Philadelphia Flyers 2010-2011

Phightins

I just read an interesting trade scenario. The Flyers would trade Jeff Carter to Columbus for Jakub Voracek, John Moore, and the 8th pick in the draft. They would then trade the 8th pick and Kris Versteeg to Florida for the 3rd pick (Florida needs to pick up a bunch of salary to reach the cap floor). If this has any chance of happening, count me in.

Edited by Phightins

There is a lot of speculation that he'd be traded if this Bryzgalov signing indeed happens.

Well, Bryzgalov is probably good for 65-70 starts per season if he stays healthy. So that leaves very little playing time for the backup. Bob is 22 years old and needs to play to develop. And from my understanding, since he appeared in 60 games last year (including postseason), he is no longer waiver exempt if they wanted to send him to the AHL. Also he'd be one of the four or five highest paid backups in the league. So basically the only option would be to trade him. Especially since the Flyers lack draft picks/top prospects, it'd be a good chance to recoup some assets.

I think it'd be cool to have a Thomas/Rask type situation with Bryzgalov/Bobrovsky, but if the Bryz deal is for 5 or more years (it probably will be), I don't see how it could work.

I think the best outcome for the Flyers would be him going back to the KHL. You keep his rights and he develops instead of just giving him away for low end prospects and 4th-5th round draft picks.

If there's a great package deal though including him, then it also isn't as bad but he's shown he can be an NHL starting goaltender so it would be great to keep in the system.

Edit: Didn't realize the Bryz deal might be seven years cause then it really doesn't matter.

Edited by Universe

I think the best outcome for the Flyers would be him going back to the KHL. You keep his rights and he develops instead of just giving him away for low end prospects and 4th-5th round draft picks.

If there's a great package deal though including him, then it also isn't as bad but he's shown he can be an NHL starting goaltender so it would be great to keep in the system.

Edit: Didn't realize the Bryz deal might be seven years cause then it really doesn't matter.

Well, yeah. As I said, in a dream world they could sign Bryzgalov for just 3-4 years, and then hang onto Bob and let him get the job eventually. But since everyone knows how "desperate" the Flyers are for goaltending (thanks Ed Snider!), you know that Bryz and his agent will gouge them for every last penny (clearly, if this 7 year/$49 million rumored deal is true). If it's that many years, I don't think his rights will do much good no matter where he is playing.

Also (correct me if I am wrong), even if he went back to the KHL, if he ever tried to rejoin the Flyers, I believe he'd still have to go through re-entry waivers, which as I was saying, he is no longer exempt from. Somebody would definitely grab him.

And I do believe he has a decent amount of value, I am just not sure exactly how much. Young, and cheap for now (just a bit too expensive to be a 15-game-per-year goalie on a cap-strapped team, IMO). I actually think he'd be a perfect fit for a team like Florida, depending on how far away they think Markstrom is.

Well, yeah. As I said, in a dream world they could sign Bryzgalov for just 3-4 years, and then hang onto Bob and let him get the job eventually. But since everyone knows how "desperate" the Flyers are for goaltending (thanks Ed Snider!), you know that Bryz and his agent will gouge them for every last penny (clearly, if this 7 year/$49 million rumored deal is true). If it's that many years, I don't think his rights will do much good no matter where he is playing.

Also (correct me if I am wrong), even if he went back to the KHL, if he ever tried to rejoin the Flyers, I believe he'd still have to go through re-entry waivers, which as I was saying, he is no longer exempt from. Somebody would definitely grab him.

And I do believe he has a decent amount of value, I am just not sure exactly how much. Young, and cheap for now (just a bit too expensive to be a 15-game-per-year goalie on a cap-strapped team, IMO). I actually think he'd be a perfect fit for a team like Florida, depending on how far away they think Markstrom is.

I think it may be different with players who still are under a rookie contracts but not sure.

One of two things happened today. We either set up a sick foundation for the next ten years, or a great thing was [expletive]ed up.

But I will be honest, I am very excited. And I give a lot of credit to Paul Holmgren. He had Ed Snider up his ass pressuring him to make radical change. Not only was he able to follow through with the change, but he got damn good return on it (from the looks of it).

Also, I will love the Bryz contract for the first half of it and probably hate it for the second half. Whatever. Ed Snider got what he wants, and for now, I can live with the numbers. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, thanks for seven awesome seasons Carts and Richie. I hope Carter and Nash wind up on the same line in Columbus.

I also CAN'T WAIT to see Brayden Schenn in orange and black.

And finally, tonight was the absolute WORST night ever to be stuck at work. Omg.

