

He's 33 years old.

Or how about Jameer Nelson:

06-07 Magic - 13 points, 5 assists

07-08 Magic - 11 points, 6 assists

08-09 Magic - 17 points, 5 assists (42 games played)

09-10 Magic - 13 points, 5 assists

He had one fluke season. Otherwise, he proves to be consistently average other than his three point shooting (career 39%). He's 28. He's already IN his prime. This is it.

So which player is going to rise as the others fall? JJ Redick? Mickael Pietrus? Their bench looks good, and they still got the DPOY. Otherwise, I don't see much reason to place them any higher.

And I understand similar arguments can be made for the Celtics, but like I just said above about the Magic's lack of youth, the Celtics possess that youth. Rondo and Perkins are there to rise, as Pierce/Allen/Garnett begin to fall. Rondo is turning into a top 3 point guard, and Perkins has become one of the best defensive centers in the league. Plus, the Magic downgraded this offseason (J-Will/Barnes for Duhon/Q-Rich) while the Celtics upgraded (Wallace for O'Neal).

I don't really see how shuffling backups makes the Magic go from 60 wins to potentially 50 or less at the 5 seed on your list. Celtics second is suspect, put the Bulls there for me. Milwaukee will be fighting for a playoff spot all year I think, they won't be a home court team. Atlanta won't be below Milwaukee. Basically I think you can expect the standings to look very similar with the Heat replacing the Cavs, and the Knicks taking that final playoff spot with Cleveland in the gutter, but here is my seedings for now at least, it is hard to say with CP3 still on the block apparently.

1. Miami for obvious reasons

2. Orlando Magic for obvious reasons, same core they will win 55+ games again

3. Chicago Bulls have a talented roster and should win 50-52 games

4. Boston Celtics, this could easily be swapped for Chicago because I think they will fight for the 3rd best record, all depends on health.

5. Atlanta Hawks for obvious reasons

6. Charlotte Bobcats, I don't know why exactly but I am expecting 45 wins out of this team next year

7. Milwaukee Bucks will win 42-45 games next year, everyone will realize Maggette puts up hollow stats.

8. New York Knicks, was hesitant here but adding Amare should add 10+ wins to their team for the final playoff spot, 37-40 wins should do it.

9. Washington Wizards, if Arenas gets them 22 and 6 a night they will win 35 games or so and fight for that final last [expletive]ty spot

10. New Jersey Nets, I know they didn't make a big splash but they hit the tank hard last year, Brook is a year older and they added some role players

11. Philadelphia 76ers not seeing it with this team, not a threat for the playoffs yet unless turner is a major stud

12. Detroit Pistons, enough competent NBA players to win as many games as last year

13. Cleveland Cavaliers, they will find a way to push for 30 wins

14. Toronto Raptors, last would be nice, but last never wins the lotto

15. Indiana Pacers, this is the year they tank!

• Like 1

1. Miami Heat - This is easy. 2 of the 3 best players in the league on one team? Add in another all-star and a few good complements and that's good enough help to be the beast of the east.

2. Chicago Bulls - Imagine if a team like the Jazz were in the East when Deron and Boozer were on that team. That's what it'll be like here. Rose and Boozer, along with Brewer, Noah, Korver, Thomas, and Deng each provide certain tangibles and intangibles. So many promised veterans/rising talent along with the two all-stars in Rose and Boozer allow for a team that can certainly challenge the Magic and Celtics in the regular season.

3. Orlando Magic - If Dwight can improve his free throw shooting and offensive game, they could move up to second. Also if JJ Redick gets more playing time and can capitalize on his promising performance from the 2010 ECF, the Magic should be able to maintain their dominance as a plus 50 win team. If Carter can get off to a better start unlike last season, the Magic should be able to get momentum to start the season.

4. Boston Celtics - They won't have as bad of a second half as last year provided the injuries don't come about, but this team is primed for the playoffs. As long as they win their division to get home court in the first round, which will give them their momentum, they should be fine. With Perkins out for the first few months, JO has to be productive. Rondo should be even better and possibly be first team all NBA point guard.

5. Atlanta Hawks - It's amazing how long the Hawks have stuck with this core without making any huge changes. The team still hasn't shown much improvement in the playoffs since the almost-first round upset against Boston in 2008. Bibby or Teague must provide some jump to the offense and make plays. They need a big man, as that Orlando series exposed a huge weakness.

