30 for 30: Jordan Rides The Bus

bigdog17k

what is it?

In the fall of 1993, in his prime and at the summit of the sports world, Michael Jordan walked away from pro basketball. After leading the Dream Team to an Olympic gold medal in 1992 and taking the Bulls to their third consecutive NBA championship the following year, Jordan was jolted by the murder of his father. Was it the brutal loss of such an anchor in his life that caused the world’s most famous athlete to rekindle a childhood ambition by playing baseball? Or some feeling that he had nothing left to prove or conquer in basketball? Or something deeper and perhaps not yet understood? Ron Shelton, a former minor leaguer who brought his experiences to life in the classic movie “Bull Durham,” will revisit Jordan’s short career in the minor leagues and explore the motivations that drove the world’s most competitive athlete to play a new sport in the relative obscurity of Birmingham, Alabama, for a young manager named Terry Francona.

http://30for30.espn.com/film/jordan-rides-the-bus.html

Yea, I just saw that. It wasn't as great as I thought it would be although it was good. I've seen better ones on 30 for 30...like the Raiders (the one Ice Cube directed) and that Buster Douglas one.

But back to the Jordan one, you know what it was missing? I good Scottie Pippen interview. I wanted to know how Scottie felt after Jordan decided to retire and Pip had to take over. It had a lot of Phil Jackson dialogue, but it needed some Pippen. Jordan looked really odd standing in that batters box. So tall and lanky, swingin' all goofy like.

30 for 30 is probably one of ESPN's greatest creations in 20+ years!!!! I hope they keep it comin! Maybe do one on the greatest QB draft pick busts, or something along that line.

I'm going to watch. Wait, terry Francona is in it? Cool.

Yea, cuz...that blew me!!! At the time Jordan did that I just left the 8th grade. Little did I know at the time that his then-manager would later on manage a World Series champ. He did a good interview, though. Forget the Bo Sawks, tho....lol