Rondo Eager To Prove He's NBA's Best Point Guard

Poe

Rajon Rondo is eager to prove that he is the NBA's best point guard.

“That I’m the best,’’ Rondo said. “Hands down. No speculation. ‘Oh, he may be top three, top five, top 10.’ No, I’m the best.’’

“Every great player has to find something to motivate themselves, to get themselves to the next level,’’ Paul Pierce said. “Rondo still has some ways to go to get to where I think he can go. That’s why he continues to work. But he’s going to have to find something to continue to motivate himself. Yeah, he got the contract. Yeah, he got a ring. Yeah, he made the All-Star team. But there’s still a lot of things for him to accomplish. That’s up to him to find a motivation each and every day to improve himself.’’

“I’m not looking to be the best one year or to have people think you’re the best one year,’’ Rondo said. “You’ve got to prove it every night. Every night somebody’s going to be gunning for that spot.’’

Source

I actually don't think that's too far fetched of a statement... if he had a jumper. We'll see how far he's gotten on that part of his game.

It is too far fetched

Deron and CP3 are way above him.

I believe Chris Paul is the best PG in the NBA. Comparing him an Rajon from a statistical standpoint, RR is about even with CP3 in assists, steals, and rebounds.

What separates CP3, and the only thing that significantly separates him statistically, is free throw shooting and three point shooting, which also gives CP3 a better true shooting percentage.

Scoring wise, Rajon is about as good of a slasher as Chris Paul, if not better because he still manages to score at the rim so well despite how much defenses sag on him. Add shooting to Rondo's game, and he's up there with CP3. Statistically, at least.

I believe Chris Paul is the best PG in the NBA. Comparing him an Rajon from a statistical standpoint, RR is about even with CP3 in assists, steals, and rebounds.

What separates CP3, and the only thing that significantly separates him statistically, is free throw shooting and three point shooting, which also gives CP3 a better true shooting percentage.

Scoring wise, Rajon is about as good of a slasher as Chris Paul, if not better because he still manages to score at the rim so well despite how much defenses sag on him. Add shooting to Rondo's game, and he's up there with CP3. Statistically, at least.

CP3 is a top 5 NBA player, and dominant on the level of Wade and company, I seriously doubt Rondo will ever reach that level, if his jumper is still this bad by this point, it probably never will be very good.

It is funny he says all of this with no mention about his jumper, is he just ignoring that or does he think he doesn't need one?

Shooting isn't the only thing that seperates them statistically. Volume is the other thing, and when comparing Rondo to the likes of CP3 it is a huge factor. Paul's a guy that averages about 7-10PPG more than Rondo and has proven for years that he can single-handedly dominate games as both a passer and scorer. Rondo has his little spurts and can occasionally drop 25-30, but it is a very rare occurance because he just doesn't have that scorer's mentality. To give an example, last season Rondo had 3 regular season games where he scored 25+ points. Paul scored 25+ points in 4 of the Hornet's first five games last season.

It is very easy to say, "Well, if Rondo had a jumper he could be a 20PPG+ scorer," or, "Well, if Rondo wasn't on the Celtics his average would go way up." Fact of the matter is he has a piss-poor jumper, and we have no idea how his style of play would change if he acquired that jumper (some players tend to fall in love with it once they develop a jumper, which would mean his efficiency suffer). Also, he was on a team that struggled mightily for a good portion of last season to score, and he still wasn't able to elevate himself to produce at a high volume, which tells me he just doesn't have that mentality as a player. Because of this, and the fact that Paul is a truly dominant and top 5 player in the league, and it's kind of crazy to call Rondo the best PG in the league (even though I wouldn't expect him to say anything different).

• Owner

Basically, Rondo is a deserving all-star point guard, while Paul and Williams are superstar point guards.

One plays off of his other all-star teammates extremely well, while the other two have their non-star teammates play off of them.

When or if Rondo ever becomes "the man" on the Celtics as far as carrying the offensive load goes...I'll start to consider it. As noted already, he's not expected to drop 20 a night, run the offense, defend the best players, AND see double teams. Once he hits superstar level, and he's carrying a mightier load, he'll be in that discussion.

Of course, you can't fault him for thinking he's the best point...but you can definitely fault him for not playing like it.