6. Milwaukee Bucks - For a small market team, they probably had one of the best offseasons. Losing Kurt Thomas hurts, but adding Maggette, CDR, and Drew Gooden, along with a fully healthy Andrew Bogut to start the season, they look very promising. While I project them to be the 6 seed again, they will have a much better season and could get 50 wins if everything clicks. Stackhouse is an X-factor.

7. Charlotte Bobcats - Losing Felton allows Augustine to run the show at point. If he can become a play maker and hit clutch threes, that should help Captain Jack and Wallace while they run the show. Now they get a full offseason for Steven Jackson and Tyrus Thomas. Losing Chandler and Ratliff hurts. Gaining Dampier won't do too much. Charlotte could compete with Milwaukee and maybe even Atlanta for the 5 seed. After Charlotte, things will be very interesting in terms of who makes the playoffs.

8. Cleveland Cavaliers - Things have changed. I'm a Cavs fan so there's no way I'm going to project standings without placing them in the playoffs. Who's going to challenge them for the 8 seed? New York? Amare hasn't single-handedly lead a team to a playoff berth, so there's no reason to expect he can lead this team. The Wizards and 76ers will improve, but the other teams are just rehashed versions of last seasons. Now, why the Cavs are better: Acquiring Ryan Hollins fills in the hole at center. That means Anderson Verajao, who was 2nd team all defense last year, is coming off the bench. JJ Hickson showed promising signs in the summer league. Albeit the summer league, Hickson did also show during the regular season what he can do. Mo and Jamison will bring the offense with double digit scoring night in and night out. Only thing this team needs is a leader to emerge. A lot of people forget about Byron Scott too. This is a huge chance to gain back hope and belief from the city of Cleveland following a devastating postseason/offseason. This is their chance to capitalize on it and do something special. And it can only be special if this happens.

9. New York Knicks - They'll contend with the Cavs for the 8 seed, but I just don't see them being that great. Amare obviously is a huge addition. Adding Felton gives them a starting point guard finally. But who's center? For their acquisitions, Randolph has shown signs of success and so has Azuibuike, but both haven't been consistent and have had injury problems. Gaining Tony Parker or Chris Paul would obviously change the scenario.

10. Philadelphia 76ers - They should get 30-35 wins. Brand is an issue. Hopefully Holliday can improve and Turner can become a good starter alongside Iggy. This team is the one team that I don't know what to expect. They could be a 40 plus win team depending on how good Turner is.

11. Washington Wizards - Adding Hinrich and Wall gives them a top guard duo in the league if Wall can pan out successfully. Gilbert is the question, but the team obviously has grown this offseason. Blatche will have expectations this offseason as well.

12. New Jersey Nets - All season they talk about getting LeBron, Wade, Bosh, or some mega star. What do they end up with? Travis Outlaw. But that can't be all right? Well they also got Anthony Morrow. Obviously they had the number 3 pick in the draft and drafted Favors. But do those three additions take them from worst team in the league to possible 7/8 seed? I don't think so.

13. Indiana Pacers - This whole team's success depends on Danny Granger. If Hibbert can improve off last season's impressive showing, the Pacers might have a nice future tandem of stars with Granger and Hibbert. Hopefully Paul Davis isn't a bust.

14. Toronto Raptors - They could be better than New Jersey, Indy, and Washington. A lot of athleticism has been added. If DeRozan starts all year and can be more consistent unlike last year, that would help. This is Sonny Weems chance to prove he can be a solid player in the league long-term. Barbosa and Davis were great additions, and losing Hedo was even better.

15. Detroit Pistons - Monroe finally adds some length, but they still need to lose Prince or Hamilton and blow it up already. Bynum is great off the bench but the team lacks a player who can really spark the team.

--------------------

Playoff Predictions:

Heat over Cavs in 5

Bulls over Bobcats in 6

Magic over Bucks in 6

Celtics over Hawks in 6

---

Heat over Celtics in 7

Bulls over Magic in 7

---

Heat over Bulls in 6

--

Lakers over Heat in 6

Edited by The New Beginning
  • Like 3

(@travesy)

The East is gaining strength, I do feel both the Bulls and Bucks are better than the Magic and Hawks. Though it is just my opinion until it's all put into play.

