Smartest NBA Players

Poe

Who do you believe are among the smartest players in the NBA?

Of course, there is no real way to measure this unless we somehow know all of the NBA players' IQs. This is something we have have to judge for ourselves, whether we've seen some particularly smart plays on the court from these players, or they are players we feel give smart answers in interviews, or anything else that gave you the impression that these players are smart.

Off the top of my head, Rajon Rondo, Manu Ginobili, Steve Blake, and Shane Battier come to mind. Also Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant.

• Owner

Other than those you mentioned, Tim Duncan has a very high basketball IQ. Gasol is up there, somewhere.

I know some will think I'm kidding, but Luke Walton is a candidate as well. Too bad he's not a better player, or healthy enough to be a good role player.

Rondo? that seems kinda random to me I don't know. Steve Nash has to be up there for sure, Jason Kidd as well, most white players seriously usually have a pretty good basketball IQ since they don't typically have that natural athleticism to make them naturally effective.

Rondo? that seems kinda random to me I don't know. Steve Nash has to be up there for sure, Jason Kidd as well, most white players seriously usually have a pretty good basketball IQ since they don't typically have that natural athleticism to make them naturally effective.

Agreed Rondo was a bit f an odd of a pick to me as well.

Rondo isn't that much of a reach, but I wouldn't consider him in the same breath as other points, like Kidd and Nash. His IQ is up there, though.

He is smart to a certain extent that obviously cant be argued against, but I agree putting him in the same category as Kidd and Nash I dont see. His athleticism and surrounding talent make him look much better than he actually is. Unlike Kidd and Nash who really are not all that athletic and don't have the surround talent that Rondo has.

Edited by ChosenOne

obviously that 'theory' (it isn't even a theory just common sense really) would only apply to points, or wings really. At the end of the game the point is the person who's hands you want the ball in, but Rondo is a putrid shooter and shoots a pathetic 62% from the free throw line, as far as I am concerned that is absolutely unacceptable, he has actually managed to get worse from the line since his rookie year.

the importance of a wing being able to shoot (not just free throws) is so much more than a big man, it isn't even comparable which is why I was unsure why you even brought it up.

I'm not asking Rondo to be steve nash but the fact his jumper isn't getting better is pretty bad.

• Owner

Bigs actually shoot poorly, for the most part, because they have insanely large hands. As most of us have found out, either by shooting "paper basketballs" or anything similar to those in size, it's much harder to make a basket with something smaller. Bigger hands don't exactly mean the basketball is smaller, but it gives that player the feeling they are shooting a softball, instead of a basketball.

Hard to explain, really...but to the point: Rondo's hands are large. They don't even match his body, really. He's a weird guy.

I added Rondo because he strikes me as a very smart player. It's actually no surprise to me that Doc Rivers recently said Rondo is the smartest player he's ever coached. His basketball IQ is a lot higher than people think, and he's incredibly creative.

And not being able to shoot very well says very little about your intelligence. That should be completely obvious. If you need proof, just ask Tim Duncan. I'm sure both he and Rondo have worked very hard on their free throws, but just have a lot more difficulty finding the touch than others.

You can knock on Rondo for being a poor shooter, but that has nothing to do with basketball IQ. Shooting is a skill, IQ is an intangible.

1. Kobe

2. Duncan

3. Garnett

4. Nash

5. Kidd

These lists seem to opinionated though, you can't really make a clear distinction between Nash, Rondo, Kidd, etc. They are all up there as players with the highest basketball IQ.