Jamal Crawford's Future With Atlanta

Crawford has made it crystal clear that he either wants an extension or to be traded to a team that will be willing to give him an extension. He has stated on multiple occasions that he wants to stay with Atlanta but he wants that financial security as well.

The problem is that Atlanta just gave Johnson a max contract, have guys like Williams and Smith locked into sizeable contracts and will need to work out an extension for Al Horford. The Hawks may be reaching their internal budget and the amount that it will take to re-sign Crawford may push them over that budget.

How much longer will Crawford stay with the Hawks? Will they come to terms on an extension or will he be traded at some point this season?

• Owner

I thought about this last month, and I got a laugh out of it because, funny enough, another Crawford may take his place. If Jordan Crawford pans out to be a good player off the bench, he's much cheaper and younger than Jamal, and it makes sense to go with him.

Of course, you can't expect the rookie to turn out to be a better player than Jamal, but he was an excellent scorer in college, and it's not too far-fetched to believe that those scoring skills will translate to the NBA. While Morrison's didn't, Durant's did...and for all of the examples you can give leaning one way, you can give just as many in the other direction.

Will Crawford stay? I don't know...probably not, if the money isn't there. Typically, when a player states he wants an extension, he means what he says, and he could be more focused on his future than helping his current team (especially when the team isn't a contender).

His contract is dead after this season, though, and he's making around $10-11 million a year, so he'll be looking to cash it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta shopping him before the deadline.

I understand him wanting the security of a long term contract but I think it's best for the organization let the season play out and just see what happens. I just hope he doesn't tank his performance or the team's chemistry this year in retaliation of not getting an extension.

One risk of giving him that extension now is that his salary could make it difficult to resign Horford.

As far as the extension goes, real contenders spend more money then the Hawks and have no problem paying luxury tax. Maybe the ASG will shock us all, but don't count on it.