And no, I wasn't completely aware that Perkins was out for that long. Is it guaranteed for at least half the season, or is that just speculation? If he's out for that long, I suppose it's possible they will drop a seed a two from where I placed them.

Edited by Poe

i agree with TNB however i would put pacers in that 8th seed and slide every one else down

might even put hawks ahead of Celtics i think they will only be aiming for playoffs. all the starters besides rondo will play less minutes so they are 'fresher' come playoff time

I think the Knicks are better than the Bobcats and will nail down that 7 seed. I appreciate your work here, Poe. Thanks for the read.

TNB -- It's not Amar'e and scrubs, he won't have to do it single handedly :) I like Gallo up around 18 points and for Randolph to take a big step forward, pair that with Chandler's abilities, Felton at the point, guys like Bill Walker and Landry Fields, and I'm really excited to see this Mozgov beast-child suit up.

As for the Bucks, Maggette gives everything the team lacks offensively. A slasher and someone who primarily scores in the interior. He should thrive with all the shooters on the team, like Jennings, Ilyasova, Delfino, Salmons, and even Redd if he finds playing time, though I expect him to spend most of his time on the bench while the team tries to shop his expiring contract.

The only "gelling" issue will be with the coach, who will surely demand defensive play. Maggette has never dealt with a coach with a strong personality like Skiles, so the demands won't likely fall on deaf ears.

On paper, sure, they look good. I never argued that, but I am very skeptical of the way they ended last season. The Mavs won something like 13 straight after they got Caron Butler and looked primed to be the Lakers' biggest challenge with a STACKED lineup. What happened? They lost to a Spurs team that got swept by the Suns. I am not saying the Bucks will have that same kind of follow-up this season, but to call them a better team than a Magic team that swept their first 2 series' last season, won 59 games and won the ECF the previous season? Not ready to say that as they still have a LOT to prove. Like can Bogut stay healthy? He played only 69 games last season, and only 33 the previous. Can Jennings shoot above 40%? If not the Bucks will be in trouble because there are going to be less shots to go around next season with everyone healthy and Maggette on the roster as well. Even if the pieces fit on paper, I see them struggling out of the gate which will hurt their standings. And quite frankly, I just don't think they will be a better team than the Heat, Celtics, Bulls or Magic.

Now onto the Magic team itself, they are going downhill as I've said over and over again. They don't have any youth other than Ryan Anderson, and most of their players are either in their prime or past.

*Stats of players*

So which player is going to rise as the others fall? JJ Redick? Mickael Pietrus? Their bench looks good, and they still got the DPOY. Otherwise, I don't see much reason to place them any higher.

The beauty of the Magic is they take on responsibility by committe. They aren't solely reliant on any specific players. It's why last season they were 4th in offensive rating, and 3rd in defensive rating. Nelson's production won't go down at all. Lewis' should stay constant. Carter should actually play BETTER than most of last season, where he was a sub-40% scorer to kick off the year. And if his production tails off a bit, Reddick continues to improve and can be counted on to take some of VC's minutes. Anderson improved a bit last year. Gortat and Bass are great backups to Lewis if his production plummets. And above all else, if they have trouble scoring, Howard only took 10 FGA last season...that can always go up.

And the moves they made in the offseason were lateral more than anything. Barnes isn't really any better than Q-Rich, and Richardson may actually be a better fit with his 3pt shooting. Duhon is a solid backup PG, not really a downgrade from Williams. I just don't get why you think some of the Magic's big guns will take such a plummet that the other players can't pick up the slack. They operate very much as a team and have the depth to pick up individual slack.

And I understand similar arguments can be made for the Celtics, but like I just said above about the Magic's lack of youth, the Celtics possess that youth. Rondo and Perkins are there to rise, as Pierce/Allen/Garnett begin to fall. Rondo is turning into a top 3 point guard, and Perkins has become one of the best defensive centers in the league. Plus, the Magic downgraded this offseason (J-Will/Barnes for Duhon/Q-Rich) while the Celtics upgraded (Wallace for O'Neal).

3 things-

1) As I said in my previous post, Perkins is going to be out for awhile. And when he does come back, he's likely not going to be 100% and will have to shake off rust.

