Do You Ever Get Mad At Your Teams' Fan Base?

The Lone Granger

Simple question, do your teams' fans every make you mad for any reason? Lack of support or just annoying?

I'd have to say that yes, as a Pacers fan I've been very angry with most of the fans that we used to have. Back in the Reggie Miller days, we had a ton of diehard fans, but once the going got a little rough, they gave up. Through those down times, they didn't root for their team at all, and we almost lost the Pacers from Indiana because of it. Finally, they are starting to come back because of the acquisition of Collison to go along with Granger and Hibbert and the rest of the group. We actually had a sellout crowd for our season opener against the 76ers, that's the first time that has happened in forever.

Thoughts?

I get annoyed with Heat fans because no one ever showed up until now since the Shaq days. Even with a superstar like Wade people still wouldn't show.

Cane fans are the biggest group of idiot fans in the nation hands down. I don't even think its close in terms of knee-jerk reactions.

I remember being on a Nuggets forum for a while and I quit posting there because of people being way too critical about George Karl (in their eyes, he was the biggest idiot on earth). Everything he did was wrong, and every failure by the Nuggets was because of him. So yeah, I was quite mad.

The worst are the rap fans on RealGM. They are so hot and cold lol.

Toronto sports fans in general are insanely hot and cold, at least from my experience.

The Leafs got off to a hot start this season and people were talking about them being a lock for the playoffs, blah blah blah. Then they lose a couple in a row and it was "this team sucks". They beat Florida and they are suddenly a playoff team again and now they've been shut out two games in a row and they are the worst team in the league, everybody other than Kessel and Schenn should be traded and they are a lock to finish last place.

I love it. :lol:

I wasn't on the internet during the Lakers mediocre era, but it'd be interesting to see how many 'fans' they had then. The Laker fans here are actually pretty smart and down to earth, my biggest beef is Laker fans typically come across as LAKER FANS rather than NBA FANS, which is the only thing that annoys me. I enjoy following the NBA just as much, if not more, than the Raptors.

Cavs fans were EXTREMELY annoying the past 2 seasons. If you said anything bad about them you were either jealous of them or a hater hoping LBJ would leave. Knicks fans come across pretty stupid at times, Celtic fans sometimes too, though the bandwagon isn't quite as full as it was back in 08.

Toronto fans are annoying, especially on RealGM, but let's not kid ourselves, there are some really really good posters there, and I lurk that [expletive] all the time. I'll be the first to admit I am delusional at times, and get excited over things I shouldn't. Prime examples being Jose back a few years ago, I also thought JO would be a huge deal for us, but he lied about his knee being 100%. I have learned not to not be so optimistic since then.

Pretty much all the good teams have annoying fans because most of them are just frontrunners. It will be a great day when the city of Toronto has a contender, just hopefully it isn't the Jays :lol:

• Owner

I wasn't on the internet during the Lakers mediocre era, but it'd be interesting to see how many 'fans' they had then. The Laker fans here are actually pretty smart and down to earth, my biggest beef is Laker fans typically come across as LAKER FANS rather than NBA FANS, which is the only thing that annoys me. I enjoy following the NBA just as much, if not more, than the Raptors.

The fanbase lost a lot of fans after Shaq left, actually, and it didn't help that we had a 34-win season that first year without him.

And, yeah, it's funny you mention that. Over at TLN, I have no idea how many times I've raked people in the eyes for not seeing the talent among the other 29 teams in the league, and I've stated over and over again I'm a fan of the NBA over the Lakers...and because of that, it means I'm not a true fan, according to many.

I absolutely love the team, but I was watching the NBA before I was a Lakers fan. I wasn't born in Los Angeles, and my family (except for my cousin) didn't care about basketball, so it wasn't like my dad was telling me who to root for. LA was a 53-win team when they traded for Bryant, didn't even have Shaq yet, and I chose them as my team. Most Lakers fans have a problem with that.

If the Lakers were wiped from the league today, I'd still be watching the NBA tomorrow.

The fanbase lost a lot of fans after Shaq left, actually, and it didn't help that we had a 34-win season that first year without him.

And, yeah, it's funny you mention that. Over at TLN, I have no idea how many times I've raked people in the eyes for not seeing the talent among the other 29 teams in the league, and I've stated over and over again I'm a fan of the NBA over the Lakers...and because of that, it means I'm not a true fan, according to many.

