LA Lakers at Denver

Real Deal

• Owner

Lakers aren't the last one standing, bit of a surprise.

Really? I'm not surprised. It was our second best start in franchise history, if I recall correctly...and that includes seasons from the other 16 championships.

Really? I'm not surprised. It was our second best start in franchise history, if I recall correctly...and that includes seasons from the other 16 championships.

I could care less about history, its just weird that the Hornets are like 7-0, most people wouldn't have even predicted that.

• Owner

I could care less about history, its just weird that the Hornets are like 7-0, most people wouldn't have even predicted that.

I'll give that to you, but once I found out how they were playing, I was almost 100% sure they would stay undefeated longer than LA. Our guys are too complacent to keep a record like that for very long. I miss those 19 and 15-game win streaks Kobe and Shaq could run off. :(

The Hornets are just very, very good defensively. They are holding teams to 42.5% FG (3rd in the league) and 29.8% 3PT (second), with just an opponent average of 90.1 PPG (tied with Heat for best in the league). They don't have much offensive firepower, but they do shoot the ball better than most teams in the league.

Getting Ariza really helps their defensive rankings. Houston could really use him right now.

I had a feeling we were going to lose this one when halftime hit. It just seemed like we didn't give a [expletive], we were giving up layups left and right and offensively no one else was involved and Kobe was shooting away. Kobe shooting 32 shots to get 34 points, that's rarely ever going to get us a win.

• Owner

See, Gasol has a total of 14 30-point games for the Lakers (just four in 67 playoff games), and he's been a Laker for 182 games so far in his career.

Number-crunching doesn't tell much, of course, but anyone that knows Gasol's game realizes he's not going to drop 40 when Kobe is struggling. He's got two 40-point games in his career, both being in Memphis...and how many times did Memphis need it from him?

Bryant is still way too important to this team. He can't shoot 10-30 (just an example) and lean on other guys to pull out a win just by playing offense. When Bryant is struggling, it's the team's defense that has to lock down the opposing team, and right now, our defense is average.

Last night, Bryant had no lift on that jumper. It seems to happen randomly. Not saying Afflalo didn't defend him well, but Bryant makes most of the ones he missed if it's any other night. It was a flat shot, and it was ugly.

Gasol has absolutely no excuse, though. He was getting shown up by Al Harrington, who has never been acknowledged for his defense (more for his lack of defense) and is very small defending Gasol. If this were Big Ben defending Shaq, okay...but it would take three Al Harringtons to match what Big Ben did as an undersized center.

Not only that, but Denver delivered the beating with Melo and Billups on the bench. The 16-point run (maybe it was 17)...Lawson was leading the charge with Smith and Forbes. Unacceptable.

I gotta watch this game again, last night was like a flurry of baskets.

But I know one thing, to say we can beat the Lakers legitimately would be foolish. I still didn't like how we settled for too many outside shots and how some players were standing around. We won small, but it's hard to imagine we can win small in a 7-game series... unless Shelden averages 15 rpg.

I am down with Shelden's decreasing rebounding by each game... he was pulling 15 rpg from pre-season to a couple of games into the season.

And I think AA's defense is a lot better last year than this year. I do think he's trying to focus on offense to the point that some of that focus is taken away from his defense. Kind of disappointing.