WK7: Washington @ Chicago

Real Deal

• 1 month later...

Looks like Cooley and Haynesworth will play, great news for the Skins.

We gotta exploit that weak O-line. Gotta get Orakpo going early, blitz a lot, and give our Dline some confidence. Only then will Cutler throw interceptions. I see our defense coming up big tomorrow.

As for the offense, we just need to get the passing game going. Get Fred Davis more involved, he's more than capable of catching the ball, and is often a liability when he's not involved in the passing game. He's not a good blocker. The Bears have the #1 best run defense in the NFC, third in the league overall, so I don't see Torain having the type of game he had last week against the Colts. They don't give up a ton of points, so this should be a fairly close game.

Interesting fact, McNabb is 4-1 at Soldier Field, so I gotta believe the game plan is to pass more.

OMFG DeAngelo Hall 4 PICKS? wow that's insane, I don't think I've ever seen that b4

I think Delta O'Neal did it before, but other then that I've never seen it before.

But, let's be honest, I'm a huge fan of Washington and Mike Shanahan now. They're not the most talented team, but they scrap out every yard, they are tough to play against and are the epitome of a rough and tumble team. They'll win ugly, lose ugly, whatever, but the Redskins are going to the playoffs, I think.

Probably the second most frustrating game this season to watch behind the week 3 disaster in St. Louis.

Let me start off by talking about the offense. We don't run the ball as much as we should, and we hardly ever establish it early in the game. The first play in the game was a play action, and while it was a successful one, I don't agree with the call. The D hardly ever bites on these constant PA fakes, which leaves McNabb susceptible. And speaking of Mcnabb, he hasn't looked good at all lately.

There's just no identity. 34 pass plays and 28 run plays, and that's including us running the clock out with Torain. Until late in the game, we had a 2:1 pass to run ratio. Problem is, the team isn't good with the pass. They need to take the pressure off McNabb by running the ball, using screens, and draw plays.

I love what DeAngelo did today, he plays phenomenal. He really answered back after getting torched the past few weeks. Great to see. Hopefully he inspires our whole secondary.

And oh yeah, Orakpo is a flat out beast. Same goes to Landry. Orakpo has 7 sacks on the season, Landry is leading the league in tackles. Love the production those two are giving to our defense.

I just hope we can stay the course and beat a pretty good Detroit team next week and go in to the bye where everyone can heal up a bit. I think McNabb really needs the time to heal and maybe Portis will be back for Philly.

@ AL, do you think Torain will remain the starter even when Portis comes back, he has run the ball pretty effectively almost every game.

Torain seems to have that ideal body size for Shanahan's run schemes, but Portis is still a great physical back. Portis has done and said some dumb things that have been amplified by his lack of success in an inept offense behind a terrible offense line, but let's not downplay what he has done for this franchise.

Portis is still the more complete back, and really, it's not even close. Assuming he's healthy and performs well in practice during the bye week, I don't see any reason not to start him. He's the better pass blocker and a much better receiver out of the backfield. His versatility gives him the nod over Torain IMO, and either way, we should be seeing a heavy dose of both Torain and Portis throughout the game, with Portis being the man on third downs.

Bottom line is that we need all the help we can get on third downs, because so far, we are one of the worst teams in that category.