If the Spurs are healthy

AboveLegit

• Owner

The Thunder would run them to death, and they are no match for the Lakers in a seven-game series.

Other than that, though, they can probably beat any other team in the West, but I can't really say they'll be fully healthy, either. There's always a problem, it seems like.

If they are completely healthy, if Blair and Hill can continue to improve, and if RJ finally decided to play like he did in NJ, I wouldn't be surprised to see them knock off Dallas or OKC in the post-season. I doubt it will happen though as Parker/Manu are injury prone, Duncan will not be fresh in April/May, and RJ just doesn't fit in that offense.

Still, after the Lakers no one except a healthy Rockets team and MAYBE the Mavs are that much of a threat IMO. OKC still has some holes and just doesn't have the talent to match up with Miami/LA/Boston/Orlando, no one knows how Phoenix/Utah will bounce back after losing their star big men, and I wanna wait and see if Oden can come back healthy before considering Porland a serious threat. I think if they are motivated and gel together better than what we saw last season, the Mavs have the right mixture to give the Lakers a run. Talent, experience, depth and size...as long as some of the older guys can stay fresh, I think they will be the clear-cut 2nd best team in the West.

Not too sure, their bench really isn't a huge part of the team and that is probably their biggest weakness. Even if they remain healthy I'm sure Duncan will require rests throughout the season so it might affect their record and their players might end up being fatigued. I think they may be able to get a playoff spot, there's probably no doubt about it but the teams I think will end up higher than them for sure are the Lakers, Mavs, Blazers and Thunder.

Not too sure, their bench really isn't a huge part of the team and that is probably their biggest weakness. Even if they remain healthy I'm sure Duncan will require rests throughout the season so it might affect their record and their players might end up being fatigued. I think they may be able to get a playoff spot, there's probably no doubt about it but the teams I think will end up higher than them for sure are the Lakers, Mavs, Blazers and Thunder.

I've watched the Spurs play for years now. If anything, their bench is one of their strengths.

Everything you see this year in the regular season is not the Spurs full potential. You'll see the Spurs trying different rotations, Duncan, Manu, and Parker will take cuts in minutes. It's about who steps up. Hill made a name for himself last year. Blair worked hard and overcame his knee issues. Jefferson however, was the key guy who didn't step up. I expect him to become the player the Spurs traded for. Mason is no longer there, and we need Anderson to be that shooter. I'm really curious to see what Splitter will do. Acquisitions of Anderson, Splitter, and even Bobby Simmons will be key.

Well, to be honest I've been very high on the Spurs so far this season. With Tony Parker coming off a disappointing injury-plagued season, you know he's out to prove to people that he hasn't lost a step like the "experts" were saying he had. He showed against my Pacers that he still has the lightning fast moves to get to the bucket and finish. Tim Duncan looked amazing after losing that weight over the offseason, and I also liked what I saw from Jefferson, Blair, and George Hill. Whoever says that their bench is bad, just has not watched this team ever. With guys like Hill, McDyess, and even Bonner coming off the bench you can't say that they are weak. Sure, they may not have flashy names, but they are all very fundamentally sound, and good basketball players.

In answer to the question how far could they go, I could see them making a play for the Conference Finals, but more than likely lose in the second round. I'll be rooting for them assuming they aren't playing the Pacers.

• Owner

I've watched the Spurs play for years now. If anything, their bench is one of their strengths.

Everything you see this year in the regular season is not the Spurs full potential. You'll see the Spurs trying different rotations, Duncan, Manu, and Parker will take cuts in minutes. It's about who steps up. Hill made a name for himself last year. Blair worked hard and overcame his knee issues. Jefferson however, was the key guy who didn't step up. I expect him to become the player the Spurs traded for. Mason is no longer there, and we need Anderson to be that shooter. I'm really curious to see what Splitter will do. Acquisitions of Anderson, Splitter, and even Bobby Simmons will be key.

That could be a problem, though, because the Spurs will continue to enter the playoffs without home court advantage against strong competition.