2) On top of the Perkins loss, they also lost Wallace, Tony Allen and IMO their biggest loss was Tom Thibodeau. Thibodeau was the mastermind of their all-time defense, designing their schemes and defensive gameplans. Rivers is not the best at gameplanning, and I think the loss of Thibs' will definitely make an impact. But on the hardwood, the loss of those 3 players with only the addition of an old JO (who is not a great rebounder anymore) will only cause negative effects on the team.

3) Garnett and Pierce had their injury problems last year, and all of the Big 3 have been showing consistent signs of decline. Offensively that is going to really hurt this team. Yes, Rondo is a great player, but he is not the kind of scorer that will be able to take over games consistently. You could see that during the 2nd half of last season. He would show up with a big scoring effort one night and lead his team to victory, and the next night either be too passive or be forced into jumpers that he couldn't connect on.

The Celtics are a team made for the playoffs. But in the regular season, with their age, injuries and off-season losses, I don't think they'll have the 2nd best record to the Heat.

• Like 1

1) Heat - LeBron.Wade.Bosh

2) Magic - Dwight + shooters = easy wins.

3) Bulls - The addition of Boozer, Korver and Brewer really helps. Now if they get T-Mac...

4) Celtics - Technically the 3rd best team in the East, but losing Perkins for a while will hurt and I believe the Bulls will get a better overall record as a result

5) Bucks - They were good last year with less talent. They are better this year.

6) Hawks - Pretty much the same core but I can see Teague struggling at PG in his minutes.

7) Knicks - Getting Amare and Felton should make them better.

8) Bobcats - I don't like their moves this offseason but they should be able to hold on to the 8th seed because of the veterans they have.

9) Wizards - The power of John Wall.

10) Nets - I like the moves they have done this offseason and they should get better, although that depends on whether Devin Harris breaks out of his slump.

11) 76ers - I personally think Elton Brand is done, so they are in trouble inside the post. Jrue Holiday for MIP consideration though.

12) Cavs - Who will be the leader of this team? Hickson should average a double-double though and Jamison/Mo should be good enough for 30 wins.

13) Pacers - I see their rookies struggling and the PG problem need to be solved.

14) Pistons - Monroe is solid, but they need to trade Rip and Prince away to start all over again. Stuckey is also not starting PG material IMO.

15) Raptors - I will only be watching this team to see dunks from DeMar and Sonny Weems.

1. Miami Heat

2. Orlando Magic

3. Chicago Bulls

4. Atlanta Hawks

5. Boston Celtics

6. Milwaukee Bucks

7. New York Knicks

8. Washington Wizards

9. Charlotte Bobcats

10. Philadelphia 76ers

11. Cleveland Cavaliers

12. Indiana Pacers

13. New Jersey Nets

14. Detroit Pistons

15. Toronto Raptors

1. Miami Heat

2. Orlando Magic

3. Chicago Bulls

4. Atlanta Hawks

5. Boston Celtics

6. Milwaukee Bucks

7. New York Knicks

8. Washington Wizards

9. Charlotte Bobcats

10. Philadelphia 76ers

11. Cleveland Cavaliers

12. Indiana Pacers

13. New Jersey Nets

14. Detroit Pistons

15. Toronto Raptors

This. Dead on.

• Like 1

I made a few changes. The edits are underlined and in bold, and color. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

I made the same mistake last year of underestimating the Magic. I focused too much on what they are lacking compared to the previous year, but forget the very foundation of what makes them such a good team. They will remain a 2nd seeded team, even though their record will not be quite as good.

Nitro brings up some very good points about the Celtics. Like I said to travesy, I did not realize exactly how bad Perkins' injury was. I didn't know they lost Thibodeau either. These things will impact their regular season record, and perhaps the playoffs as well.

However, without further injuries, I do believe they have enough overall talent to be a top 3 team.

8. Cleveland Cavaliers - Things have changed. I'm a Cavs fan so there's no way I'm going to project standings without placing them in the playoffs. Who's going to challenge them for the 8 seed? New York? Amare hasn't single-handedly lead a team to a playoff berth, so there's no reason to expect he can lead this team. The Wizards and 76ers will improve, but the other teams are just rehashed versions of last seasons. Now, why the Cavs are better: Acquiring Ryan Hollins fills in the hole at center. That means Anderson Verajao, who was 2nd team all defense last year, is coming off the bench. JJ Hickson showed promising signs in the summer league. Albeit the summer league, Hickson did also show during the regular season what he can do. Mo and Jamison will bring the offense with double digit scoring night in and night out. Only thing this team needs is a leader to emerge. A lot of people forget about Byron Scott too. This is a huge chance to gain back hope and belief from the city of Cleveland following a devastating postseason/offseason. This is their chance to capitalize on it and do something special. And it can only be special if this happens.

