Ranking teams' off-season moves

Cobb

A year ago, in this space, in evaluating each of the 30 NBA teams' 2009 offseason moves, these words were written about the Miami Heat's decision to do nothing, biding its time for the Summer of 2010: "It's a big, big gamble. But if Riles can pull it off, he'll be the one laughing 12 months from now."

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ho. Ho. Ho. Hee. Hee. Hee.

Riles laughs; the rest of the league weeps. And seethes. And curses. Like he cares.

The Closer got it done, luring LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Mike Miller, all while keeping Dwyane Wade, and if you're looking for some statistical analysis that "proves" the Hornets had a better summer, keep walking. Miami won the summer, but it's only the summer. The Lakers and Celtics and Magic aren't afraid.

But this offseason had the scent of change, and not just on South Beach. The Eastern Conference, pushed around for most of the last decade, got almost all of the quality talent in the Draft, while All-Star forwards Carlos Boozer and Amar'e Stoudemire went from West to East. Doug Collins, Avery Johnson and Byron Scott joined up as coaches. It should make for much more competitive and entertaining basketball east of the Mississippi, with the exception of northeast Ohio.

The Top 10: (Heat, Bulls, Lakers, Jazz, Celtics, Spurs, Bucks, Mavs, Knicks, Hawks)

The Middle 10: (Suns, Wizards, Warriors, Nets, Thunder, Sixers, Rockets, Grizzlies, Kings, Wolves)

The Bottom 10: (Blazers, Clippers, Nuggets, Raptors, Magic, Bobcats, Pistons, Hornets, Pacers, Cavs)

So the T-Wolves were in the top 20 for the off-season? They had a terrible off-season, IMO. From the Jefferson trade to the draft it was all bad.

they got Michael Beasley and Martell Webster its not horrible but they got some pretty good players.

I realize now that I misunderstood the context of this. It isn't power rankings as of the middle of the offseason, it's ranking just teams' moves in the offseason.

Ahh, okay. Now I understand why good teams are in the bottom, and bad teams are at the top.

lolwut?

Heat, Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Bucks, Mavs are some of the top teams in the NBA... bad teams at top? Huh?

Knicks and Hawks? I think the Hawks can do it again and make the playoffs, but both of those teams are unproven. What I'm saying is I thought it was saying the top 10 teams in the NBA were those, not top 10 offseasons.

(Blazers, Clippers, Nuggets, Raptors, Magic, Bobcats, Pistons, Hornets, Pacers, Cavs)

Those teams might all make the playoffs. That's what I'm saying.

These rankings are awful, I wouldn't have even put the Wizards that high. And how the [expletive] are the Magic in the Bottom 10? Warriors/Nets/Sixers higher than Nuggets/Bobcats/Magic/Blazers?

Seems pretty early for an April Fools joke...

These rankings are awful, I wouldn't have even put the Wizards that high. And how the [expletive] are the Magic in the Bottom 10? Warriors/Nets/Sixers higher than Nuggets/Bobcats/Magic/Blazers?

Seems pretty early for an April Fools joke...

I don't think the Nuggets, Bobcats or Magic have even made any moves as big as the Nets or the Warriors have this season, even the Sixers.

I don't think the Nuggets, Bobcats or Magic have even made any moves as big as the Nets or the Warriors have this season, even the Sixers.

Ohhhhh damn, I misunderstood what this was about. I thought they were predicting the rankings of the teams if they were to start the season today, not just ranking who had the best/worst offseasons. My bad. :P

How are the Jazz in the top 10? They clearly got worse IMO. The rest of the list is shaky but I agree with a decent amount of it. But the Jazz? Damn...

I disagree, simply because I feel Al Jefferson is a better player to have down low than Boozer. If the Jazz didn't have Mehmet Okur at C Boozer would have been a tough loss for them however I think Jeffersons prescense down low is going to be huge for them.

Knicks and Hawks? I think the Hawks can do it again and make the playoffs, but both of those teams are unproven. What I'm saying is I thought it was saying the top 10 teams in the NBA were those, not top 10 offseasons.

Those teams might all make the playoffs. That's what I'm saying.

I misread what you said, I thought it was "all the good teams and all the bad teams"... my bad.