Magic Close to Signing C.J. Watson

The Goods

The Orlando Magic are close to signing free agent point guard C.J. Watson, giving them an alternative to veteran Anthony Johnson as a backup to often-injured Jameer Nelson.

Watson, 6-2, 180 pounds, played the last two years at Golden State after spending one year in Greece and another year in the NBA Development League.

According to NBA sources, Watson could be signed as early as this weekend. Watson last season averaged 9.5 points and 2.7 assists, mostly as a backup for the Warriors. Golden State would have seven days to match any offer, since Watson is a restricted free agent.

The Magic have been looking for a low-budget point guard since they traded veteran Rafer Alston last month to New Jersey as part of the deal that brought Vince Carter to Orlando.

Alston was the Magic starter through the second half of last season and through their playoff run. Despite helping the Magic reach the NBA Finals, he became expendable because the Magic already were committed to Nelson as their starter for next season.

Nelson, though, has struggled with durability through his career. He played 42 games last season and 69 games the previous year. His size and willingness to throw around his 6-0, 190-pound frame has led to several injuries in his five years with the Magic.

The Magic already have Johnson under contract, but they decided not to re-sign free agent point guard Tyronn Lue.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/17/magic-close-to-signing-c-j-watson/

I saw this earlier. I like it if it happens, he's young and seems like a good bench guy.

Is he good Yama?

He is a great hustle player. He's more of a two guard than a point, but he can pass. He is a great shooter, can be a streaky scorer, and gambles a lot of defense (pays off at times). He get's to the line too.

He played all of last season with a torn ligament in his arm, so he is a tough little guy.

I wanted him to stay, but I guess just another guard we'll have to lose unless we match the offer.

He is a great hustle player. He's more of a two guard than a point, but he can pass. He is a great shooter, can be a streaky scorer, and gambles a lot of defense (pays off at times). He get's to the line too.

He played all of last season with a torn ligament in his arm, so he is a tough little guy.

I wanted him to stay, but I guess just another guard we'll have to lose unless we match the offer.

I like him already. :)

Any news on whether the Warriors will match or not?

I don't think they will. Already stacked with point guards (Ellis, Curry, Claxton, Law, even Jackson and Belinelli can play the point). I would be surprised if they match the offer.

Nah, I do it all on my own. The RealGM name definitely gets me access when I try to schedule stuff though. I have to find all of the numbers and make the calls and everything though. For every interview I get, there's 50 I don't get.

Edited by Swish