Urlacher on firing back at Bears' critics: 'I'm not going to hold my tongue'

reno

On speaking out against criticism, such as Gale Sayers' comments: "If someone says something I don't like, I'm not going to hold my tongue. It's not fair for us to have people go out there and say stuff about us but there are no consequences to what they say. The consequences are us firing back. They can say whatever they want to about me. There's nothing worse they can say about me. But I get irritated when they talk about my teammates and my coaches."

On NFL Network's Michael Lombardi saying the Bears have just two blue-chip players in Julius Peppers and Lance Briggs: "I don't even know who the guy is, first of all. I watch NFL Network all the time and I guess he's on there. I don't care about that stuff. They can say we don't have any blue-chippers. Who cares? What's a blue-chipper? I think every starter in the NFL is a blue-chipper."

On the proposed 18-game season: "I don't care either way, as long as they take away some of those preseason games. Yes, you open yourself up to more wear-and-tear because it's 18 games that matter, but I'd rather play in games that matter than those preseason games."

On NFL's renewed emphasis on preventing concussions: "I don't think about it. I think I had one my fourth year in Denver, a pretty good one. I think I missed two plays. That's the worst one I could think of. You get dinged up during games every once in a while. You're like 'Wow, I was a little hazy after that play.' That's just the way it goes. It doesn't cross my mind when I'm out there."

On Bears running back Matt Forte: "Matt Forte looks unreal to me. He looks smooth and fast. In this offense, you look at Marshall Faulk ... Forte could be just like him. That's who I'd compare him to with his speed and the way he's coming out of his breaks. With the way he catches the ball, I don't see how we can't do the same thing with him as Faulk did in this offense."

On the possible lockout: "I know it's a big topic right now. I'm just going to try and go out this year and play well. I need to worry about my play on the football field and not what's going on with all that other stuff. But I know it's in the back a lot of people's minds, especially the young guys, the ones who don't have those contracts."

On the favorites to get to the Super Bowl: "I've got to say us. In the AFC, you have to go with the Colts. I know the Saints are going to be tough again. Our division is the toughest in the league. The AFC East is tough, I know that. And we play those teams this season."

On his role in the Cover 2: "I want to make plays. Yes, it has taken me out of plays in the past, but it's good for our team. When I go back and look at the film, I did make a lot of plays in the Cover 2. They're just plays down the field. But it works."

On former teammate Adewale Ogunleye being jobless: "Yes, I'm surprised. But I think he's waiting for the right time. When training camp starts, he'll get the call from somebody. I just want to see him go somewhere and play."

On the pressure coach Lovie Smith faces: "The pressure is on every year. I know they are saying he could be a lame-duck coach. What does he have, one year left on his deal after this year? Winning solves a lot of problems. If we go out there and win and play well, it's not going to matter. He's going to be here for a while if we win."

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/07/urlacher-on-firing-back-at-bears-critics-im-not-going-to-hold-my-tongue.html

Where he say that?

On the favorites to get to the Super Bowl: "I've got to say us. In the AFC, you have to go with the Colts. I know the Saints are going to be tough again. Our division is the toughest in the league. The AFC East is tough, I know that. And we play those teams this season."

This guy continues to be the most overrated LB ever and quite possibly the biggest doucher in the league.

Most over rated LB ever? are you joking? the guy is like an extra corner back out there with the tackling of a top LB

Edited by Fish7718

Brian Urlacher is garbage. Stays in his little zone in the leagues pussiest defense and makes his tackles five yards upfield. Congrats to him for finding that system and thriving in it but he was overrated two years ago, he was overrated five years ago and he's going to be continually overrated. People talk about Urlacher to the HOF too. I just laugh at those misinformed people.

He even said it himself.

I did make a lot of plays in the Cover 2. They're just plays down the field. But it works.

Brian Urlacher is garbage. Stays in his little zone in the leagues pussiest defense and makes his tackles five yards upfield. Congrats to him for finding that system and thriving in it but he was overrated two years ago, he was overrated five years ago and he's going to be continually overrated. People talk about Urlacher to the HOF too. I just laugh at those misinformed people.

He even said it himself.

um lol

I guess you didn't pay attention to urlacher before lovie came. If anything the cover 2 has taken away some of the big plays by urlacher, but he still succeeds in it. I do agree he needs more on his table to get into the hof, maybe a few more probowl seaons, a sb ring, or another dpoy year award. But no way in hell he was overrated a few years ago, do you remember the arizona game on monday night? Or when urlacher was running stride for stride with reggie bush at the nfc championship game? He revolutionized the middle linebacker position in terms of blanketing the field.

Brian Urlacher thrived in a system that relies on undersized players, speed and athleticism. It's an elementary school system, unless you're blitzing out of it, which the Bears never did in it. The only way he "revolutionized" the position was because he was an undersized safety who's only job it was was to back up in the deep zone and perhaps make a tackle if he needed to around the five yard mark.

He was a good player in a great defense in a system that works for his type of player. He is no where near the HOF. Not even close, and a Super Bowl ring wouldn't help his efforts.

He even said it himself.

Lol? how is that bad? So he's not your tradition MLB in the middle of the field but he shuts down the others team tight end and closes the seem routes.

Lol? how is that bad? So he's not your tradition MLB in the middle of the field but he shuts down the others team tight end and closes the seem routes.

The Bears had/have Lance Briggs to shut down tight ends, it was rarely Urlacher doing it.

And great, he can do one thing positive. That's always good, especially when your job mainly consists of dropping back in a deep zone 40-50 times a game or pilejumping for an assisted tackle five-six yards up the field.

Brian Urlacher thrived in a system that relies on undersized players, speed and athleticism. It's an elementary school system, unless you're blitzing out of it, which the Bears never did in it. The only way he "revolutionized" the position was because he was an undersized safety who's only job it was was to back up in the deep zone and perhaps make a tackle if he needed to around the five yard mark.

He was a good player in a great defense in a system that works for his type of player. He is no where near the HOF. Not even close, and a Super Bowl ring wouldn't help his efforts.

I disagree, urlacher thrived better when he was not in the cover 2 system. Have you even paid attention to his 2001 days? Ted washington is far from being called an "undersized player". And the fact urlacher would have far greater stats by now if he was not in the cover 2 system, it takes him out of the plays and plays him into the coverage more. The cover2 system benefits the weak side linebacker, which is why you see players such as Briggs and brooks dominate that area. Urlacher, due to his unreal athletic ability, still dominated the game and was able to completely take over it by himself. And you can call him an undersized free safety but I'm sure happy with his 6-4 258 pound body frame, and the 8 sacks he brought in as a rookie mlb.Hes had a few injury problems the past few years, and hopefully he can renounce from it and have a successful season.