Memphis recruit, Latavious Williams to play in China

Scratch Latavious Williams off the list as the first big-time recruit for Josh Pastner, the 6-8 forward from Christian Life Center in Humble, Texas is headed to China. Following in the footsteps of Brandon Jennings and Jeremy Tyler, Williams is opting to get paid while he plays next season.

“It was a difficult decision,” Williams said in a press release to Rivals. “But after consulting with a number of people, and taking my family situation into consideration, playing overseas is the best move for me.

“It will not be an easy transition, but I have surrounded myself with a core of very competent people who I trust and who have my best interests at heart, so I am confident that things will work out very well.”

Why China? While Yao Ming is really the only player of note to make it to the NBA via the China Basketball Association, one agent with many overseas clients noted that teams in China tend to pay well.

Source

Tough break for Memphis.

Wow, real tough for us. Our front court would of been pretty solid with Williams and Coleman. I've heard a lot of good things about Angel Garcia though. I think Williams gave us a strong chance of making the tourney, I'm not so sure about now.

He would've been better off going to college. People knew Jennings was a stud before he left and he was also a guard. I think it would be tougher for a guy like Williams in Europe. Hopefully he gets the PT Jennings deserved but never got.