I absolutely love the team, but I was watching the NBA before I was a Lakers fan. I wasn't born in Los Angeles, and my family (except for my cousin) didn't care about basketball, so it wasn't like my dad was telling me who to root for. LA was a 53-win team when they traded for Bryant, didn't even have Shaq yet, and I chose them as my team. Most Lakers fans have a problem with that.

If the Lakers were wiped from the league today, I'd still be watching the NBA tomorrow.

whenever i tell people at TLN i'm an NBA fan first and Laker fan second nobody seems to have a problem :unsure:

• Owner

whenever i tell people at TLN i'm an NBA fan first and Laker fan second nobody seems to have a problem :unsure:

Considering I'm hated as much as I'm loved on there, and that I run the entire board, it's a bit different.

I'd do a post search and show you, but I'm busy creating our banners here, and it would probably be tough to find those topics. I was blasted for about three pages once.

Memphis has shown that it CAN support the Grizzlies when there's actually something to support.

My biggest problem is the idiots who show up in Kobe jerseys every time the Lakers come to town. That will forever remain a pet peeve of mine.

New to the site, BTW. It looks great.

• Owner

Memphis has shown that it CAN support the Grizzlies when there's actually something to support.

My biggest problem is the idiots who show up in Kobe jerseys every time the Lakers come to town. That will forever remain a pet peeve of mine.

New to the site, BTW. It looks great.

Unwritten rule, you have to introduce yourself. ;)

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/forum/50-red-carpet-introductions

Bottom of the site. :D

Mmh... not really... Well yes sometimes I don't understand the crowd in the Madison. I mean when we win we have one of the best crowd of the league, our fans are unbelievable. But when we lose... The fans don't hesitate to boo our own players.

I especially hated that in the 90's, I hated when they hated on Ewing.. I can't understand that. Ewing did so much for us, he always played at 100%, always gave all he got, he was the first one to be disappointed when we lost. So I don't see how treating him like [expletive] could help in anyway... Ewing said many times that he didn't understand that, and I'm with him 100%.

Besides I remember that Reggie Miller was free agent in the mid 90's (95 or 96 I think...) and New York wanted to sign him. Reggie hesitated for a while but he eventually decided to stay in Indiana. And one of the reasons why was the Knicks crowd. He said the same thing I said in this post, that when the team wins, it's just amazing to be a Knicks, but when the team loses...

But other than that I have no problem with my teams' fan base.

Considering I'm hated as much as I'm loved on there, and that I run the entire board, it's a bit different.

I'd do a post search and show you, but I'm busy creating our banners here, and it would probably be tough to find those topics. I was blasted for about three pages once.

yeah, i guess it would be kinda different for you :lol:

well IMO it doesn't make sense to like the team more than the league, because without the league your team wouldn;t exist.

A lot of the REALLY active Lakers fans here that have been around for a while were around during the mediocre era, which makes it interesting. We really don't have an abundance of Lakers frontrunners here, which is interesting considering the past three seasons.

The frontrunning Lakers fans get VERY annoying and VERY fast.

Edited by Lkr
  • Like 1

A lot of the REALLY active Lakers fans here that have been around for a while were around during the mediocre era, which makes it interesting. We really don't have an abundance of Lakers frontrunners here, which is interesting considering the past three seasons.

The frontrunning Lakers fans get VERY annoying and VERY fast.

This. It sucked posting here in the 2006-2007 years :lol:

And the frontrunning Laker fans do get very annoying, I encounter a lot of them. But really theres only 2 types of fans in LA. The Laker fans, and Laker haters pretending to be Clipper fans.

Similar to what has been shared above, I was disappointed in select Yankee fans from Games 3 and 4 of this year's ALCS. I'm referring to knowledgeable members of the fanbase when I say this. After Game 3, people telling me that the season was over depressed me more than the outcome of the game itself. Just hearing the idea of the season being "over" in the midst of a series separated by one game was disheartening. Following Game 4, seeing fans convinced that we had no chance angered me in a sense. The way I saw it, they refused to support their team for the remainder of the postseason because the situation wasn't looking as bright and comfortable as it was for much of the 2009 playoffs. They chose to only act like fans when they saw their team in an advantageous situation.

As for Nets fans, the only thing that comes to mind was the period of time when fans at the Izod Center were booing the team, as if the team received much support at home with all the empty seats to begin with. But looking back at it, you figure that many of those fans were uninformed ones who received cheap tickets to go sit in the arena for three quarters and leave. Not to mention, who actually enjoys getting in and out of the Meadowlands on a weekday night...