Carmelo dodges question on Nuggets

magicbalala245

• Owner
I'm in the offseason right now. My mind-set is just to enjoy fashion week, enjoy this U.S. Open and that's it. I'm not really thinking about basketball right now."

Spoken like a true high-schooler on a summer vacation.

Basketball is year-long. You don't have to be in the gym 24/7, or shooting baskets, but your mind has to stay in the game...especially when you're in Melo's position. He's sitting in between a fat extension and a trade, unsure of his future, weeks away from training camp and less than a month away from the first preseason game...and he's not thinking about basketball?

Guest Michael Jordan

Only once in seven years he's gotten past the first round, yet he thinks he's a top five player in the league.

He acts like he's LeBron...

Does he wanna be an ignorant punk?

After KD's amazing showing in Turkey, the trade value of every SF in the NBA goes down a little (including LeBron) because KD was simply spectacular.

Every GM for 29 teams is day-dreaming about KD, not Melo... hmmm we gotta trade his [expletive] before his value keeps going down...

C'mon now. Melo in 2006 lit up the WC's in a similar way Durant did. Not as dominant, but he still averaged 20PPG on 51% shooting in under 24MPG. The WC's are not a way to gauge an NBA players' value, let alone the rest of the league playing his position. Durant is locked up for a few more years after his extension and is content in OKC for the time being. Melo is going to without a doubt be gone from the Nuggets by the time next summer rolls around, and despite his attitude and the fact that he's a playoff novice he's still a top 8 player in the league (with Kobe/LeBron/Wade/Paul/Howard/Durant/Williams all better or on the same level).

^Like Bill Simmons put it, how to measure Durant's greatness: had the USA replaced Durant with LeBron at the beginning of the tournament, noone'd be sure if they'd win gold.

The WC is a way to gauge a player's value all right... Durant has proven he is a superstar in the NBA, excelling in the international game proves he's a complete basketball player (the same cannot be said about Rose). Namely his shooting, it's silky smooth Ray Allen would be proud. It's his seemingly effortless scoring ability.

I'll take Durant over LeBron now (not because LeBron's stats would dip in Miami, but even had he stayed in Cleveland)... LeBron's passing is superior to Durant but Durant's scoring touch at end of games, his desire to be the best and genuine passion for the game, are going to put him in the same sentence as MJ, Magic and Bird when he's done. After LeBron's iffy playoff performances especially... I cannot ignore LeBron's performances when the game counts despite his monster numbers. And I cannot ignore Durant's desire to be the best... it's what will make him surpass LeBron. I'm sure you already noticed Durant's improvement on defense.

I'll take Durant over anyone in the NBA now to build around if the Nuggets were to start from scratch. Melo isn't in this conversation...

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

^Like Bill Simmons put it, how to measure Durant's greatness: had the USA replaced Durant with LeBron at the beginning of the tournament, noone'd be sure if they'd win gold.

They are two totally different players. If you replace Durant with LeBron on the Cavs from the last few seasons they wouldn't have won so many games or made it as far in the post-season. Why? Because there is no way Durant could lead a team with virtually no true PG. LeBron got his 30PPG but his team also needed him to throw in 7-8 assists as well for them to win. Durant can't do that.

The WC is a way to gauge a player's value all right... Durant has proven he is a superstar in the NBA, excelling in the international game proves he's a complete basketball player (the same cannot be said about Rose). Namely his shooting, it's silky smooth Ray Allen would be proud. It's his seemingly effortless scoring ability.

On the NBA level? No, it doesn't. If that was the case Melo would have been considered a better player than LeBron after the 2006 WC's, and both LeBron/Wade would have been considered much better player than Kobe after the 2008 Olympics despite Kobe's strong 4th quarter in the Gold medal game. Hell, Rajon Rondo was widely considered the best PG on Team USA's roster before this summer began yet he couldn't even find time on the court once the exhibitions rolled around.

I'll take Durant over LeBron now (not because LeBron's stats would dip in Miami, but even had he stayed in Cleveland)... LeBron's passing is superior to Durant but Durant's scoring touch at end of games

http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM

Look at that and tell me who has the better scoring touch at the end of games. LeBron nearly doubled Durant in clutch scoring last season and shot 13% better. If you want to be totally blown away, look at how Bron averages nearly double the rebounds, 4x the assists, the same amount of turnovers, 3x the amount of blocks and 3x the amount of steals as Durant in those situations.

Give me a break.

After LeBron's iffy playoff performances especially

Huh? LeBron had 1 really bad playoff game. His next game, which he supposedly threw in the towel, he had 27/19/10. That kind of statline, despite the iffy shooting percentages, would have cracked Durant's top 5 all-time games. For LeBron, it's looked at unfavorably. Durant has proven NOTHING in the post-season yet, and his one appearance was underwhelming. LeBron's career post-season averages are 29.3PPG/8.4RPG/7.3APG/45.9% shooting. He has been to the ECF twice and the Finals once.

http://www.seanpaune.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/koolaid.jpg

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 1

LeBron's got the numbers, but no leadership at all. He quit the final few minutes of Game 6, and all of those turnovers.

And no superstar ever EVER would have a game like Game 5. For all we know he could've staged this.

Durant has shown much more leadership and consistency. And he's so young. You see how he lead Team USA and how he handles his business quietly, focusing on the game of basketball.

It's always hard to tell what motivates LeBron or if he really is into it, but you can tell Durant is into basketball. He's got that instinct that Kobe has.

LeBron's got the numbers, but no leadership at all. He quit the final few minutes of Game 6, and all of those turnovers.

I disagree. He's a relatively decent leader vocally, and way too many times I've seen him take over and dominate games when his team has needed him. He's done it time and time again over the last few years (which was what pushed him from 2003-2006 LeBron to the next level that you've seen in 2007-2010...early on he just didn't show up in the clutch). One series against Boston, one of the toughest defensive teams in NBA history with more talent top to bottom than the Cavs, isn't enough for me to erase all the amazing things he's done in his career. Same with Kobe and his Game 7 against Phoenix in 2006.

And I stand by the opinion that if LeBron can put up such a monster triple double against Boston while quitting, then that speaks volumes to how big a gap there is between he and Durant as pure basketball players.

And no superstar ever EVER would have a game like Game 5. For all we know he could've staged this.

That's just about the worst game I've seen from LeBron since he entered the realm of superstardom. The confidence went out the window, not so much in himself but his team, and it clearly showed. However, for the one time he just kind of went with the flow as opposed to taking over, he's done the exact opposite many times before in equally pressured situations. His Game 5 against Detroit in 2007 is a prime example, as is his entire series against the Magic in 2009, which was one of the most dominant series' I have EVER seen from an individual player. Averaging 38/8/8 against a top 5 defense in the league? That's beyond impressive.

Durant has shown much more leadership and consistency. And he's so young.

More leadership and consistency? Until we see a lot more of Durant leading his team, especially in the post-season in a similar fashion that LeBron has since 2006, I can't say he's anymore of a leader than LeBron. And consistency? MAYBE he's more consistent as a scorer, but that's it. LeBron is a consistent near-triple double machine who has shown more on the defensive end as well as being the FAR superior clutch player (at least on the NBA stage).

And yes, he's young. So was LeBron when he was averaging 31/7/6 as a 21 year old and leading his team to nearly upsetting the defending Eastern Conference champion Pistons. Let's not promote him to the possible GOAT discussion like we did LeBron until he PROVES it.