Arenas really injured

Real Deal

I wonder when people will finally agree with me that the only positive from a possibly healthy Arenas this season is to get his trade value up? The season hasn't even started yet and the circus around Arenas is already getting a tad bit out of hand.

• Owner

I wonder when people will finally agree with me that the only positive from a possibly healthy Arenas this season is to get his trade value up? The season hasn't even started yet and the circus around Arenas is already getting a tad bit out of hand.

Haha, I've been saying that for a few years now.

Who specifically was disagreeing with you? I think quite a few people have said the same thing as you.

If the Wizards can manage his personality, you have two very high level players in Arenas and Wall on the same team. That's not a weapon you want to give up so easily, not without testing it first.

If the Wizards can manage his personality, you have two very high level players in Arenas and Wall on the same team. That's not a weapon you want to give up so easily, not without testing it first.

His personality has never been managed (and it's apparantly continued), he's missed around 70% of the last 3 seasons combined, he's had a few serious knee injuries (which tend to effect you throughout your career), and he's getting paid as a max player in a time where the NBA may institute a hard cap, or at the very least a lowered soft cap.

I just don't know what to say anymore...

• Like 1

I just don't know what to say anymore...

You're still talking about the past, and still have supplied no reasons why the Wizards shouldn't wait and see how he and Wall play together before making a decision about Gilbert's future. You've laid out an argument on how the Wall and Arenas combo might not work out, but you do not know whether it will or will not work out. That's something we have to wait and then see how they defer to one another when we actually see them play. You can't make a decision on something before knowing how it's going to play out.

And the new CBA will likely lower existing contracts as well, so that's probably out of the argument.

Edited by Poe

• Owner

And the new CBA will likely lower existing contracts as well, so that's probably out of the argument.

By percentages, so he'll still have a monster contract, compared to other deserving players, and his contract amount and length will continue to hurt the Wizards.

You're still talking about the past, and still have supplied no reasons why the Wizards shouldn't wait and see how he and Wall play together before making a decision about Gilbert's future. You've laid out an argument on how the Wall and Arenas combo might not work out, but you do not know whether it will or will not work out. That's something we have to wait and then see how they defer to one another when we actually see them play. You can't make a decision on something before knowing how it's going to play out.

You gotta use the past to predict the future. The issue is if you play this out a few years and it ends up NOT working out, which the evidence clearly supports is most likely, then you've paid this guy a disgusting amount, while delaying the development of the younger guys and handicapping the team's cap flexibility. If he has ONE more injury, his trade value may forever be shot and he'll either be untradable (until the brink of his contract's expiration), or they won't get anywhere near the value they could get this year if he's healthy up until the deadline.

And that doesn't even account for all the horrible publicity he continues to attract. There are many pro teams throughout other sports that would have dumped Arenas a long time ago just for the crap he's pulled off the court. In the NBA it's harder to do that, but in Arenas' case his on-court problems are also a huge question mark as well.

No one knows how the new CBA will play out, but either way Arenas' contract will be a major salary handicap for the Wizards, and the potential for it to be an even greater detriment with the new CBA is very possible.

You gotta use the past to predict the future. The issue is if you play this out a few years and it ends up NOT working out, which the evidence clearly supports is most likely, then you've paid this guy a disgusting amount, while delaying the development of the younger guys and handicapping the team's cap flexibility. If he has ONE more injury, his trade value may forever be shot and he'll either be untradable (until the brink of his contract's expiration), or they won't get anywhere near the value they could get this year if he's healthy up until the deadline.

And that doesn't even account for all the horrible publicity he continues to attract. There are many pro teams throughout other sports that would have dumped Arenas a long time ago just for the crap he's pulled off the court. In the NBA it's harder to do that, but in Arenas' case his on-court problems are also a huge question mark as well.

1) We don't know if having Gilbert play will "handicap" John Wall's development. That is a prediction, not a fact.

2) Gilbert has a large contract, yet he could very well be a top notch player. He did average 23 points and 7 assists when he wasn't fully healthy. Now he's had nearly a year to rest and recover. He may still be overpaid, but he''s not just a big contract at the end of the bench like Eddy Curry.

3) I'm not saying they shouldn't trade him. If an opportunity arises where they can make a deal that will both benefit their team from a talent standpoint and create a safer future before the deadline, by all means.

4) What Arenas created this time in his "publicity" was more of a positive than a negative, at least the way I see it. He made a sacrifice for a teammate. It shows the relationship he has with them, and what he's willing to do for them. That's a positive.

Again, you can't decide Gilbert's future until we see how things play out. If he doesn't fit well with the team, then trade him. He's still a very high level player and I'm sure a deal can be done if Arenas proves he can still play consistently. All I'm saying is that trading him is Plan B. Plan A is to make him and Wall fit together and make more use out of the contract they gave Arenas in the first place.

No one knows how the new CBA will play out, but either way Arenas' contract will be a major salary handicap for the Wizards, and the potential for it to be an even greater detriment with the new CBA is very possible.

I meant that it could be out of the argument for his contract to potentially become a bigger problem than it is, if the CBA is to lower existing contracts.

The season doesn't start for another 20 days, this is a minor strain, I'm not worried about this at all.

Nitro is probably right, but I still have faith in Gil and still believe he can come back and help this team. His presence on the court won't delay the development of our younger guys, I think it's pretty clear he's willing to be a team player and is past the 20 shots per game player he once was.