WK15: Green Bay @ New England

Real Deal

strength of schedule isn't going to be used to determine an MVP, this isn't the ncaa

I'm not saying it is a main factor, but it could certainly play a factor. I am not trying to downplay Vick's season whatsoever because it has been amazing, but I just don't see the case for him being the MVP over Brady right now. I could definitely see him winning OPOTY, but not the MVP at this point.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quickly pro-rated Vick's stats over a 16 game stretch to compare with Brady's. If he kept up with his pace, he would have 4408 passing yards, 32 touchdowns with 13 on the ground. He'd have thrown a 72% completion percentage, thrown 8 interceptions and 275.3 yards/game with 526 attempts on the season and a 105 QB rating.

These stats over 16 games (assuming Brady also plays 16 games) would be better in the yards/game, yards on average, rushing touchdowns and completion percentage. Brady would have the better passing TD margin, less interceptions and a better QB rating. However, they are neck in neck in most of those categories.

Some food for thought.

I quickly pro-rated Vick's stats over a 16 game stretch to compare with Brady's. If he kept up with his pace, he would have 4408 passing yards, 32 touchdowns with 13 on the ground. He'd have thrown a 72% completion percentage, thrown 8 interceptions and 275.3 yards/game with 526 attempts on the season and a 105 QB rating.

These stats over 16 games (assuming Brady also plays 16 games) would be better in the yards/game, yards on average, rushing touchdowns and completion percentage. Brady would have the better passing TD margin, less interceptions and a better QB rating. However, they are neck in neck in most of those categories.

Some food for thought.

Maybe I just don't understand what you did but how could he complete 72% of his passes when he is only completing 63% on the year and has gone over 66.7% only twice(once was the Redskins game he got hurt in and went 5/7 passing). Also how would his passer rating be 105 when he only has 3 games over 103.3(though 103.6 is his season average). Just curious.

Maybe I just don't understand what you did but how could he complete 72% of his passes when he is only completing 63% on the year and has gone over 66.7% only twice(once was the Redskins game he got hurt in and went 5/7 passing). Also how would his passer rating be 105 when he only has 3 games over 103.3(though 103.6 is his season average). Just curious.

It's a flaw in how I did the calculations (completion percentage wise), which I should've mentioned. It would go up with more attempts. It'd probably stay the same, maybe go up a little.

Also, it's easy for QB ratings to fluctuate. Vick's rating was around 107 a few weeks ago. That could explain it.

Some food for thought.

You can pro-rate for a QB all you want, but that's not taking into consideration the punishment he would endure playing 4+ more games.

It's also not taking into consideration the considerably easier schedule Vick has played against.

We'll compare Brady's stats and Vick's stats against teams they've both played against.

Green Bay Packers:

Vick: 16/24, 175 yards passing, 103 yards rushing, 1 TD, 0 INT, and a 101.9 rating.

Brady: 15/24, 163 yards passing, 2 TD, 0 INT, 110.2 rating.

Detroit Lions:

Vick: 21/34, 284 yards passing, 37 yards rushing, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, and a 108.0 rating.

Brady: 21/27, 341 yards passing, 4 TD's, 0 INT's, and a 158.3 rating.

Indianapolis Colts:

Vick: 17/29, 218 yards passing, 74 yards rushing, 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD, and a 93.8 rating.

Brady: 19/25, 186 yards passing, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, and a 123.1 rating.

Chicago Bears:

Vick: 29/44, 333 yards passing, 44 yards rushing, 2 passing TD's, 1 INT, and a 94.2 rating.

Brady: 27/40, 369 yards passing, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, and a 113.4 rating.

Vick played very well during those games, but not once was his passer rating better, and he also had two things that Brady didn't have against those teams, and that would be losses.

And, whatever "system" you are using to come up with your numbers is incredibly inaccurate considering there is no way Vick's completely percentage goes up 7% in the next two games.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

You can pro-rate for a QB all you want, but that's not taking into consideration the punishment he would endure playing 4+ more games.

It's also not taking into consideration the considerably easier schedule Vick has played against.

We'll compare Brady's stats and Vick's stats against teams they've both played against.

Green Bay Packers:

Vick: 16/24, 175 yards passing, 103 yards rushing, 1 TD, 0 INT, and a 101.9 rating.

Brady: 15/24, 163 yards passing, 2 TD, 0 INT, 110.2 rating.

Detroit Lions:

Vick: 21/34, 284 yards passing, 37 yards rushing, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, and a 108.0 rating.

Brady: 21/27, 341 yards passing, 4 TD's, 0 INT's, and a 158.3 rating.

Indianapolis Colts:

Vick: 17/29, 218 yards passing, 74 yards rushing, 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD, and a 93.8 rating.

Brady: 19/25, 186 yards passing, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, and a 123.1 rating.

Chicago Bears:

Vick: 29/44, 333 yards passing, 44 yards rushing, 2 passing TD's, 1 INT, and a 94.2 rating.

Brady: 27/40, 369 yards passing, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, and a 113.4 rating.

Vick played very well during those games, but not once was his passer rating better, and he also had two things that Brady didn't have against those teams, and that would be losses.

And, whatever "system" you are using to come up with your numbers is incredibly inaccurate considering there is no way Vick's completely percentage goes up 7% in the next two games.

I just did it using a calculator lol, the only thing that would be inaccurate is the completion percentage. Everything else including stats, touchdowns and interceptions would be correct.

Again, as LKR and some others have said, strength of schedule gets thrown out the window because it's an uncontrollable variable. You can't create who you play against. It has absolutely no bearing on who you play against, because both teams are two of the top five teams in the NFL right now. It matters when arguing examples such as power rankings, but personal performance is unrelated to what teams you play.

Vick would've run rampant over a terrible Washington defense, a terrible Tennessee defense, and a terrible San Francisco defense. Kevin Kolb helped put up 31 points over Atlanta, so it's very likely Vick's numbers would've received some sort of boost. But we're arguing semantics, it doesn't really matter. I happen to think Brady will win the MVP, I was just providing some stats that Vick would've had if he played 16 games. Unfortunately, you can't control that at all due to Vick's playing style.

• 2 weeks later...

Vick really looking like an MVP tonight. Looks like those "prorated" stats people love to throw around about if he played all 16 games forgets that he cant put up those same numbers every game for a whole season.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Brady has never had a bad game. He sure looked like the MVP in Super Bowl XLII!

Vick really looking like an MVP tonight. Looks like those "prorated" stats people love to throw around about if he played all 16 games forgets that he cant put up those same numbers every game for a whole season.

It's not like Brady was that much better this week, against a far inferior opponent. He was very pedestrian, just like Vick. I don't see your point.

It's not like Brady was that much better this week, against a far inferior opponent. He was very pedestrian, just like Vick. I don't see your point.

Both teams these guys played suck.

Sorry if I don't think Vick having 3 turnovers and 2 TDs is the same as Brady with 3 TDs and no turnovers.