Edited by Phightins

HFBoards has to be the least knowledgeable and overreacting place I have ever visited. It's so weird. You have the few people who actually know what they're talking about then you go on to the trade proposals and find these gems:

TO FLORIDA:

1st Overall (RNH)

Sheldon Souray

late pick (5-7 round)

TO EDMONTON:

3rd Overall (Larsson or Couturier IMO)

Dmitry Kulikov

To Rangers: Bobby Ryan

To Ducks: Artem Anisimov, Chris Kreider, Michael Del Zotto, and 1st Round Pick (2011)

Tor

Kulemin, Kessel

Pittsburgh

Malkin

HFBoards has to be the least knowledgeable and overreacting place I have ever visited. It's so weird. You have the few people who actually know what they're talking about then you go on to the trade proposals and find these gems:

TO FLORIDA:

1st Overall (RNH)

Sheldon Souray

late pick (5-7 round)

TO EDMONTON:

3rd Overall (Larsson or Couturier IMO)

Dmitry Kulikov

To Rangers: Bobby Ryan

To Ducks: Artem Anisimov, Chris Kreider, Michael Del Zotto, and 1st Round Pick (2011)

Tor

Kulemin, Kessel

Pittsburgh

Malkin

Obviously there are idiots, and many of them, but you are taking the extreme of the proposals. No proposals by Leafs fans are every legitimate as well.

It's a good place, especially when you figure out what posters actually know what they are talking about. The "history of hockey" section is VERY good.

It's also the same place that was saying Canucks in 3,4,5, and 6. Oh, wait, that was here as well. :lol: . I'm just messing with you.

Edited by DaBearsfan101

"He's a guy that's come in the league and hasn't earned respect," Richards told the Team 990 radio station after the trade. "It's just frustrating to see a general manager like that come in here and so much as think that he's better than a lot of people. You have to earn respect in this league. It takes a lot. You can't just come in here as a general manager and trade like that. It's not the way to get respect from other players around the league.

"Hopefully someone on their team addresses it, because, uh, I'm not saying I'm going to do it but something might happen to him of he continues to be that cocky."

--- Mike Richards on Paul Holmgren

I think Mike Richards needs to realize that yesterday's series of events was triggered by the owner, not the general manager. Holmgren was practically crying at the press conference.

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards for Ilya Bryzgalov, Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, Jakub Voracek, Wayne Simmonds, two more picks, and a lot of cap room.

The trade now makes all the sense in the world. Awesome.

Darroll Powe traded to Minnesota for a 3rd round pick. Kind of surprising.

On one hand, I am thrilled that the organization has changed their view on draft picks, and is now stock piling them as opposed to handing them out like candy, but on the other hand, I think the Flyers will really miss Powe next season, unless Ben Holmstrom can step in and contribute big minutes on the PK right away.

Also, there is the possibility that this is a salary cap move, since Powe is a RFA. I have no clue what he was asking for, but I'd be surprised if it was that much. But it still makes me wonder if Paul Holmgren still has something big up his sleeve.

Edited by Phightins

If the Flyers offer sheet Stamkos, and he accepts it, then Holmgren will have owned this off-season, absolutely owned it.

Well, I didn't want to go there, but yes, this has been in the back of my mind the whole time. I still think the chances are slim, but with every salary cut that they make, it makes me wonder more and more.

I still don't think we would have enough cap room though. Right now we have a decent amount of space, but that will go down once Simmonds and Voracek receive new contracts. But who knows.

More than likely, these moves are to clear space to make a run at Brooks Laich or somebody similar (which I am totally cool with...Laich would be a great fit).

But Stamkos is more fun :glasses:

There are several Flyers writers pushing the Stamkos rumors hard. It is kind of frustrating, since the chances are still very slim. It can happen, but one more big contract will have to go first. The most frustrating part about this is that they have over $10 million committed to just Scott Hartnell and Jody Shelley over the next two years. If those two would just disappear, they could actually make something work without trading any more good players.

Frank Seravalli, the Flyers reporter for the Philadelphia Daily News, is reporting that the Flyers are considering giving Stamkos an offer sheet worth $115 million over 12 years with a full no-movement clause.

No offer sheet for Stamkos. Would have been a huge risk, so I understand it. Would have made for a fun week though.

Now we can focus on the likes of Erik Cole, Michael Ryder, Simon Gagne, Ville Leino, Jamie Langenbrunner, etc.

Edited by Phightins

Early lineup prediction...

van Riemsdyk-Giroux-Jagr

Hartnell-Briere-Voracek

Talbot-Schenn-Simmonds

Nodl-Betts-Sestito

Shelley

Pronger-Carle

Timonen-Coburn

Meszaros-Lilja

Bartulis

Bryzgalov

Bobrovsky

Pretty clear another forward is needed. Also, I am not sure I like the idea of Schenn being the "shut down center" as a rookie. From everything I have seen and read, I think he is capable, but I still am a bit weary of it.

Also, I would really like to see Erik Gustafsson make the roster, but I suspect they want another full season in the AHL.

Anyway, the defense is still great if Pronger and Timonen can hold up for a full season, the goaltending is improved, and the forwards, at first glance, are significantly weaker. IMO Schenn really needs to have an incredible year for the offense to be anywhere close to what it was last year. That, or Couturier needs to have an incredible camp and force his way onto the roster and be great.

Really have no idea what to make of this roster right now. Pretty excited to see them play though.

Edited by Phightins