Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin II To Headline UFC 103

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=21299

Their first bout split the mixed martial arts community, making it obvious that they needed more than 15 minutes to settle their score. On Saturday, September 19th, UFC superstars Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin will meet again in the main event of UFC 103 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, with Henderson looking to make it 2-0 over the former middleweight champ, and Franklin trying to even things up with the former two division PRIDE champion.

And if that’s not enough, the biggest MMA event to ever hit Texas will feature perhaps the most explosive heavyweight battle of the year when one of the sport’s most feared strikers, Mirko Cro Cop, takes on Brazilian knockout artist Junior Dos Santos. Tickets for UFC 103 are on sale now.

Their first fight was a very close, somewhat controversial split decision victory for Hendo (it was scored 29-28 Hendo, 30-27 Rich, 29-28 Hendo), which made him the Team USA coach on the past season of TUF and was a great fight. Last time they fought at Middleweight, but this time I would imagine that they will fight at Light Heavyweight. Whether that will play a role in the rematch, I don't know. Their first fight was a very entertaining and underrated fight, and I expect another great fight in the rematch. This definitely came out of nowhere and I did not see it coming. It also seems to be a little soon for a rematch as their first fight was in Janurary.

However, with that said, I don't understand the reasoning behind this fight on the UFC's behalf. Don't get me wrong, it will be an entertaining fight, but it doesn't make much sense to me as Franklin and Hendo are both currently making runs in different divisions (Rich at 205 and Hendo at 185). If Franklin loses, it really doesn't give him much beyond avenging one of his losses and it would absolutely derail all of the momentum that Hendo had built up at 185 since he lost to Silva, and would probably wreck his chances of getting a rematch with Anderson (I mean can you see the UFC giving Hendo a rematch with Silva if he is coming off of a loss to somebody that Anderson KO'd twice?). If Hendo beats Franklin, it sort of ruins Franklin's momentum, but doesn't really do much for Hendo in the MW division either. Strange.

Oh well, it should be a good fight. UFC 103 is actually looking solid, although it really doesn't do much in terms of rankings and such (aside from Swick/Kampmann).

Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Junior Dos Santos

Mike Swick vs. Martin Kampmann

Tyson Griffin Vs. Hermes Franca

Josh Koscheck Vs. Frank Trigg

Some good fights, but like I said above, aside from Swick and Kampmann (winner will probably earn the right to get beaten by GSP) there really aren't any fights on here that are going to have impacts on their respective divisions.

Anyways, enough rambling on my part.

Edited by Built Ford Tough