9. New York Knicks - They'll contend with the Cavs for the 8 seed, but I just don't see them being that great. Amare obviously is a huge addition. Adding Felton gives them a starting point guard finally. But who's center? For their acquisitions, Randolph has shown signs of success and so has Azuibuike, but both haven't been consistent and have had injury problems. Gaining Tony Parker or Chris Paul would obviously change the scenario.

Had to edit because url of picture changed to some chick floppin her tits lol

j/k but seriously

PG - Mo Vs Felton - Tie. Mo is nice as a 3 pt shooter in LeIso, but outside of having a top 3 player in the league creating shots for him he has an average PG. Felton is a nice pass first PG who is adding a 3 pt shot to his game.

SG - Parker Vs Chandler - Chandler. At this point in his career Parker is an above average defender with little to no offense. Chander is an average defender with above average scoring ability.

SF - Gallinari Vs Moon - Gallinari. Becoming one of the best 3 pt shooters in the league comparing him to moon is a joke.

PF - Stoudamire Vs Jamison - Stoudamire. Jamison will be 34 entering this year and I think we all saw him falling of his game last year, comparing him to Amar'e is laughable to me at this point.

C - Randloph Vs Hollins - Ranolph. Who is Hollins? :lol:

Bench - Sessions - Gibson - Hickson - Powe - Varejao Vs Douglas - Azibuike - Walker - Turiaf - Cavs. No real stand outs, both have serviceable players, Cavs are a little deeper, but FA still isn't over.

So, as a Knicks fan, I think the Knicks out class the Cavs in just about every position, and the positions we don't we are just as good as you. The Cavs are a little deeper but the Knicks starting 5 is far better.

Please respond, want to see how the Cavs are better.

Edited by fish7718

I think the Knicks outmatch the Cavs in every position except center. Did you forget they have Hickson and Varejao? It's doubtful Hollins will get much playing time this year. Perhaps I'm wrong.

As for the Knicks, I don't believe they wish to start Randolph at center. Ronny is a better option IMO. He averaged 2.1 blocks per game in 20 minutes off the bench last year for the Warriors, plus shot 50% from the field.

Randolph may be a better rebounder, but he doesn't provide the same interior presence, and he only shoots 44% from the field. He is also young and very inconsistent, and doesn't even match up well against centers with his 210 pound frame (verses Ronny who is 250 pounds). It's much safer to bring him off the bench, especially if the Knicks hope to make a playoff run.

Edit: But to add to your argument, cause I do believe you are right about the Knicks being better than the Cavs...

PER Matchups:

PG: Raymond Felton (15.3) vs Mo Williams (16.2)

SG: Wilson Chandler (13.8) vs Anthony Parker (10.0)

SF: Danilo Gallinari (14.9) vs Jamario Moon (12.7)

PF: Amar'e Stoudmire (22.7) vs Antawn Jamison (17.3)

C: Ronny Turiaf (12.7) vs J.J. Hickson (15.3)

Key bench players:

Toney Douglas (14.9) vs Ramon Sessions (11.5)

Kelenna Azubuike (14.7) vs Leon Powe (10.2)

Anthony Randolph (18.7) vs Anderson Varejao (15.9)

According to PER, the Knicks are the much better team.

Edited by Poe

I think the Knicks outmatch the Cavs in every position except center. Did you forget they have Hickson and Varejao? It's doubtful Hollins will get much playing time this year. Perhaps I'm wrong.

As for the Knicks, I don't believe they wish to start Randolph at center. Ronny is a better option IMO. He averaged 2.1 blocks per game in 20 minutes off the bench last year for the Warriors, plus shot 50% from the field.

Randolph may be a better rebounder, but he doesn't provide the same interior presence, and he only shoots 44% from the field. He is also young and very inconsistent, and doesn't even match up well against centers with his 210 pound frame (verses Ronny who is 250 pounds). It's much safer to bring him off the bench, especially if the Knicks hope to make a playoff run.