They had winning seasons of 58, 59 and 60 when they won their last three championships. The 37-13 record they had during their first ring was on pace to being a 61-win season, without the lockout.

While this particular team still has talent, Duncan is declining defensively, and Manu seems to be playing injured every year. They need a strong season, home court advantage against at least six other playoff teams out West, and a healthy big three to break into the WCF and actually make a run against the defending champs.

I just can't say it's going to work out that way, though. I actually wouldn't mind, and I don't hate the Spurs as much as I used to...but without a legit perimeter defender to slow Bryant down even a little bit (like Bowen), and Duncan being a couple of steps slower defensively, it's a reach asking guys like Hill, Blair and Splitter to step into larger roles and contribute against the top teams in the NBA, and additionally, expect success in the form of a Finals appearance.

Honestly I think if the Spurs stay healthy throughout the regular season they can get a top 2-4 seed and get HC for a series or two.

IMO they can. As most know Parker was banged up for most of the season last year, (and Manu was still rusty for the first half) so Duncan had to carry a bigger load than i'm su Pop wanted last year. This year Parker and manu are both rested and healthy and should be able to take a lot of pressure off of Duncan so he doesn;t have to carry the offensive load so much. The Spurs also have Tiago Splitter who will most likely debut tonight vs the Clippers. If Splitter can be the player that the Spurs think he is that should also take some pressure off of Duncan on both ends of the floor. Tiago could actually help Duncan defensively, allowing him to focus more on his man and not worry about the weak side.

Last year the Colts biggest weakness was thier bench. Roger Mason and Keith Bogans were absolutely terrible, with Hill and Blair gaining more expierience and confidence plus the added James Anderson and Veteran Mcdyess the Spurs have a solid bench. The only thing i'm concerned about i the lack of depth at the SF position. Which brings me to Richard Jefferson. He obviously was a big let down last season, but so far Rj looks a hell of a lot more comfortable. His jump shot looks improved and he is looking to attack the basket every time he touches the ball.

A healthy big three, an improved Blair, RJ, and Hill plus Anderson and Tiago I think the Spurs are a legit threat this year. Can they hang with the Lakers? Probably not, but I do think that NO team in the West can beat a healthy Spurs team in a 7 game series. That includes KD and the Thunder.

Last year the Colts biggest weakness was thier bench. Roger Mason and Keith Bogans were absolutely terrible, with Hill and Blair gaining more expierience and confidence plus the added James Anderson and Veteran Mcdyess the Spurs have a solid bench.

Oh ya agreed Colts should not have signed Roger Mason and Keith Bogans! I KNOW PEYTON DIDN'T LIKE THAT :P

Good to have you on the site Funch.

I think counting out the Spurs is a big no no, every time you do it they come back and make you look like a fool. If healthy they are a force like always, but they will not beat the Lakers and as Real Deal said the Thunder would just be a terrible match up for them. At least you know what you are getting as a Spurs fan, but they are not a championship team.

Oh ya agreed Colts should not have signed Roger Mason and Keith Bogans! I KNOW PEYTON DIDN'T LIKE THAT :P

Good to have you on the site Funch.

I think counting out the Spurs is a big no no, every time you do it they come back and make you look like a fool. If healthy they are a force like always, but they will not beat the Lakers and as Real Deal said the Thunder would just be a terrible match up for them. At least you know what you are getting as a Spurs fan, but they are not a championship team.

Lol the sad part was that wasn't the only time I confused the Colts and Spurs in that post I thought I fixed all of those :(. Damn you ESPN lol.

Anyway if you all have watched any Spurs games this year you have to have noticed the significant improvements by RJ. Yes it is only 3 games into the season but him alone should make the Spurs that much more dangerous. Not to mention James Anderson looks like he can be a spark off the bench. The kid knows how to score the ball and has a nice three point stroke. He is getting a lot of open looks thus far. Hell even Gary Neal has had a good couple of games thus far.

I'm a big homer but I think they could beat the Thunder in a 7 game.