Phoenix at Toronto

Real Deal

• 1 month later...

Saw most of the 4th quarter and a little bit o fthe 3rd, and Amir Johnson, Jarrett Jack and Linas Kleiza looked very good for Toronto.

Johnson finished with 17/11 on 8-9 shooting in 24 minutes. I think he had 7 offensive rebounds, was keep balls alive on both the offensive and defensive glass, was diving on the floor for loose balls and did a great job of not forcing anything offensively. As usual, fouls were a problem for him, though. He had at least 4 fouls in the first 17 minutes of playing time that he received. I'm not sure if he picked up a 5th, but regardless, he still needs a lot of work on cutting down his fouls.

Kleiza looks like he will be the Raptors best player this season, at least offensively. He was scoring off of the bounce, posting up and hitting from deep. He was also doing a nice job of getting his teammates involved and getting on the glass as I think he finished with 4 or 5 assists and around 7 rebounds as well. Good game from him and he seems like he really enjoys playing against the Suns.

Lastly, Jack looked good in the limited action that I saw him. He had around 16 points I think and was doing a good job of beating Dragic off of the bench and getting easy looks. I'm not sure what his other numbers looked like, but he was impressive in the time that I saw him on the floor. After his play last season and so far this pre-season, I think he has put an end to any debate about who the better point guard is between him and Calderon.

Didn't really see much of anybody else as Bargnani, DeRozan, Barbosa and Calderon didn't really play much, if at all, while I was watching. Weems was chucking a bit (I wish he would stop shooting threes) and Banks looked pretty solid for the 2nd game in a row, but it is the pre-season so who really knows what is going to happen.

Yeah, Weems is going to be in full blown Mike James-esque chucker mode this season. Sadly, I can't see him putting up the kind of percentages that James put up during his one year stint in Toronto.

Contract year + lottery team + Weems never seeing a shot he doesn't like - defined star/roles = a lot of Weems chucking.

Edited by Built Ford Tough