I think Randolph is = to Varejao or Hickson tbh, Hickson and Varejao are much better than Randolph defensively but Randolph could be very well be 20 and 10 this year. If Turiaf starts than Cavs are = or > to the Knicks at C but then again if don't start that really strengthens out bench.

BTW The only reason I had Hollins at center is because TNB said he was going to start.

BTW The only reason I had Hollins at center is because TNB said he was going to start.

I think he meant "filling the hole at C" on the bench.

BTW, I edited that post. Thought I'd show the matchups statistically instead of biased opinion. PER shows the Knicks are not only better, but much better than the Cavs. Of course, their PERs may be different next season under different roles.

• Owner

I think Randolph is = to Varejao or Hickson tbh, Hickson and Varejao are much better than Randolph defensively but Randolph could be very well be 20 and 10 this year. If Turiaf starts than Cavs are = or > to the Knicks at C but then again if don't start that really strengthens out bench.

Man, I don't know about Randolph being a 20/10 player. That's a reach, to me...but I wouldn't care if he proved me wrong.

He has to shoot better, though. That's one problem. Hitting 40% or less of your shots in a lot of games, as a big, won't cut it.

There was a topic about this before, but that was before most of the deals were done. I think now is a more appropriate time to make a prediction.

Be sure to add your own predictions!

Here's mine:

1) Miami Heat - My reasons here should be obvious. They have the top combo guard in Dwyane Wade and acquired possibly the top small forward in league history in LeBron James. Add that with arguably the best power forward today in Chris Bosh (at least among the top 3), and it's hard to argue against them.

2) Orlando Magic - Last year, despite the much improved depth which gave them arguably the best bench in the league, the Carter - Hedo swap failed to bring the same success as the previous year. Now they have downgraded a starter and an important back up from Matt Barnes and Jason Williams, to Quentin Richardson and Chris Duhon. With the East gaining strength, I do expect this team to continue going downhill.

Edit: +3 (previously 5th seed). I underestimated the fact that they possess the biggest game-changer in the league defensively in Dwight Howard. Add that to Stan Van Gundy's offensive system with shooters spreading the floor for a dominant big man, which has proven to be a successful regular season method throughout the years. I still believe the Magic are getting steadily worse, but not as rapidly as I made it out to be the first time.

3) Boston Celtics - They may be one year older, but it is still essentially the same squad that took the defending champs to seven games. They also have an upgraded depth at center in Jermaine O'Neal. With Rajon Rondo now solidified as the team leader, if they manage to stay healthy, expect them to come back as a top 3 team.

Edit: -1 (previously 2nd seed). The team will likely play the course of the season like a marathon, therefore giving the starters enough minutes to win games and get a decent seeding, but enough rest to keep them fresh come playoff time. Bearing any further injuries, I expect them to be back in the ECF.

4) Chicago Bulls - An up and coming superstar in Derrick Rose finally has a second option to work with in Carlos Boozer. If he could make the playoffs by himself and defensive-minded role players in Joakim Noah and Luol Deng, imagine what he and the team will accomplish now. Korver and Brewer should prove to be worthy acquisitions as well.

Edit: -1 (previously 3rd seed). The Bulls have considerably improved with the addition of comboing their star little man with a star big man, but they are not a top 3 team just yet. If T-Mac makes a great story-book comeback however, perhaps that will change things.

5) Milwaukee Bucks - Last year they had quite a successful year despite weak expectations. They were a 46 win, 5th seeded team that was one win away from the 4th seed, plus they took a third seeded, 53 win Hawks team to 7 games without their best player, Andrew Bogut. Through the offseason they upgraded two other positions by adding Corey Maggette and Drew Gooden, and now they will have a full season with John Salmons at the wing. Add that with the rookie of the year runner-up, plus one of the best benches in the league, and "fear the deer" starts to take on a little bit more meaning.

Edit: -1 (previously 4th seed). Their offseason acquisitions plus the improvement of their rookie star Brandon Jennings will give them a better record and a better seeding. However, as well rounded as they are, they are not talented enough to improve past the Bulls, Magic, Celtics, and of course, the Heat.

