Gortat wants to start at the 4

Cobb

He was talking about it on the radio. He wants more minutes and thinks he'll be able to start at the 4. Another thing he said was that he can knock down shots from outside and defend any other 4 in the league. What do you guys think?

I never understood this about Van Gundy and how he manages the rotation. Late last season, I remember asking myself why we never pair up Gortat and Howard in the paint, even for short amounts of time, to keep out guys who like going to the basket. The post defense would be surreal. Even if it's the other way around and we have Gortat manning the middle and Howard as the four, it'd mean a lot stronger defensive play for us inside.

But, with our team philosophy, we like to have four shooters on the court at all times so unless something changes with our offense and we suddenly become more half-court oriented, less reliant on the jumpshot from range, and more reliant on getting to the basket and using our mismatches effectively, I don't think Gortat will get much time at the four, not alongside Howard anyway.

I can see why he's saying that too, by the way. He was just signed to a big deal. He wants ample playing time as well so he's voicing his concerns.

If he can add jumper into his game it could work. He's decent from the line so I think it's possible. It makes sense on the defensive side of the ball but there are a few questions on the offensive side. We'll just have to see.

The Magic would be better off starting Bass at the 4. He's a true power forward. I don't think Gortat is quick enough to defend elite power forwards. We'll see how the Magic handle it. I do agree that he has proven to deserve a lot more minutes though.

• Owner

C - Gortat

PF - Howard

SF - Lewis

SG - Carter

PG - Nelson

That's what it needs to look like. Gortat is a pretty good man-to-man defensive player, really, and he belongs down low. Howard can step away from the rim a bit and defend his opponents, and get back quick enough to play help defense and swat a shot or two.

C - Gortat

PF - Howard

SF - Lewis

SG - Carter

PG - Nelson

That's what it needs to look like. Gortat is a pretty good man-to-man defensive player, really, and he belongs down low. Howard can step away from the rim a bit and defend his opponents, and get back quick enough to play help defense and swat a shot or two.

I somewhat agree, considering Dwight was drafted as a power forward as opposed to a center. They'll have to experiment if they're going to be starting Gortat, seeing where he would fit in better. Personally, I would have him play the power forward more on the offensive end, but he can function as a center more on the defensive end.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats whats up man.... Gortat is a starter and needs to start. The lineup that Real Deal posted is perfect and thats how it needs to be. Gortat would have been a starter somewhere else but selfish Magic took him back, but he needs to start either way now.

Thats whats up man.... Gortat is a starter and needs to start. The lineup that Real Deal posted is perfect and thats how it needs to be. Gortat would have been a starter somewhere else but selfish Magic took him back, but he needs to start either way now.

Lol, selfish Magic. Why? Because we like winning? GTFO.

I think they matched the offer to keep him as an asset, I think he will be moved for a valuable piece. I applaud Magic, in this economy, they still value talent and wouldn't let a player as good as Gortat walk.

If Gortat keeps complaining about time especially, they will trade him. Hopefully to the Nuggets :)

Bass will start because I've already put him in the lineup on the board index. Sorry Marcin.

But yeah, again, Gortat should start at the five.

Just like I said, Gortat can ask for the starting PG spot for all it matters, it's set in stone. Bass is starting.

:lol:

Just like I said, Gortat can ask for the starting PG spot for all it matters, it's set in stone. Bass is starting.

:lol:

Link? Source?

I haven't heard any news of anyone having their position 'set in stone' aside from the obvious. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, they haven't ruled out starting Pietrus at Small Forward and keeping Rashard Lewis at the Power Forward. Nobody from the Magic organization has made it clear that Bass is starting 100%, without a doubt.

Link? Source?

I haven't heard any news of anyone having their position 'set in stone' aside from the obvious. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, they haven't ruled out starting Pietrus at Small Forward and keeping Rashard Lewis at the Power Forward. Nobody from the Magic organization has made it clear that Bass is starting 100%, without a doubt.

Yep. As of right now, JJ starting at SG is a possibility (please no), as well as Pietrus or Barnes starting at SF. I hope Bass starts, that seems like such a beastly line up with him.