WNBA Playoffs Thread - Conference Semifinals

Poe

Discuss the first round of the WNBA Playoffs here!

Western Conference

Seattle Storm (1) vs Los Angeles Sparks (4)

Storm wins 2 - 0

Series Preview: http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2010/westseries1.html

Phoenix Mercury (2) vs San Antonio Silverstars (3)

Mercury wins 2 - 0

Series Preview: http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2010/westseries2.html

Eastern Conference

Washington Mystics (1) vs Atlanta Dream (4)

Dream wins 2 - 0

Series Preview: http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2010/eastseries1.html

New York Liberty (2) vs Indiana Fever (3)

Liberty wins 2 - 1

Series review: http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2010/eastseries2.html

Edited by Poe

• Owner

Don't know how you follow the WNBA...just too difficult for me to stick with it.

Sparks game is Saturday, right? I think I saw it advertised on ESPN2 this morning.

Not sure why I'm going to try and watch it, though. The Storm are going to advance. No Parker, and Seattle is too good not to lose this time around.

I clicked on this thread so I could check up on how the Comets are doing and it took a minute to realize they folded. -_-

Anyways I might just catch the Mercury games solely because I want to see how Taurasi does. Guess I'll give it a chance but the last time I did was during last year's playoffs and it was painful to watch.

Don't know how you follow the WNBA...just too difficult for me to stick with it.

Sparks game is Saturday, right? I think I saw it advertised on ESPN2 this morning.

Not sure why I'm going to try and watch it, though. The Storm are going to advance. No Parker, and Seattle is too good not to lose this time around.

Yea, there are two games aired on ESPN 2 on Saturday. One at 1:00 pm EST and one at 3:00 pm EST. The Sparks game is at 3:00.

But yea, the Sparks are missing Parker, and the Storm team is stacked. The only reason the Sparks even made the playoffs is because the Western conference is terrible having 3 teams with losing records making the playoffs (which is kind of ironic how it's the opposite to the NBA).

Perhaps Thompson and Ticha can pull off a win at home. Pretty unlikely though. It would be like a Kobe-less '06 Lakers team trying to defeat the Mavericks.

Edited by Poe

Anyways I might just catch the Mercury games solely because I want to see how Taurasi does. Guess I'll give it a chance but the last time I did was during last year's playoffs and it was painful to watch.

Well Taurasi just came off a double-double with 14 points and 10 assists, though she didn't have to do much scoring since the game was virtually a blowout. The Mercury PF Candice Dupree just had a terrific game with 32 points and 8 rebounds in her playoff debut. I think her point total set a WNBA record for a playoff debut as well.

It's much easier to watch if you know the players and know what to look for. It might even excite you if you happen to catch a game that goes down to the last second.

Well Taurasi just came off a double-double with 14 points and 10 assists, though she didn't have to do much scoring since the game was virtually a blowout. The Mercury PF Candice Dupree just had a terrific game with 32 points and 8 rebounds in her playoff debut. I think her point total set a WNBA record for a playoff debut as well.

It's much easier to watch if you know the players and know what to look for. It might even excite you if you happen to catch a game that goes down to the last second.

Thats some truth there :)

Personally I love the WNBA, lack of athleticism, below 30% 3 point shooting, tons of layups, women getting it in the post and clanking a dumb shot every 3 minutes, its great.

If dunking is the only thing you enjoy in watching basketball games, then perhaps the WNBA isn't for you.

• Owner

I don't see how anyone is going to beat Jackson, Cash and Bird. Going to be an interesting series with Phoenix, though.

And WTF was up with San Antonio? I watched the first half of the game (didn't see the second half), but...the Mercury were up 23-2 or something to start the game. :lol:

I don't see how anyone is going to beat Jackson, Cash and Bird. Going to be an interesting series with Phoenix, though.

And WTF was up with San Antonio? I watched the first half of the game (didn't see the second half), but...the Mercury were up 23-2 or something to start the game. :lol:

The thing is the Mercury team completely out-matches San Antonio, and a lot of it has to do with size. There is already plenty of size advantage on the perimeter and on the block to start the game (6'0'' Diana Taurasi, 6'1'' Penny Taylor, and 6'3'' Candice Dupree compared to 5'6'' Edwige Lawson-Wade, 5'11'' Roneeka Hodges, and 6'1'' Sophia Young), but when Corey Gaines subs in 6'4'' DeWanna Bonner for 5'3'' Temeka Johnson and moves Taurasi to the point, that's when things start to get really ugly for the Silver Stars.

With Taurasi at the point, she then becomes the shortest player on the court for the Mercury at 6 foot. To put it in perspective, Sophia Young is only the second tallest player for the Silver Stars' starting line up at 6'1'', so you can imagine the headache it creates for the Silver Stars' coach Sandy Brondello, especially when you comebine that size advantage with Phoenix's run-n-gun, 7 seconds or less offense. Being outmatched from both speed and size, it's no wonder that the Mercury did away with San Antonio so easily.

The Mercury has a team that can create a lot of mismatches. That's something that is going to give them an advantage against Seattle, though the Storm clearly beat them talent-wise. It's going to be a very interesting series.