6) Atlanta Hawks - Many fans believe the team may have overachieved with their 53 win season record, especially after getting bulldozed by the Magic in the second round. After making no offseason moves other than giving the 30 year old Joe Johnson a max contract, even after his pathetic second round performance. Can they repeat the same success?

7) Charlotte Bobcats - They will now have a full season of Tyrus Thomas, and they have taken a high risk of adding the often injured Shaun Livingston to replace Raymond Felton. Will there be a high reward? Being coached under Larry Brown, the team is as solid defensively as it gets. Having Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace as it's number one and two options probably won't take them higher than the 6th or 7th seed. Not without a major amount of depth, which they are lacking as well.

8) New York Knicks - Amar'e and D'Antoni re-unite, with plenty of upgrades to work with. Top 5 three-point shooter Danilo Gallinari has a year of extra experience. Add that with a real point guard in Raymond Felton, a solid defensive center in Ronny Turiaf, and a solid bench overall in Douglas, Azubuike, and Randolph. This team could potentially make more noise than they've done in years. Perhaps the franchise is beginning to finally turn around, especially looking at the cap room to work with next year that can be used to strengthen their team even more.

9) Philadelphia 76ers - It's a big question mark. Can Even Turner...err... turn this team around? His summer league play has left much to be desired. There is a team there though, with a solid young core of Andre Iguodala, Lou Williams, Thad Young, Jrue Holiday, Marreese Speights, and Spencer Hawes. Taking Brand off the books would surely brighten their future.

10) Washington Wizards - Adding a player like John Wall could do wonders for the franchise. There are still some question marks revolving around Gilbert Arenas and how he'll compliment Wall on the court, as well as his enormous contract. There are a lot of young and inexperienced players on the team. The backcourt depth is strong, but the frontcourt is rather weak. They have a bright future with a young core including Blatche, McGee, and Young.

11) Cleveland Cavaliers - The structure of the entire team was meant to compliment one player and one player only. LeBron James. Now that he's gone, and no moves have been made.. there isn't much more to expect. The best option now may be to look for the Cavs' next shining star through the draft. Harrison Barnes perhaps?

Edit: +3 (previously 14th seed). The loss of their hometown star was devastating to everyone. The fans, the organization, and the team. Despite all of this, the affects probably won't be as bad as I first predicted. They have enough veterans to make a small playoff push, though they lack the talent to sustain it. The team chemistry could be a question as well.

12) Indiana Pacers - They are in major need of guards, yet they drafted forwards two seasons in a row. I don't see a lot of promise from a T.J. Ford/Brandon Rush backcourt, but you never know what a star like Danny Granger can pull off when healthy. As Roy Hibbert and Paul George develop, perhaps the team will look stronger down the road. Adding a point guard in next year's draft will help.

Edit: -1 (previously 11th seed).

13) New Jersey Nets - Adding Avery Johnson should guarantee some improve in this squad. But how much can a coach do with the defending worst team in the league? Derrick Favors needs to prove he's the real deal. Brook Lopez will need to fight his way back to form after being hit with mono, and Devin Harris will need a strong comeback year. There are too many questions to make any strong predictions about this team. They are also still in dire need of a star at the wing, and overall bench depth.

Edit: -1 (previously 12th seed).

14) Detroit Pistons - There is a small amount of depth, but an odd mix of old and young players with no stars. Greg Monroe could have a solid year, but they need to fill the rest of the team with players that compliment one another. Moving Hamilton and Prince for young potential may be a good move as they look for more assets through next year's draft.

Edit: -1 (previously 13th seed).

15) Toronto Raptors - Raptors fans rejoice. You might finally get the tank year you've always dreamed of. Hopefully their high draft pick won't be another Andrea Bargnani, unless he can turn that reputation around this year. DeRozan should have a solid year as well, who may potentially become a star in the future. The Amir and Klieza signings have their question marks. Overall, they are in desperate need of a defensive minded center, and overall balanced depth in all positions.

Move Wizards to 10th, Cavs to 11th and the Sixers to 12th imo.

Man, I don't know about Randolph being a 20/10 player. That's a reach, to me...but I wouldn't care if he proved me wrong.

He has to shoot better, though. That's one problem. Hitting 40% or less of your shots in a lot of games, as a big, won't cut it.

Well his per 36 averages last year has him at 18.5 and 10 and considering hes going to a similar offense I think it's possible. However, you are right, he does have to shoot better for a big man.