Team USA warns players near cut line

Newman

After a week of workouts in Las Vegas, 15 players received invites to another USA Basketball training camp.

A few of them got warnings, too.

The Americans will head from New York to Europe for the final steps of their preparations for the world championships in Turkey, and some players may be in danger of getting a ticket home instead.

(Jerry) Colangelo refused to specify which players are in danger, though guards and wings face the most competition because the team is loaded at those positions while lacking big bodies in the middle.

Three players were cut after the Las Vegas camp, so the remaining candidates are: forwards Kevin Durant, Lamar Odom, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Jeff Green and Kevin Love; guards Chauncey Billups, Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Andre Iguodala, Eric Gordon and Stephen Curry; and centers Tyson Chandler and JaVale McGee.

Source

Thoughts on who got warnings? My bets are on: Eric Gordon, Steph Curry and Granger.

^ Yeah no doubt about that, the only all-stars from last year in the team are: Durant, Rose, Rondo and Billups. :unsure:

Rose Rondo? They could have trouble if they dont have a shooter at the PG position, Billups should get the most time if I am coaching the US team.

Rose Rondo? They could have trouble if they dont have a shooter at the PG position, Billups should get the most time if I am coaching the US team.

they could run a lineup of Rose/Rondo, Curry, Granger and Odom... that would hide the PGs poor shooting. although they can't play that all game

Best rebounder, I can give you that. But Odom is a crappy shooter, teams intentionally leave him open.

he shot 32% from deep last season, which is average... so he would be their best shooting option for PF... they can chuck in McGee or Chandler at Center depending on which side of the bed Coach K woke up on

Edited by PiLR

he shot 32% from deep last season, which is average... so he would be their best shooting option for PF... they can chuck in McGee or Chandler at Center depending on which side of the bed Coach K woke up on

32% is below average, average is around 34%, I am sure any Laker fan will say he is horrible from 3 pointers.

32% is below average, average is around 34%, I am sure any Laker fan will say he is horrible from 3 pointers.

well, i'm a Laker fan and i'm saying he is an average 3pt shooter ;) maybe just below average, but certainly not horrible. his only problem is he's an idiot and loves to shoot them waaaay to often

Odom? lol definitely not a shooter.

This is a very young team, but they are still very good. My guess for players that are getting warned are Green, Gordan, and Curry. Seeing that we only have 2 centers it makes it just about a guarantee that they are not going to get cut.

Edited by ChosenOne

Green, Gordon and Westbrook IMO. Green and Gordon don't offer anything the team is lacking, and Rondo/Rose/Billups/Curry is enough at the PG position and all are probably better suited for the international game.

Why? I'm sure you haven't been following USA Basketball. McGee has been a beast in the practices and scrimmages and they have 2 centers so that pretty much means none will get cut.

They have been using Odom as a center so you can count him as one. Yes I am merely speculating that he is going to be cut based on the fact that he didn't play in the scrimmage against China despite not being injured but I don't think they are going to definitely go with two pure centers.